Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 581 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heiji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan

XtrnlArdent

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
So rip ToC on wednesday then?

Nakurawari

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I preferred getting the ToC on the day the scans came out anyway to be honest.

susanoo13

Reaction score
Country
Israel
To be honest, I'm feeling lucky just by getting a release before those who actually pay for the magazine. I would still be grateful reading the chapters on monday and getting the TOC on that day as well, it would just require me to slightly change my reading habbits.

XtrnlArdent

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Well, I don't mind if the ToC comes on wednesday or mondays or whatever, I just had my routine of reading the ToC when I woke up on wednesdays, that's all.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Why don't they release it on Monday? It is worth the risk to be ahead of the official release date? It would continue illegal, but it would be harder to catch them. I think that the majority of the people who finance such things are indeed people from outside of Japan, because Jump is so inexpensive in Japan, there is no reason for Japanese people to illegally read it. Therefore, Shueisha would also do their part and make the magazine present in more countries.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
The animanga world, like the real world, is in a crisis right now. We need a savior to bring us what we need cause Trump ain't cutting it, Yonkou reactivated his twitter but he'll probably take it easy with the spoils for a little. All jokes aside, not a big deal to wait when we get it for free.

I like the song for BC alot but if it's all cuts from Ep 1 gonna wait it out a little bit on the hype. Boruto's first episode looked great too... then when it came to the first fight scene it was wonky as hell.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
So rip ToC on wednesday then?
From that guy, yes. The odds are someone else will take up the mantle and the game of cat and mouse will continue.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Why don't they release it on Monday? It is worth the risk to be ahead of the official release date? It would continue illegal, but it would be harder to catch them. I think that the majority of the people who finance such things are indeed people from outside of Japan, because Jump is so inexpensive in Japan, there is no reason for Japanese people to illegally read it. Therefore, Shueisha would also do their part and make the magazine present in more countries.
Site Trafficking. It's a race to be the first to get the maximum amount of ad revenue.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not gonna say who, but one of you needs to change your avatar because for a moment I thought you were replying to yourself lol

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I'm not gonna say who, but one of you needs to change your avatar because for a moment I thought you were replying to yourself lol
To be fair, one of us is green. But now I am playing a joke on @SirSamuel016

On Topic: If anything, we will probably get the TOC when the scanners get their hands on a copy, as it was before.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
And i hoped they wouldn't use CGI like in the OVA.

Looks likes it's from a ps1/ps2 game or like early RuneScape graphics. That's what it reminds me of.

Aside from that it looks good but yea can't judge based off a PV.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
From that guy, yes. The odds are someone else will take up the mantle and the game of cat and mouse will continue.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Site Trafficking. It's a race to be the first to get the maximum amount of ad revenue.
I think it is a waste of potential, they could have a job on some publisher easily, translators for Japanese always has demand. If the translators who advocate for legal access to the content on Twitter are not the same ones from Manga Editors behind the curtains. :derp

This is outrageous! My eloquence is unmistakable, just by reading the post you can see the difference. Not to mention that my avatar is better. :derp
Nothing personal @TotalEcon :hip

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Editor-in-Chief Nakano was a guest on TBS radio for their Shonen Jump x TBS radio collaboration and gave some nice insights into the Jump Editorial office.

