I'm trying to become a teacher so reading about a teacher punching a student and telling said student that it was for his best was quite shocking to me. And yet even that guy truly believes he does good and is doing his best to ensure that this students will become "responsible adults" and not "special snowflakes", like we hear so much nowadays in media and internet, mostly as an insult.
Well... it's not like this. The teacher is just being a pain in the ass because the author is stupid and can't make a good "bad guy" (I mean, seriously, look at that guy from the Adults' Party. Just some plain bad guy). This type of bad guy makes me remember a lot Akame ga Kill. Hope this series ends soon, because the author probably isn't going to get any better.
U19 being compared to Codename: K.N.D is real but I rather watch reruns of Numbah 3 & 4 going on missions than follow this. Add in low-tier art and it's gonna be rough. I really want another shonen to follow but so far this ain't it.
U19 being compared to Codename: K.N.D is real but I rather watch reruns of Numbah 3 & 4 going on missions than follow this. Add in low-tier art and it's gonna be rough. I really want another shonen to follow but so far this ain't it.
We can't study didn't quite grab me yet. Mostly because of the character interactions between the girls and the protagonist. It seems that they were written as archetypes first and characters second. Waifu baiting is probably the term I would use. Its a similar problem I had with Yuragi. Though between the two I prefer We Can't Study's protagonist a bit better mostly because he's at least somewhat relatable compared to Kogarashi's character trait of pulling random talents out of his ass and little else.
"We Can't Study/We Never Learn" the comedy is so much better than I thought it would be lol. This author has a good sense of realism too and he gives both girls equal panel time, how much someone wants to bet a 3rd girl comes in to make Ogata and Fumina jealous over Nari... the romance will really heat up then probably. I'm really liking this series alot, the whole premise just works. A genius tutoring 2 geniuses. Who knew.
Agreed. These first 2 series aren't the ones I was looking forward to, although I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by We Can't Study. I like the character designs more than Nisekoi's and there's no excessive violence towards the main character so far, which already makes it way better in my book.
Haven't read U19 yet but, judging by the comments here, my expectations are low.
Poro is the one I'm hoping is a pleasant read.
With how high my expectations are for Dr. Stone, I'm gonna be heart broken if it ends up cancelled. I get more anxious each week lol.
I know 3 is a realistically safe number but there isn't a limit to how many series can flop if the readers like 5 they will axe 1 and if the readers only like 2 then 4 will get axed.
Maybe it's just me, but doesnt feel U19 kinda awkward? I mean, it's the year 2036, (all these kids arent born yet), and it has children as its focus, in a country with a huge demographic problem. Dont mean that it's bad, but it feels weird.
Oh, and I also don't like that the scar of the MC was already explained. You dont explain such things so early, especially with such trivialities. Dont waste the juicy details so early on!
U19 was more interesting than I thought it would be. Reminds me a lot about my history studies in how the Nazi regime tried to influence children to be perfect for the future they had in mind for Germany.
Here the "bad guys" are seen generally as the "good guys", irrational but well-meaning, trying to do good for country, people and the future. Authority rules all, freedom is more limited than it is now, but you still got "some" freedom which our MC calls emotional mainstay, so as long as you could look ahead to a secure future with some happiness in it people accepted what the Adult party told them to do.
It actually has even more parallels to the 3rd Reich-
The MCs father, though having a low pay job, is happy about the circumstances, because he does have a job after all(implying that the pre-adult party era had problems in this regard)-
One thing old people(and right wing parties) like to say about the 3rd Reich is, that the unemployment rate was almost non-existent, praising that everyone had jobs back then(people from the old East Germany saying similiar).
Honestly the society and world of U19 doesn't even sound as 100% terrible as the MC makes it seem. I'm mean yeah, there are clearly some adult who are nasty and complete jerks. But overall the rules and how society works doesn't come across as evil or malicious or anything.
Which is why how serious the tone feels is a little off putting to me. If it was this campy and cheesy series where all the adults weren't REALLY evil, but the kids saw them as evil, and in turn the adults tried punishing the kids due to misbehaving, everything would have felt more fun
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.