Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 649 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caiops

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Haven't seen the episode yet, but looks like the director is trying to go deeper in Asta and Yuno relationship...

So, trying to make fujoshi shipp Yuno and Asta, but Yuno is a terrible character, so i don't think this shipp will be popular.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I classify filler as something that had no information presented in the manga so interms of this episode and the episode of Tsuyu I don't consider it filler but I could understand why some people think it is.
The definition of filler is not subjective, is objective, so, I'm sorry to say that, but your opinion doesn't matter.
Definition of filler: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Filler
"Filler episodes are entries in a generally continuous serial that are unrelated to the main plot, don't significantly alter the relations between the characters, and generally serve only to take up space. This could be considered Padding applied to a whole franchise."
The episode is within this definition? It is filler then, period.

savethecat

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
The definition of filler is not subjective, is objective, so, I'm sorry to say that, but your opinion doesn't matter.
"Filler episodes are entries in a generally continuous serial that are unrelated to the main plot, don't significantly alter the relations between the characters, and generally serve only to take up space. This could be considered Padding applied to a whole franchise."
There is not objective definition of filler.
Typically the anime community consider filler to be "Not in the manga, it's filler".
If the flashback is significant to the main character and expands on what's in the manga, I don't understand how it's possibly filler.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
The actual episode aside, the workplace must be rather hectic as there were two Chief Animation Directors and five Animation Directors this episode. Another interesting thing to note is the unusual credits of a "Scenario" in the ending credits and "Planning Manager" in the opening credits and probably some more.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
You realize that calling something objective and citing a wiki page might not be the best way to convince people?

Also damn it why did you have to link tvtropes I'm supposed to be working uuuuugh

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
There is not objective definition of filler.
Typically the anime community consider filler to be "Not in the manga, it's filler".
If the flashback is significant to the main character and expands on what's in the manga, I don't understand how it's possibly filler.
You are saying to me that the anime production made a episode that is related to the main series? This is extremely risky because it can contradict with what Tabata may be planning. Did you read the definition? Expand and expand with something useful are two things completely different. You may find it interesting, but for the story it may not matter much.
It is very clear what is the definition of filler. Generally, what is not in the manga is filler because the anime production is not crazy to add things that can conflict with the original story like I said above.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
You realize that calling something objective and citing a wiki page might not be the best way to convince people?

Also damn it why did you have to link tvtropes I'm supposed to be working uuuuugh
Wikipedia is better for you? It will say the same thing with other words. XD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(media)
Or do you want a research article? For Pete's sake, you know what the definition of filler is.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Tvtropes is an awful place to go for definitions, they make up their own ones most of the time, over-explain them through multiple paragraphs of self-referential nonsense, and even then they stretch what comes under it so that the show they like/don't like fits into every page.

Heck 99% of their pages aren't even real media concepts, it's just false categories they made up themselves purely for the sake of obsessively categorising every miniscule detail of every show to the point where they don't even see them as stories any more, just a collection of building blocks to be organised (and when they do find something they can't jam into an existing category they make up a new one for it).

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Or do you want a research article? For Pete's sake, you know what the definition of filler is.
I'm legitimately not sure if quoting Wikipedia is meant to be ironic or not, but that isn't even defining the same thing.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are saying to me that the anime production made a episode that is related to the main series? This is extremely risky because it can contradict with what Tabata may be planning. Did you read the definition? Expand and expand with something useful are two things completely different. You may find it interesting, but for the story it may not matter much.
It is very clear what is the definition of filler. Generally, what is not in the manga is filler because the anime production is not crazy to add things that can conflict with the original story like I said above.
The source material and adaptation are two separate things. Anime, however, is one of the few mediums that attempt to adapt a comic 100% faithfully if they're able to.
"Not being in the source material" is not a good definition of filler though.
The original FMA anime is anime original halfway through. But that's not filler. It's just an adaptation that goes in a different path than the manga.
Filler has to do with the sigficance to the actual plot.
I've yet to see the new BC episode, but based on everyone's descriptions it seems to cover Asta's and Yuno's childhood, when Yuno was a crybaby.
This is significant to the characters and who they are today. Whether or not it's significant to the viewer is completely subjective though. There's no way you can' give an objective definition to what's deemed as filler and what's not. There are some obvious instances, but this isn't one

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Tvtropes is an awful place to go for definitions, they make up their own ones most of the time, over-explain them through multiple paragraphs of self-referential nonsense, and even then they stretch what comes under it so that the show they like/don't like fits into every page.

