Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I dont understand, do you really think there were THAT many Barrage readers who enabled Hirokoshi to have an EASIER chance of being successful?
Way more than for these 3 new series that will start before the 3 from veteran mangaka. Yes, I do.

I'm not judging quality here, just fandom.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Way more than for these 3 new series that will start before the 3 from veteran mangaka. Yes, I do.
If there were that many then why didnt Barrage succeed? There is no logical explanation for your conclusion.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
One piece, Naruto, Gintama are written by rookies, being a rookie doesn't give you a disadvantage
Nakaba flopped after rising impact, Suzuki flopped after Fullswing, Fujisaki flopped after Houshin Engi, being a veteran doesn't give you an advantage
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Way more than for these 3 new series that will start before the 3 from veteran mangaka. Yes, I do.

I'm not judging quality here, just fandom.
Veteran mangaka ; Fandom==>HYPE==> Disappointments ( bad series )==> NO success
Fandom==>HYPE==>more HYPE( good series )==> success
New mangaka ;good series==>Fandom==>HYPE==> success
bad series==>NO Fandom==> NO HYPE==>NO success
Doesn't matter new oR veteran mangaka AS LONG there quality in their work
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Tamura and Shiibashi are very comparable, their series went pretty much the exact same way in terms of popularity.
I find it funny how everyone pretty much everyone abandoned Nura after the Kyoto arc (just as well since the manga had a steep decline in quality after it) and never bring it up again while people still put Beelzebub on some pedestal despite the fact that it wasn't particularly notable comedy or action wise, had a largely forgettable cast and a lousy ending, you can't even say that there was no good gag manga running along side it since Saiki premiered during its run. While it definitely wasn't the worst manga that came out of Jump's "Dork" Ages (Medaka Box) I never got its appeal.

gag and comedy manga don't usually sell a lot

it ran for 6 years and got a long running anime

it was a success and a notable series in the magazine recent history
The anime got canned after one year. It was even more of a failure than Toriko
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
1 year is like 50+ episodes which is more than many comedy manga got

also, "bad ending" "bad action" "bad comedy" "forgettable cast"
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
One piece, Naruto, Gintama are written by rookies, being a rookie doesn't give you a disadvantage
Nakaba flopped after rising impact, Suzuki flopped after Fullswing, Fujisaki flopped after Houshin Engi, being a veteran doesn't give you an advantage
These manga are all exceptions and you know that... If you check the most sold manga of all time, the majority are made by veterans, not rookies.

But I agree, there's no guarantee that a veteran will succeed. I just said it's easier.

But we can bet, can't we? I bet that these 3 new rookies won't stand a chance against Tamura, Tadatoshi and Boichi. Anybody disagrees?

Again... How can someone say Beelzebub was bad? And say that Nura is BETTER than it? Give me a break ;/
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If there were that many then why didnt Barrage succeed? There is no logical explanation for your conclusion.
The amount of veteran manga Jump or otherwise who had another successful series after their first are few and far in-between.Watsuki is a prime example of that given its been nothing but a string of failures after Rurouni Kenshin and now he's crawling back to it with a sequel this year.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
These manga are all exceptions and you know that... If you check the most sold manga of all time, the majority are made by veterans, not rookies.

But I agree, there's o guarantee that a veteran will succeed. I just said it's easier.

But we can bet, can't we? I bet that these 3 new rookies won't stand a chance against Tamura, Tadatoshi and Boichi. Anybody disagrees?

Again... How can someone say Beelzebub was bad? And say that Nura is BETTER than it? Give me a break ;/
Obviously just a wild guess, but I'm predicting 1 veteran success and 1 rookie to succeed. I think only 2 or 3 will make it, and I don't think the veterans will hog the spots.

And does being a veteran really help some of the ones of older series like the writer of Eyeshield 21. I'd imagine most kids reading Jump now either have no clue what Eyeshield 21 is, or they know it and never read/watched it
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The amount of veteran manga Jump or otherwise who had another successful series after their first are few and far in-between.Watsuki is a prime example of that given its been nothing but a string of failures after Rurouni Kenshin and now he's crawling back to it with a sequel this year.
This curse seems to be passed along to Takei haha.

Oda is fine though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Obviously just a wild guess, but I'm predicting 1 veteran success and 1 rookie to succeed. I think only 2 or 3 will make it, and I don't think the veterans will hog the spots.

And does being a veteran really help some of the ones of older series like the writer of Eyeshield 21. I'd imagine most kids reading Jump now either have no clue what Eyeshield 21 is, or they know it and never read/watched it
Well there's Boichi on it as well.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1 year is like 50+ episodes which is more than many comedy manga got
Most gag manga aren't longrunners so I dont see your point. Beelzebuib was meant to be a longrunner but its ratings were dismal and sales were bad so it was canned hence why it got a painfully rushed "sorry we were cancelled" ending for the anime.

also, "bad ending" "bad action" "bad comedy" "forgettable cast"
Only the bad ending and forgettable cast is accurate the rest is what you said I just said that there was nothing remarkable about them at all at least not to the point where I'll be singing glory for Tamura's return to Jump.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Inumarudashii by a rookie was going against Death Note duo Bakuman, still managed to survive
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oda is fine though.
Even Oda is self-aware enough to know that he well never have another successful manga after One Piece as he stated in his SBS. It is hilarious in an ironic twist that two of Watsuki's assistants went on to make series that were more successful than his.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Some people to this day still think Murata wrote Eyeshield21 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Even Oda is self-aware enough to know that he well never have another successful manga after One Piece as he stated in his SBS. It is hilarious in an ironic twist that two of Watsuki's assistants went on to make series that were more successful than his.
Well not he needs to. There's no way that another manga can outsell One Piece in a near future.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Inumarudashii by a rookie was going against Death Note duo Bakuman, still managed to survive
Yeah...for a 11 volumes. The consistent bottom dweller Psyren lasted 16 volumes against it.
Some people to this day still think Murata wrote Eyeshield21 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Some people this day think Murata wrote One Punch Man. The bottom line is that people are ignorant.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Most gag manga aren't longrunners so I dont see your point. Beelzebuib was meant to be a longrunner but its ratings were dismal and sales were bad so it was canned hence why it got a painfully rushed "sorry we were cancelled" ending for the anime.


Only the bad ending and forgettable cast is accurate the rest is what you said I just said that there was nothing remarkable about them at all at least not to the point where I'll be singing glory for Tamura's return to Jump.
ok, my point is that Beelzebub is a notable series, it got an anime, that's alone makes it notable

I liked the ending and loved the cast

Whistle by a rookie survived against HxH and Rookies
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
"survived" means nothing. We have series like the dance manga, Hinomaru Zumou, Spring Weapon, etc that are utter irrelevant.

"Still surviving against one piece though".

lol.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Even Oda is self-aware enough to know that he well never have another successful manga after One Piece as he stated in his SBS. It is hilarious in an ironic twist that two of Watsuki's assistants went on to make series that were more successful than his.
While being a successful author doesn't guarantee a success, I think Oda is one of the few excepts.
Having "From the Creator of One Piece" tagged to a new series would carry it a long way.
Same could be said for stuff like Naruto and Dragon Ball
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
ok, my point is that Beelzebub is a notable series, it got an anime, that's alone makes it notable
Alright. Can't argue that.

Whistle by a rookie survived against HxH and Rookies
Wow someone actually remembered Rookies another good sports manga.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top