Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
I liked the first chapter of Marie , and I liked how random it is , I thought it was Funny too.
Hopefully Marie or U19 survives this round.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
1 - Because that way you'll be looking forward to the next chapter.
Then again, it's a comedy. It should establish the source of the jokes on chapter 1, not to leave it hanging like it's any sort of mystery. If after chapter 3 it's still leaving it hanged, then it has to rely on other source of humor, or the battle and romance aspects.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Then again, it's a comedy. It should establish the source of the jokes on chapter 1, not to leave it hanging like it's any sort of mystery. If after chapter 3 it's still leaving it hanged, then it has to rely on other source of humor, or the battle and romance aspects.
It's a comedy, yes, but not a chapter by chapter comedy. It definitely has a plot and a goal. We just don't know which one will be yet.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
BAD:

The Furuichi-like character is not a good Furuichi. Give him back.
Too Beelzebub-like character art style. Come on Tamura, you can do better than this.
No baby. We. Need. a. Damm. Baby.

GOOD

Funny
Art style
bizarre plot
historical (and innacurate) references
Grimoire (for BC fans :V)

AWESOME:

Castle in the sky references
politically incorrect jokes
 

SoldadoInvernal

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Messages
41
Reaction score
7
Age
26
Country
Brazil
It's a comedy, yes, but not a chapter by chapter comedy. It definitely has a plot and a goal. We just don't know which one will be yet.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
BAD:

The Furuichi-like character is not a good Furuichi. Give him back.
Too Beelzebub-like character art style. Come on Tamura, you can do better than this.
No baby. We. Need. a. Damm. Baby.

GOOD

Funny
Art style
bizarre plot
historical (and innacurate) references
Grimoire (for BC fans :V)

AWESOME:

Castle in the sky references
politically incorrect jokes
What's so awesome about politically incorrect jokes?
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I didn't think it was funny at all. Don't get me wrong, I like Tamura's humor. I'm actually reading Beelzebub right now, just finished the couples tournament. The jokes are set up and executed quite well, but Hungry Marie so far has failed to make me laugh or even smile a bit. It feels more like a cheap knockoff of Tamura's comedic style than something he actually made.

Hoping Kei Monri's Secret Organization D one shot is serialized. I liked the art and designs
I haven't heard of this one shot yet. I used to really look forward to Kei Monri's serialization until I read on a french website that his one shots were all action with no substance (kinda reminds me of Black Clover). It's a shame since I really like his art style, and his GOLD oneshot interested me merely on the premise that it's a cowboy manga. Oh well.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's a comedy, yes, but not a chapter by chapter comedy. It definitely has a plot and a goal. We just don't know which one will be yet.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
BAD:

The Furuichi-like character is not a good Furuichi. Give him back.
Too Beelzebub-like character art style. Come on Tamura, you can do better than this.
No baby. We. Need. a. Damm. Baby.

GOOD

Funny
Art style
bizarre plot
historical (and innacurate) references
Grimoire (for BC fans :V)

AWESOME:

Castle in the sky references
politically incorrect jokes
I think the bizarre plot is one of the complaints I've seen most often also whether it's funny or not is a matter of opinion, personally I think Tamura was trying to hard to be funny alot of what made Beelzebub funny wasn't worded jokes but rather it was the physical comedy it had.

I didn't think it was funny at all. Don't get me wrong, I like Tamura's humor. I'm actually reading Beelzebub right now, just finished the couples tournament. The jokes are set up and executed quite well, but Hungry Marie so far has failed to make me laugh or even smile a bit. It feels more like a cheap knockoff of Tamura's comedic style than something he actually made.


I haven't heard of this one shot yet. I used to really look forward to Kei Monri's serialization until I read on a french website that his one shots were all action with no substance (kinda reminds me of Black Clover). It's a shame since I really like his art style, and his GOLD oneshot interested me merely on the premise that it's a cowboy manga. Oh well.
A western themed Cowboy manga actually sounds interesting.
 
Last edited:

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think the bizarre plot is one of the complaints I've seen most often also whether it's funny or not is a matter of opinion, personally I think Tamura was trying to hard to be funny alot of what made Beelzebub funny wasn't worded jokes but rather it was the physical comedy it had.


A western themed Cowboy manga actually sounds interesting.
Oda (One Piece author) made "Wanted"! A series of one shots, and one of them is a cowboy's manga. There's also peace maker (which is awesome) Gun Frontier from Watsuki (rurouni kenshin) and there's also Kiba no Taiboushin: The Arms Peddler that is not necessarily a cowboy's manga but it's also fine.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I didn't think it was funny at all. Don't get me wrong, I like Tamura's humor. I'm actually reading Beelzebub right now, just finished the couples tournament. The jokes are set up and executed quite well, but Hungry Marie so far has failed to make me laugh or even smile a bit. It feels more like a cheap knockoff of Tamura's comedic style than something he actually made.