https://www.tbsradio.jp/180578

Some of the main points include:
  • In terms of a position in a company, the Editor-in-chief would be akin to a manager.
  • Once an editor is promoted to Deputy Editor-in-chief they determine both the TOC and the payment for the manuscripts. In order to not be biased, they will not be assigned to any series.
  • Even if the Editor-in-chief changes, Jump's contents will not change as the readers determine that. The editor in chief cannot play favourites. For example, if they are like "This manga isn't popular but let's continue it anyway" or "This manga is popular but I don't like it so lets cancel it" they cannot make an executive decision.
  • In order to determine the ranks, there are many ways such as looking only at male readers, or dividing by age, looking at the digital results, and volume sales. They look at all these various data and based on the combined information, make decisions for the ranks.
  • All the editors are constantly on edge. Lots of them look at other manga in the magazine and hope for their cancellation.
  • For new serializations, if the series are of the same genre, and if the feedback is good, then they will battle it out from the first chapter and try to crush one another from the beginning,
  • The Cover is decided at least 2 months before hand.
  • Many new editors are paired with veteran mangaka in order to train the editors. Essentially the veteran mangaka train the new editors.
  • These new editors often find it hard to say their opinions but the longer a mangaka has been in Jump, the more they want editors to say their opinions and get angry if they don't.
  • If a series has been cancelled, many times they will tell the mangaka about 5 weeks before.
  • In contrast, besides just popularity falling, series can end if they have properly wrapped up their story or if the mangaka wants to write a new work
  • They're often asked from readers if a certain manga has been cancelled but cancellation and the like are all determined in conferences so all the manga are simultaneously cancelled and serialized (whatever that means. One Piece is almost definitely an exception).
  • Nakano was Matsui's editor during Neuro so when AssClass became a big hit he was simultaneoulsy both happy and sad.
  • If mangaka are able to eat just from their manga then editors are relieved.
  • Some things Nakano is happy to hear from mangaka are like, " Nakano-san, my savings have exceeded 100 million yen!"
  • Toriko had a muscular protagonist and had a feeling of "The Shonen Manga" so Shueisha wanted to push it but Nakano was worried if it could gain popularity in current jump (at the time) and so when on the day the volumes went on sale and it sold out, he cried while on the train.
I might rewrite some things if I misunderstood some things for people that can't understand japanese but the link above has the original Radio Broadcast.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the translation. Some of the points piqued my interest though.
Even if the Editor-in-chief changes, Jump's contents will not change as the readers determine that. The editor in chief cannot play favourites. For example, if they are like "This manga isn't popular but let's continue it anyway" or "This manga is popular but I don't like it so lets cancel it" they cannot make an executive decision.
If this is true, that means that Zumou might actually be popular with the readers ranking wise, and it's not just the editor keeping it alive.
All the editors are constantly on edge. Lots of them look at other manga in the magazine and hope for their cancellation.
I'm a little confused about this point. Are the editors competitive with each other and hope the others' manga get canceled? Sounds pretty rough.
Toriko had a muscular protagonist and had a feeling of "The Shonen Manga" so Shueisha wanted to push it but Nakano was worried if it could gain popularity in current jump (at the time) and so when on the day the volumes went on sale and it sold out, he cried while on the train.
Huh. Anyone know how much Toriko's first volume sold initially?

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Huh. Anyone know how much Toriko's first volume sold initially?
Vols 1 and 2 were released at the same time.
│*69177 (6)│*86567│109701│129509│139756┃*,161,360 (*48)┃2008/11|トリコ 1
│*66847 (6)│*84007│105965│125124│135040┃*,155,233 (*48)┃2008/11|トリコ 2

Total for 2 volumes in the first week was 136,024 copies sold.

razerxs

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
  • In order to determine the ranks, there are many ways such as looking only at male readers, or dividing by age, looking at the digital results, and volume sales. They look at all these various data and based on the combined information, make decisions for the ranks.
Sounds like they're committed to their title.

This sort of explains some series low ranks. Zumou and the gag series may have an older audience altogether.
  • Many new editors are paired with veteran mangaka in order to train the editors. Essentially the veteran mangaka train the new editors.
  • These new editors often find it hard to say their opinions but the longer a mangaka has been in Jump, the more they want editors to say their opinions and get angry if they don't.
This actually sounds a nice healthy process for everyone.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Sounds like they're committed to their title.

This sort of explains some series low ranks. Zumou and the gag series may have an older audience altogether.

This actually sounds a nice healthy process for everyone.
The latter sounds more like a double-edged sword to me. While it's true that assigning new editors to veterans is a good way to train up the newbies, but the opposite effect could also happen when the newer editors put in suggestions that end up derailing the story without any constructive reason to back his suggestion up.

Mawara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
  • All the editors are constantly on edge. Lots of them look at other manga in the magazine and hope for their cancellation
Yissh, that sounds brutal.
I also can imagine that the guy repsonible for One Piece is that one smug guy, who doesnt care about all this shit.

For new serializations, if the series are of the same genre, and if the feedback is good, then they will battle it out from the first chapter and try to crush one another from the beginning,
I was always curious how different Mangaka would see each other, that sounds a little bit of a proxy battle between bitter rivals.

Many new editors are paired with veteran mangaka in order to train the editors. Essentially the veteran mangaka train the new editors.
Interesting concept, but I agree with @Newkerzy on this one-
I also feel pity for every new guy who gets assigned to Oda. Because I doubt that anyone would dare to say him how he should do his work at this point, without any experience.
If a series has been cancelled, many times they will tell the mangaka about 5 weeks before.
If I remember correctly the ratings for the first chapter are out after 8 weeks, right? Does that mean the earliest sign of a bew manga being cancelled should be around the 13th/14th/15th chapters?

redon

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Got today Weekly Shonen Jump Ten Vol. 01 - Official Catalog, it's amazing!! Text are in japanese and english :)

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Really interesting notes about how the editorial department is currently working. I knew there would be competition between the editors, since of course some would be jealous of editors of much more successful series, but I didn't know it was so rough that they'd want it cancelled.

It's good to hear exactly what information they look into to gauge the rankings in the magazine.

It's also nice to hear that, from what Nakano says anyway, that they don't let bias or favouritism bleed into how series are handled within the magazine. I've seen too many conspiracy theories(mostly from the Bleach fandom).

Status
Not open for further replies.