Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Horikoshi is dying again. He released a 13 page chapter.
Newer jump authors appear to be not as resilient as the older ones. Odd.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Nobody expected this...
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this. It's a short, so there's nothing to really lose, and the cast includes Aoi Yuuki, so at the very least I'll get to enjoy that.
...aaand yet another Jump Plus series gets an anime. Can it break the curse?
What is this curse of which you speak?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Nobody expected this...
I expected this, Jump released a browser game for it earlier this year too

mangaka started his career posting fanart on twitter
then went to post his original manga on Jump Rookies site (btw his account is still there https://rookie.shonenjump.com/users/1609047349018011727)
then went on to write his original manga on Jump Plus
then Memumemu-chan became popular on Japanese social media sites
and now it will be adapted into an anime and it will inspire fanart
all of this happened in the span of 2 years
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
What is this curse of which you speak?
Jump Plus series getting animated, performing terribly, and it having absolutely no effect on the manga's sales :(.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Karada Sagashi anime was shorts that didn't air on tv
DJ Agetarou anime was also shorts
Cheer Danshi, Active Raid, Juuni Taisen are ties in for multi-platforms projects
Chronos Ruler is the property of a Chinese publisher so I don't know how their deal with Plus work and how much do they print

what I'm trying to say is it's understandable why none of them got an anime boost

and then there's ēlDLIVE which doesn't sell because it's shit
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I expected this, Jump released a browser game for it earlier this year too

mangaka started his career posting fanart on twitter
then went to post his original manga on Jump Rookies site (btw his account is still there https://rookie.shonenjump.com/users/1609047349018011727)
then went on to write his original manga on Jump Plus
then Memumemu-chan became popular on Japanese social media sites
and now it will be adapted into an anime and it will inspire fanart
all of this happened in the span of 2 years
Thanks for posting this context. I always like hearing about stories like this where normal people unexpectedly have things take off like this. I've seen this series on Jump+ before, artwork looks cute, so I hope it does well.
Jump Plus series getting animated, performing terribly, and it having absolutely no effect on the manga's sales :(.
Dang, well hopefully this can change that. Since it gained popularity though social media sites, hopefully they'll spread the anime online as well and that'll help it gain viewers.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Karada Sagashi anime was shorts that didn't air on tv
Totally forgot this was happening. Any idea if they've been released yet? Was supposed to be Summer but haven't heard anything since.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
it was released on Production I.G. smartphone app, literally no one watched it
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
it was released on Production I.G. smartphone app, literally no one watched it
Vertical anime for smartphones was a mistake.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
since we're talking about Jump Plus

Shuukyoku Engage got a recommendation from Togashi

first volume debuted at 94 place in daily sales
second volume debuted at 47 in daily sales, although it is a huge improvement, it still didn't have legs so it couldn't appear on Oricon

how well will the third volume preform, should we expect a sale boost like KnY or not?
I think hitting 30k in sales is the best possible scenario, if we hear it got reprints then I will be more optimistic
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
elDLIVE is still the longest running series there I guess. Any other Jump+ that managed to make it to beyond chp50s?
Doing a quick check, I see that something called Food Fighter Tabelu just released its 85th chapter today. Checked out a handful of others, but I think the next highest I saw was in the upper 30s for chapter count, excluding some daily thing about a cat.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Karada Sagashi is 150 chapters and ongoing
Food Fighter is 85 chapters and ongoing
Tenjin is 81 chapters and ongoing
Fire Punch is 78 chapters but ending soon
KissxDeath is 77 chapters and ongoing
Chronos Ruler is 71 chapters and ongoing
Full Charge!! Kaden-chan is 63 chapters and ongoing
Boys over Flower is 61 chapters and ongoing

eldlive is 53 chapters so far
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Karada Sagashi is 150 chapters and ongoing
Food Fighter is 85 chapters and ongoing
Tenjin is 81 chapters and ongoing
Fire Punch is 78 chapters but ending soon
KissxDeath is 77 chapters and ongoing
Chronos Ruler is 71 chapters and ongoing
Full Charge!! Kaden-chan is 63 chapters and ongoing
Boys over Flower is 61 chapters and ongoing

eldlive is 53 chapters so far
Wow then some people are getting good runs for their jump+ series. Always get fire punch confused with fire force.

Chronos Ruler needs an s2 badly.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Wow then some people are getting good runs for their jump+ series. Always get fire punch confused with fire force.

Chronos Ruler needs an s2 badly.
Even I mix them up sometimes since I read both xD. Chronos Ruler has almost no chances of getting a sequel.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Where's the yearly manga sales list at?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Where's the yearly manga sales list at?
I was wondering the same thing, they've been pretty consistent along the years and released the statistics at the end of November. Hopefully they don't delay the list.

Edit: In 2013, looks like they released the list on December the 1st.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I was wondering the same thing, they've been pretty consistent along the years and released the statistics at the end of November. Hopefully they don't delay the list.

Edit: In 2013, looks like they released the list on December the 1st.
It's probably taking a while since they're trying to find Black Clover's sales. :cheez

I want to see where TPN ranks.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
It's probably taking a while since they're trying to find Black Clover's sales. :cheez

I want to see where TPN ranks.
xD

I'm also very curious about Neverland now since a lot of people are saying it will be in the top 30.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top