Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What was it about AssClass that made it a million per volume seller? I loved the manga but I can't seem to understand why it resonated so well with so many people. I'm pretty sure everyone including Matsui himself was caught by surprise with the overwhelming success of the series. Makes me wonder if he might be afraid of creating a new series because it would just be compared to AssClass.
He is a VETERAN. Neuro was also a very successfull series.

People keep talking about Matsui but forget Kubo... Zombie Floan flopped harcorely and Bleach was a success...
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I know we're more than likly getting the Stain arc on MHA 2 but why do all the trailers put the focus of the season on the sports festival?
For people who are new to the anime
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I know we're more than likly getting the Stain arc on MHA 2 but why do all the trailers put the focus of the season on the sports festival?
Because the first cour is going to be the festival arc, the Stain Arc isn't even fully confirmed yet tbh.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Someone else asked the same question about Ass Class last topic and I made a post talking about why I think it done so well:

The premise was unique enough to make it stand out while being familiar enough to hit all the right notes with jump readers, it could do character drama, comedy, action, and sol all as natural parts of the story, the MC was very memorable and easy to recognise, it had a bit of an edge to it with the assassination stuff without taking it too far and it showed some pretty solid 'battle of wits' type stuff with the assassination plans which we know jump readers often love.

All in all it had an incredibly well crafted first chapter lets you know exactly what it's about and immediately shows it's actually able to live up to what it's building up by giving the readers a cool moment with a lot of impact.

It's the perfect wsj series really. It tackles multiple genres and does them all quite well, it's very easy to promote, and it has something to appeal to everyone while not being directly comparable to anything else in the magazine so it never had to compete with something bigger or newer that filled the same niche.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I know we're more than likly getting the Stain arc on MHA 2 but why do all the trailers put the focus of the season on the sports festival?
The PVs only show content from the first few episodes, which would be the Sports Festival. They did the same with S1. It doesn't mean we aren't getting to Stain, which we are. There would be no point showcasing any finished animation they have, if any, of the Stain stuff this early. Hell, they didn't even reveal Shigaraki's voice actor until the week before he appeared.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm just going to take this opportunity to remind everyone not to post spoilers here when stuff gets early scans. There are threads for each series, so please keep this one spoiler free for the people who prefer to wait for official releases and stuff like that.

By which I kind of just mean Neverland because that's the only one I actually care about enough to enforce anything, but still.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
The only reason AssClass success was because Korosensei is my spirit animal. As you all know I am the Editor in Chief in disguise so I asked the marketing department to push AssClass, and asked the sales department to print 300,000 first print :hi.
-----------------

Joking aside, I knew AssClass will be a success before I knew it is a WSJ's series. @tirakai hit all the point of why it is successful series.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What was it about AssClass that made it a million per volume seller? I loved the manga but I can't seem to understand why it resonated so well with so many people. I'm pretty sure everyone including Matsui himself was caught by surprise with the overwhelming success of the series. Makes me wonder if he might be afraid of creating a new series because it would just be compared to AssClass.
The premise and that's pretty much it. Though to be fair readers genuinely liked it because of its depiction of Japanese Highschool life that was pretty much the most down to earth aspect of the manga and the most fully realized setting in a school manga from Jump that doesn't glorify highschool life as for everything else I'm perplexed by it too since the manga is really just a whole ball of nothing through all of its run; the art sucks, the characterization is really weak and the story goes off the rails entirely once the true antagonist appears and it turns out the actual premise of the manga is one giant lie. In the hands of a good writer AssClass could have been really good and own up to its popularity but as of now its pretty much will be remember as just a fad ala Bleach.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Lmao!

AssClass got popular because the premise is amazing and Koro-Sensei is great. Yes, the school kids aren't the most developed characters, but I think it's more about the group than the individuals. They grew and overcame their weakness and each of them feel human and down to earth when they need to, for the most part.

It will be remembered as one of the iconic series of the magazine in this decade, for sure. It started with a bang and ended up with one too.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Ass Class is a rare example of a WSJ that doesn't really go downhill throughout its entire run. At least for me any way. There was some stuff with Kayano which could have been handled better, but that's about it.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Lmao!

AssClass got popular because the premise is amazing and Koro-Sensei is great. Yes, the school kids aren't the most developed characters, but I think it's more about the group than the individuals. They grew and overcame their weakness and each of them feel human and down to earth when they need to, for the most part.
Yet none of the are remotely memorable characters, its easy to say "these characters are human" (which is a laugh by the way since Karma isn't close to being realistic neither is Nagisa's and Kaede over the top backstories) its a whole other story for the manga to actually show it. You know how people in this thread stated that Rurouni Kenshin doesn't really deserve all the hype it gets yet despite that they love Kenshin's character arc and think his romance with Kaoru is the best romance in Jump history? What aspects of AssClass stands out in comparison to the rest of Jump? I like Koro-sensei but I feel he became less interestig the more you learn about him, is it particularly hilarious as a comedy? Not really. Matsui has already admitted that he's not a good artist so the art doesn't stand out and the emotional clutch that Matsui tries to pull at the end is lost because you don't care about these characters as individuals just as the notion that everything the series had been predictably leading up to should be this tearjerker to end all tearjerker but it doesn't come. I would honestly say that Neuro was better because despite the rushed as shit ending Matsui felt less restrained and his trademark twisted humor was better represented.