Heck 99% of their pages aren't even real media concepts, it's just false categories they made up themselves purely for the sake of obsessively categorising every miniscule detail of every show to the point where they don't even see them as stories any more, just a collection of building blocks to be organised (and when they do find something they can't jam into an existing category they make up a new one for it).
Strange enough, it is the first time I look for the definition of filler and I completely agree with them, I don't know another definition of filler and if the definition changed for "whatever you feel like it is filler", let me know.
I'm legitimately not sure if quoting Wikipedia is meant to be ironic or not, but that isn't even defining the same thing.
They really go into a historical perspective on Wikipedia, from where the term came, but if you take a moment to interpret the article, it is the definition of filler, something to fill a gap, that's generally unrelated to the real content or with a poorer quality. It is the definition to the word filler in any aspect.

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Manga Rankings (2/10-8/10)
1. Haikyu!! #28
5. Black Clover #13
6. Gintama #70
7. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba #8
10. Robot x Laserbeam #2
11. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. #23
12. We Never Learn #3
36. Cross Account #1
48. Hungry Marie #2
145. Spring Weapon No.01 #4

76. Black Clover #1
91. Black Clover #2
103. Black Clover #12
122. Black Clover #3
137. Black Clover #4
147. Black Clover #5
170. Black Clover #6
171. Black Clover #11
177. Black Clover #7
182. Black Clover #10
185. Black Clover #9
187. Black Clover #8

30位18700/50位13250/100位7550/200位4350/300位3050/400位2300/500位1800
RxL already selling more than PSI... *-*

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Let's be honest, it is not that difficult to do that. :derp
Even more considering that RxL comes from a famous author. "We Never Learn" will follow in the next couple of volumes, if not in the next one.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
What's more of focus point is the fact that both Black Clover and Gintama lost to Shuumatsu no Harem despite BC having an ongoing anime airing in the daytime and Gintama just came off a really successful Live-action movie. Gintama aside as its winding down, BC losing to Harem in the Shoseki ranking is almost unbecoming of a series Jump wants to be the next Naruto, even if only one episode had aired for this ranking. The volume went on sale the day after the episode aired. Its much more advertisement that what Harem, a Jump+ series, has right now. It needs to grow to at least 350k, 400k ideally at the end of its anime run in order to called itself a flagship series of Jump. We'll have to see how it performs in the Oricon ranking.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought BC's second episode was enjoyable. It had filler in it, but it wasn't bad filler, so I didn't mind.

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What's more of focus point is the fact that both Black Clover and Gintama lost to Shuumatsu no Harem despite BC having an ongoing anime airing in the daytime and Gintama just came off a really successful Live-action movie. Gintama aside as its winding down, BC losing to Harem in the Shoseki ranking is almost unbecoming of a series Jump wants to be the next Naruto, even if only one episode had aired for this ranking. The volume went on sale the day after the episode aired. Its much more advertisement that what Harem, a Jump+ series, has right now. It needs to grow to at least 350k, 400k ideally at the end of its anime run in order to called itself a flagship series of Jump. We'll have to see how it performs in the Oricon ranking.
I never believed an anime would make Black Clover sell more than 500k per volume, it probaly will sell what World Trigger sold after the second year of the anime, and reach 250k-300k per volume.

After getting an anime, both Neverland and Yaiba will sell more than Black Clover, mark my words.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
After getting an anime, both Neverland and Yaiba will sell more than Black Clover, mark my words.
Isn't Neverland already selling more than Black Clover?

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I never believed an anime would make Black Clover sell more than 500k per volume, it probaly will sell what World Trigger sold after the second year of the anime, and reach 250k-300k per volume.

Neverland already overtook BC at volume 4. BC is now playing catch up with Neverland. If its unable to get to that 500k, or at least 400k first print at the end of the anime's run, Shueisha essentially shot themselves in the foot saying they want it to be the next Naruto.

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Isn't Neverland already selling more than Black Clover?
I forgot about that, so RxL probaly will be selling more than Black Clover...

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Kimetsu will surpass BC too. It was at 15k sales with volume 1 to like 100k+ by volume 7.

I want vol.8 to reach 150k in a month. It has a lot of backlog sales too.

Status
Not open for further replies.