Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
For almost every year since 2011 I keep doing those videos and MH forums is always the first place I think of to post in, I may rarely comment here but I do come and read comments everyday and quiet enjoy it. Hope you'll enjoy the video to, I tried to do my best, feel free to fix any mistake I did.

What? Toriko only at 23M?

I was expecting a bit higher...before the timeskip it was doing 20M. So the timeskip gave the series only a 3M boost (TS was 13 volumes so that is like 230k/volume for the TS)?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
^ pretty much, you can check it at MAL.
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
1. JoJo
2. Hunter x Hunter
3. Boku no Hero
4. World Trigger
5. Medaka Box

Haven't read a lot Shounen Jump series yet, list might change in the future.
 

justsomeguy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 12, 2016
Messages
43
Reaction score
14
Country
The Wall
For almost every year since 2011 I keep doing those videos and MH forums is always the first place I think of to post in, I may rarely comment here but I do come and read comments everyday and quiet enjoy it. Hope you'll enjoy the video to, I tried to do my best, feel free to fix any mistake I did.

So Slam Dunk sold more per volume than Dragon Ball? :0 Are these worldwide or Japanese sales?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
^ pretty much, you can check it at MAL.
Kave told me it was inaccurate though. He posted this


Volumes 31 & 32 could've easily sold near the mid 300k's but they were released near the end of the year so it's hard to find the data on sales. Everything post-TS was selling 300k+ until Toriko's final year (2016). I doubt it averages to the low 200k's?
 

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
Kave told me it was inaccurate though. He posted this


Volumes 31 & 32 could've easily sold near the mid 300k's but they were released near the end of the year so it's hard to find the data on sales. Everything post-TS was selling 300k+ until Toriko's final year (2016). I doubt it averages to the low 200k's?
They did according to book-rank.net

326,381 (102 days) Toriko volume 31
325,736 (111 days) Toriko volume 32

This site http://www.geocities.jp/jump_manga/ has the most recent numbers from Oricon (really useful site to compare sales btw)
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Finished:

Naruto
Toriko
Babu
Reborn
Bakuman
Dragon Ball

Ongoing:

One Piece
Neverland
BC
Haikyuu
Gintama
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Top as in best or favorite? they have different lists.

Best - only on COMPLETED series
One Piece (only exception)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Eyeshield21
Dragonball
Hoishin Engi

On going Favorite
One Piece
Food War
Yuuna
The Promised Neverland
This is not accurate since they are the only one UP TO DATE at the moment :p:derp. Haikyuu/HZ/Kitmsetsu I haven't catching up.


Completed Favorite
Eyeshield21
Dragonball
Naruto Pre Shippuden
To Love Ru
Sket Dance/Beelzebub/Bakuman
Hoshin Engi was really good, it's surprising to me that it rarely gets mentioned.

As for my top 5 ongoing
1. World Trigger
2. One Piece
3. Toriko The Promise Neverland
4. Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. My Hero Academia
I read everything but Gintama and Food Wars and the rest is pretty meh.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,405
Reaction score
818
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Top 5 series:
Naruto
Dragon ball
One piece
Katekyo hitman reborn
Bleach

Ongoing series:
One piece
Black clover
My hero academia
Food wars
Kimetsu no yaiba
 

Savi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
352
Reaction score
357
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
So Slam Dunk sold more per volume than Dragon Ball? :0 Are these worldwide or Japanese sales?
Japanese circulation and in some cases fused with sales data. Worldwide One Piece sold 406M, Naruto 220M, Dragon Ball 240M. Can't find any info about Slam Dunk, but it was popular in the east mostly, less in the west.

I'm not sure I can have a list of favorites, there are so much titles I love from this magazine. Jojo is number 1 tho, my other favorites are
- Hadashi no Gen
- Dr. Slump
- Hokuto no Ken
- Dragon Ball
- Bastard!!
- I"s (Favorite romance)
- Slam Dunk (Favorite sports)
- Yu-gi-oh!
- Hunter X Hunter
- Eyeshield 21
- Death Note
- Gintama
- Sket Dance (Favorite slice of life/comedy)
- Bakuman
- Beelzebub (The first manga I read every week back to back when it was published)
- Haikyu!
- AssClass
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
1. OP
2. HxH
3. Naruto(especial place on my heart)
4. MHA
5. KnY
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Jump bests series for me

1) Slam Dunk
2) Hikaru no Go
3) Bakuman
4) One Piece
5) SKET DANCE

I don't really follow SAO, but I've heard good things in later materials, which is supposedly an improvement over SAO's 2nd season.
Alicization just started by Yen Press and it has been interesting and intriguing. Kawahara Reki evolved a lot, it is clear in Sword Art Online Progressive and The Isolator. But anyway, if you want to continue, go to LN forum, which, btw, needs some love.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Finished:

1. Toriko
2. YYH
3. Dragon Ball
4. Bleach
5. Bakuman

Ongoing:

1. The Promised Neverland
2. One Piece
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Hinomaru Zumou
5. HxH (this would rank higher, but the constant hiatuses subtracts from my overall enjoyment.)
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Ongoing/finished Naruto, MHA, YYH, Dragon Ball, Neverland or Yuuna. I'm still catching up with Bleach so it could probably move into that 5th spot when I'm done cause from what I've watched I like it alot. OP I used to be so into like Naruto (trust me) but something about it after the Skypiea arc just got too damn dry and I haven't followed it consciously in like over 8 years. Public opinion would say OP is better than Naruto but Naruto's story never got boring to me, it just dragged at certain times after the timeskip.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ongoing/finished Naruto, MHA, YYH, Dragon Ball, Neverland or Yuuna. I'm still catching up with Bleach so it could probably move into that 5th spot when I'm done cause from what I've watched I like it alot. OP I used to be so into like Naruto (trust me) but something about it after the Skypiea arc just got too damn dry and I haven't followed it consciously in like over 8 years. Public opinion would say OP is better than Naruto but Naruto's story never got boring to me, it just dragged at certain times after the timeskip.
The whole war to me was a complete mess...
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
The whole war to me was a complete mess...
It was and that was part of the problem, even if Naruto is my favorite series of anything I've ever read or watched. I had no idea why Kishi made like 5 people become the "final villains". Just got way too dumb with power scaling and not to mention with all the coincidences with the Ashura/Indra story. Shuppuden's main problem was just too much focus on Naruto and Sasuke in general but overall still enjoyed it for the most part.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Do you guys think we'll get another Shonen like DB where the MC becomes an adult mid run
 

Gikiseima

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 17, 2015
Messages
51
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Empire
For almost every year since 2011 I keep doing those videos and MH forums is always the first place I think of to post in, I may rarely comment here but I do come and read comments everyday and quiet enjoy it. Hope you'll enjoy the video to, I tried to do my best, feel free to fix any mistake I did.

seriously no mx0?


Finished
1.Death Note although more prefer the anime ending
2.Slam Dunk
3.Yu-Gi-Oh!
4.Ichigo 100%
5.Naruto (shinobi war arc,dbz route with infinite chakra,which sucks)
Reading
1.Shokugeki no Soma
2.hokuto no ken
3.promised neverland
4.Rookies
5.My hero academia
want to read
1.city hunter
2.cobra
3.isobe
4.medaka box
5.---------
 
Last edited:

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
0. One Piece
1. Gintama
2. Bastard!!
3. Rokudenashi Blues
4. Eyeshield21
5. Sesuji wo Pin!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top