It will be remembered as one of the iconic series of the magazine in this decade, for sure. It started with a bang and ended up with one too.
I disagree entirely especially since Jump's current lineup has a slew of interesting titles (barring Black Clover) now compared to the last decade. I can very much see The Promised Neverland being praised to high heavens once it gets more exposure even if it doesn't get as high sales as AssClass.
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
I thought MHA 1-12 only have 7.5M copied but right now its 10M without realising new volume, why the sudden jump?
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Yet none of the are remotely memorable characters, its easy to say "these characters are human" (which is a laugh by the way since Karma isn't close to being realistic neither is Nagisa's and Kaede over the top backstories) its a whole other story for the manga to actually show it. You know how people in this thread stated that Rurouni Kenshin doesn't really deserve all the hype it gets yet despite that they love Kenshin's character arc and think his romance with Kaoru is the best romance in Jump history? What aspects of AssClass stands out in comparison to the rest of Jump? I like Koro-sensei but I feel he became less interestig the more you learn about him, is it particularly hilarious as a comedy? Not really. Matsui has already admitted that he's not a good artist so the art doesn't stand out and the emotional clutch that Matsui tries to pull at the end is lost because you don't care about these characters as individuals just as the notion that everything the series had been predictably leading up to should be this tearjerker to end all tearjerker but it doesn't come. I would honestly say that Neuro was better because despite the rushed as shit ending Matsui felt less restrained and his trademark twisted humor was better represented.
As I said, they're not the most developed or solid characters individually, but when you look them as a group they actually work, because they have quirks (some of them are an overexageration of a single trait, I know), fears, dreams, and characteristics that go well with the theme of the series. It's about growing, enjoying childhood, making memories, learning about life, all in the spawn of a school year.

Karma or Kaede aren't realistic in the sense thay they're hyperboles, but the lession they learn through the story very well could be extrapolated to the real world, and that's where the series shines.

The art isn't good, I know.

I disagree entirely especially since Jump's current lineup has a slew of interesting titles (barring Black Clover) now compared to the last decade. I can very much see The Promised Neverland being praised to high heavens once it gets more exposure even if it doesn't get as high sales as AssClass.
Haven't read Neverland but time will tell.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I thought MHA 1-12 only have 7.5M copied but right now its 10M without realising new volume, why the sudden jump?
Not 100% sure about this but to me this sounds the most logical, it's either because it's a lot easier to catch up with the story by getting the volumes(as well as filling out a manga collection) or because of the new season airing next week and people love merchandise when it comes to a series they like so yeah there's that.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As I said, they're not the most developed or solid characters individually, but when you look them as a group they actually work, because they have quirks (some of them are an overexageration of a single trait, I know), fears, dreams, and characteristics that go well with the theme of the series. It's about growing, enjoying childhood, making memories, learning about life, all in the spawn of a school year.
And that's what I think Matsui was going for, obviously a story is not going to develop every single character in the cast so I can't fault him for that but to me I just couldn't care about them as individuals (well except for Ryouma since I'm a sucker for those type of archetypes and I like his development throughout the series and I thought him becoming a bro to Itona was pretty endearing), conceptually AssClass is sound and unique hence its appeal but I thought it wasted its potential.
Karma or Kaede aren't realistic in the sense thay they're hyperboles, but the lession they learn through the story very well could be extrapolated to the real world, and that's where the series shines.
I agree, once again AssClass does a good job of depicting how being a teenager in highschool sucks and isn't the rose colored experience many series make it out to be its just that every thing could have been done better.



Haven't read Neverland but time will tell.
I think it'll appeal to the same audience that liked Death Note and considered it an untouchable masterpiece despite the CLEAR drop in quality in the second half. Anything that's not a traditional shounen appeals that sort of crowd but you're right time will tell.
 
Last edited:

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I thought MHA 1-12 only have 7.5M copied but right now its 10M without realising new volume, why the sudden jump?
Its a combination of a reprint of volumes 1~12, plus the new volume coming out on April 4 plus the 2 volumes of Smash, however much they were but its likely not over 100k and the 2 novels and Vigilante vol 1 also coming out on the same day as volume 13. Do note that all the spinoffs and novels print numbers aren't going to break 100k each so maximum its around 400k there. Even if as an example, if they reprinted 100k of each of volume 1~12, that already added 1.2 million copies. They usually reprint more than that each time looking at the new numbers announced each time but They are also probably expecting a decent boost from the TV series starting this week.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
In the hands of a good writer
I'm curious, which to you (in your opinion) are good writers?

Among others on this thread, I have to say you have harsh critics (nothing wrong with that) toward pretty much all current ongoing series (again, nothing wrong with that)

So I want to know what is your "standard", or should I say consistent quality series from start to finish.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm curious, which to you (in your opinion) are good writers?

Among others on this thread, I have to say you have harsh critics (nothing wrong with that) toward pretty much all current ongoing series (again, nothing wrong with that)

So I want to know what is your "standard", or should I say consistent quality series from start to finish.
Don't you know? Things here are based on taste. There is no technically right way to do anything, this is bullshit. It is all about taste.
Everybody here has your own standard, talk about technicality here is even offensive. <_>
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Don't you know? Things here are based on taste. There is no technically right way to do anything, this is bullshit. It is all about taste.
Everybody here has your own standard, talk about technicality here is even offensive. <_>
I'm not sure about other old members, but this pretty much defines you haha.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure about other old members, but this pretty much defines you haha.
You shouldn't judge me by my favorite series because of course you are talking about Nisekoi, that's what defines me in this forum anyway. hahaha
I don't see any serious technical problem with Nisekoi and it is a light-hearted and very likeable series to me. Series are treated differently according to many variables. I'm strict with the majority of the things I read, principally when it is something like One Piece, The Promised Neverland, My Hero Academia, where there is a lot of world building that makes everything more complex and the good use of these elements is essential for the enjoyment of the reading. Romances are generally where I relax and read to have some laughs and smile a bit. It is entertainment within entertainment.
You just don't see me criticizing anything because I simply don't write weekly about series here anymore.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top