Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
Bakuman had better romance than that
I agree, i haven't read the manga but i watched the anime and my god, i disliked how every episode was like ''Takeo may look like a Gorrila but he can do this'', i heard the anime was faithful to the manga so i never bothered to pick it up, the only character i was interested in more was Suna, he was a bro, i was more looking forward to his romance, but sadly he had only eyes for Takeo.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Tomohiro Yagi (Iron Knight, Red Sprite) is publishing a manga called Majin no Garudo!, and it 4th volume will come out in February? Look, I read his name here and remembered:

http://www.shonenjump.com/e/comics/

Isn't the same Tomohiro Yagi, right? Can't be!
 

justanotherone

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2014
Messages
315
Reaction score
101
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
The problem with shounen romance is that most of them spend years teasing stuff then end the moment the romance actually starts.
This. Or worse they tease a pairing hard and then they don't make it canon, instead we have a timeskip with random people getting together left and right without seeing how they got to that point.
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Tomohiro Yagi (Iron Knight, Red Sprite) is publishing a manga called Majin no Garudo!, and it 4th volume will come out in February? Look, I read his name here and remembered:

http://www.shonenjump.com/e/comics/

Isn't the same Tomohiro Yagi, right? Can't be!
Its a mistake from jump site. Mangaka name is Ei Andô.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think everyone enjoys a good romance from time to time.
I don't. The genre has no appeal to me whatsoever. Same with gag/comedy series. Bakuman and The Promised Neverland are the only two series I've loved that go against my usual tastes.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Bakuman's """"romance"""" was though to be the lowest point of Ohba Tsugumi's writing career.

Then he went and wrote Platinum End.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
If you want THE romance series I recommend Ore Monogatari. There's no way a jump romcom can beat it.
Nah, it is Shoujo and Shoujo is boring. XD

The best one I'm reading right now is Horimiya and Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nah, it is Shoujo and Shoujo is boring. XD

The best one I'm reading right now is Horimiya and Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san.
There's something really ironic about saying shojo sucks and then recommending a series in GFantasy.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
If you think Takagi is a romance series then you have absolutely no clue what romance actually is.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
3 series that can be mentioned as good romcoms or romance series from JUMP are:
Kimagure Orange Road
I´s
Video Girl Ai

So those stupid theories that a romance series can´t work are basically bull****. By the way did anyone read the Magical Patissiere Kosaki-chan manga? As its author is gonna do the series that is being released this week, I think is more entertaining than Nisekoi. Some 4th wall breaks and mockery to the Magical Girl genre, and the ecchi was mostly part of the joke
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I didn't say they don't work, I said it's rare and hard that you will find a good one

listing 3 out of hundreds titles in the 50 years of publishing of jump just confirms my theory buddy
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
What Battle Shonen series do you guys think handled Romance the best?

Imo Yu Yu Hakusho did the best job with its romance
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
ygo, Joey and Tristan = goat otp

serious answer: kenshin
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
So can you not get the $9.99 Jump Subscription if you're already a member?

I only have a monthly sub, and it expires in a couple days
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I think everyone enjoys a good romance from time to time. I'm interested in them but not as much as battle/action shonens. For me battle/action > romance/harem/ecchi > drama/psychological. I wish more shonens go the DBZ route and have their pairings become canon in-series so it's no dumb ship wars, no end of series drama which usually leads to bad progression/glued together romance (Narutoooooooooo) or in general things that block you from the main plot. But it's rare and will forever continue to be rare.
I don't enjoy romance ever. In fact I usually prefer shounen because for the most part they shun romance too. I will admit watching breakdowns over ship wars is kind of hilarious even though I find shipping itself pointless.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Speaking of shipping wars, today's english jump has the Kishimoto Jump Festa interview and he talks about narutoxsakura never having been intended at any point (apparently she wasn't even meant to be a major central character at first, instead only being about the level of Shikamaru and Kiba).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top