Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Last week I was in Fukuoka, Japan, And I visited the Jump official Store. Most of the merchandising was One Piece, Gintama, Naruto, Jojo and a little bit of Kuroko and Haikyuu.
I was rather shocked by the lack of World Trigger merchandising. Most of my Japanese friends don't read it either (but I don't think that's an indicator since they're in their 20s)
After seeing the real impact in a Jump Store in Japan, I kind of think that the West is overhyping a series that's not that popular there. (At least compared to the really popular stuff)
Maybe I got it wrong, but I can't see WT becoming a flagship or even getting to the 300 chapter mark.
But I may be wrong, of course. It was only one store.
Calling it a "flagship" and comparing it to the series you mentioned would be ridiculous, but that wasn't the point of the last posts. It was about World Trigger not being in danger of cancellation anytime soon. I haven't seen a lot of overhyping either except for it being seen as a great series in terms of "quality", which doesn't really have any connection to Japanese popularity anyway.
Seriously, how often do you even get something that can compare to the likes of One Piece, Naruto and Gintama? Even a hit like "Boku no Hero" still has a hard road ahead of it to maybe reach that point eventually.
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Youd really use a pervy mousepad? iCant.
I would call it an orthopaedic mouse pad to protect my wrist. If I had a mac and a mouse you could name me then iCunt.
But I guess my girlfriend would leave me if I would buy such a distasteful object
 

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey all, this is somewhat of a thread related question so I thought I'd ask. I distinctly remember a user in this thread posted a gif of the manga process from One Piece. Could someone please kindly post it again or PM me? Much is appreciated :)
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I actually liked it. I didn't know what to expect going in, but the art and leads are awesome, and I love some of the expressions made. I'll be following this raw for sure. That being said, I dunno about it's overall survival, but I'd be willing to hope it's successful.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I actually liked it. I didn't know what to expect going in, but the art and leads are awesome, and I love some of the expressions made. I'll be following this raw for sure. That being said, I dunno about it's overall survival, but I'd be willing to hope it's successful.
The mangaka surely knows how to play to his strengths and weaknesses.
 

Soul Soul Brigade

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2015
Messages
220
Reaction score
96
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The mangaka surely knows how to play to his strengths and weaknesses.
I agree, the art in the manga was rather simple yet stylish. I liked how it combined action with comedy. Will definitely be following this, and will also be buying the vols when they come out.
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Hey all, this is somewhat of a thread related question so I thought I'd ask. I distinctly remember a user in this thread posted a gif of the manga process from One Piece. Could someone please kindly post it again or PM me? Much is appreciated :)
I guess you mean that gif: http://imgur.com/ndKpk6Q
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Did anyone read chapter 2 of Mononofu and can share an opinion?
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Saying the truth I didn't like it.The art make looks the characters as kids and the story looks a bit banal and too weird,and the characters don't attract me at all
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Saying the truth I didn't like it.The art make looks the characters as kids and the story looks a bit banal and too weird,and the characters don't attract me at all
I agree here. The art wasn't something special or noteworthy, the gag faces were rather bland and the two main protagonists look and act like generic stereotypes. The girl is afraid of all the things and the white/blue haired mysterious guy is an overpowered i-will-do-what-i-want guy. At least it doesn't try to win over the readers with unnecessary fanservice in the first chapter.
 

Soul Soul Brigade

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2015
Messages
220
Reaction score
96
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree here. The art wasn't something special or noteworthy, the gag faces were rather bland and the two main protagonists look and act like generic stereotypes. The girl is afraid of all the things and the white/blue haired mysterious guy is an overpowered i-will-do-what-i-want guy. At least it doesn't try to win over the readers with unnecessary fanservice in the first chapter.
I found the gag faces quite funny. To each there own I guess. In the end Samon's survival will be based on how many people like it. Quality doesn't judge a series anymore *cough* Black Clover *cough*
 

ziko77

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 9, 2015
Messages
10
Reaction score
7
Gender
Female
Country
Fun Forum
Read this
Seems like people forget what is "Quality" mean. It's a perspectives. In the end to satisfy the consumer. It synchronized with what people like and what people need.

You can say the series have no quality because you don't like it, and other people also can say that series have good quality because they like it.
 

Soul Soul Brigade

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2015
Messages
220
Reaction score
96
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Read this
Seems like people forget what is "Quality" mean. It's a perspectives. In the end to satisfy the consumer. It synchronized with what people like and what people need.

You can say the series have no quality because you don't like it, and other people also can say that series have good quality because they like it.
By your definition, Black Clover would still be consider poor quality. By the definition you provided, quality is also based on how a product is compared to other products. Black Clover is easily when of the most terribly written series to grace the pages of Jump in recent years. Yet it found success want to know why? Well me too. I would like to know why Black Clover has found success when other series written by more competent writers (ex: Stealth Symphony, Iron Knight, heck even Kagamigami with it's eminent demise) have not. I get it, people have different tastes, but I feel there is a certain standard when it comes to story telling. I just don't feel Black Clover follows that standard. It has: terrible pacing. unfunny and forced character interactions, and some of the shallowest story telling in recent years.
Black Clover just isn't good. However, it somehow found a dedicated audience, surprising considering Jump's fickle crowd, to vote for it.
I've already read several post of what people think about Black Clover on here. Half hate it; Half enjoy it. I'm on the side that reads it, but still has a distaste for it no matter how hard I try to like it. I enjoyed Hungry Joker, but Black Clover isn't anywhere near as creative as Hungry Joker. I'm just stating my opinion on the Black Clover mater, so please don't turn this into a string of post arguing about Black Clover's quality *glares at SharkBait* In the end it's opinion based, just as everything else in this world is.
 
Last edited:

ziko77

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 9, 2015
Messages
10
Reaction score
7
Gender
Female
Country
Fun Forum
Seems like you misunderstanding what i said, i just want to said that you're wrong when you said "quality doesn't judge a series anymore" because when people talk about a "Quality", it's a mean a perception, and people have different perception, like people have an own opinion or personal taste. You brought up Black Clover first, as if Black Clover survive in Jump because people like it and it's not because its quality.If you said you don't feel Black Clover has a certain good standard and it isn't good, back again it's your own opinion, and i have my opinion too I like Black Clover and when i compare it with other series i think Black Clover is good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top