I haven't heard of this one shot yet. I used to really look forward to Kei Monri's serialization until I read on a french website that his one shots were all action with no substance (kinda reminds me of Black Clover). It's a shame since I really like his art style, and his GOLD oneshot interested me merely on the premise that it's a cowboy manga. Oh well.
I still would like to see what he has in store for his first shot at a series(plus I'm more of a guy who rather read and judge for myself rather than focus on a few people who say one thing.)

But personally I don't have an issue with all style with little substance. Unless the substance is is utterly bad. As long as the style and flair is REALLY good. Personally Black Clover isn't terrible to me. But the issues it has isn't in it having no substance imo.


Btw, doesn't any have a link to the GOLD one shot raws?
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I think the bizarre plot is one of the complaints I've seen most often also whether it's funny or not is a matter of opinion, personally I think Tamura was trying to hard to be funny alot of what made Beelzebub funny wasn't worded jokes but rather it was the physical comedy it had.
The people who say it´s funny are mostly Bellzebuub´s fans. This is its own series, yet it seems that it mostly relies on your Beelzebuub´s knowledge to be funny. Anyways, the "humor" is worded, but I didn´t find anything funny there. And also some lazy 4th wall break jokes.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
not a big fan of same face characters. It shows that the author plays it safe and doesn't challenge himself. His art is still the same after 6 years. Still hilarious.

I enjoy gender bend manga so I like this :teehee
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
not a big fan of same face characters. It shows that the author plays it safe and doesn't challenge himself. His art is still the same after 6 years. Still hilarious.

I enjoy gender bend manga so I like this :teehee
As a discussion, which jump artists you have noticed that their art has evolved the most? And put photos for differences and describe which aspects are the most evolved, like coloring, inking, etc
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The people who say it´s funny are mostly Bellzebuub´s fans. This is its own series, yet it seems that it mostly relies on your Beelzebuub´s knowledge to be funny. Anyways, the "humor" is worded, but I didn´t find anything funny there. And also some lazy 4th wall break jokes.
Have you ever watch Castle in the sky? Without it you won't be able to get the best jokes...

Taiga's grandma is EXACTLY like one of the characters:




To me, people saying: "it was not funny" pretty much did not get the jokes... AT ALL.
 
Last edited:

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Have you ever watch Castle in the sky? Without it you won't be able to get the best jokes...

Taiga's grandma is EXACTLY like the villain:




To me, people saying: "it was not funny" pretty much did not get the jokes... AT ALL.
Dola isn't the villain. I don't know if you're being serious or not but the closest we can say she is is an anti-hero. She does go after the kid sin the beginning but becomes their biggest ally.

On topic, Hungry Marie was decent. I got a few laughs out of it but critically looking at it, a sort of plot direction cannot be seen other than the obvious romance. Beelzebub wasn't really that good with romance either so i'm not sure how well Tamura will handle romance. Art though has to go through some changes. I kept seeing Oga and even now, Oga is the impression I have of him.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Have you ever watch Castle in the sky? Without it you won't be able to get the best jokes...

Taiga's grandma is EXACTLY like the villain:




To me, people saying: "it was not funny" pretty much did not get the jokes... AT ALL.
Comedy is probably the most subjective of any form of entertainment. Tamura seems like one of those authors where you either like his comedy or you don't
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Have you ever watch Castle in the sky? Without it you won't be able to get the best jokes...

Taiga's grandma is EXACTLY like the villain:




To me, people saying: "it was not funny" pretty much did not get the jokes... AT ALL.
It's not that a person doesn't get the joke parse it more of whether the joke itself was funny, and also why would writer make jokes that reference a movie that came out 14 years ago when potentially most of the readers haven't watched it let alone ever heard of it.Come on that's just bad forethought on Tamuras part lets be honest.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
My main problem with HM are the same faces. Oga was a child rearing monster, not a boy in love. Kanzaki was a yogurt loving yakuza, not a Furuichi. There should have been some new faces in HM for the MCs.
Alaindelon is still the same freak though.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Have you ever watch Castle in the sky? Without it you won't be able to get the best jokes...

Taiga's grandma is EXACTLY like the villain:




To me, people saying: "it was not funny" pretty much did not get the jokes... AT ALL.
That is looks like one character from other series or anime or something from pop culture doesn´t make it into a funny joke
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's not that a person doesn't get the joke parse it more of whether the joke itself was funny, and also why would writer make jokes that reference a movie that came out 14 years ago when potentially most of the readers haven't watched it let alone ever heard of it.Come on that's just bad forethought on Tamuras part lets be honest.
Because this is a Hayazaki animation. Stupidly famous in Japan and even on this side of the world... Just because YOU don't know about it, does not mean that japanese kids or readers won't get it =)

This manga has LOTS of references that kids or teenagers (japanese or not) won't get it. It's not a series for kids at all. Like Beelzebub wasn't.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
That is looks like one character from other series or anime or something from pop culture doesn´t make it into a funny joke
That's because you don't get it. It's the definition of it.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
My main problem with HM are the same faces. Oga was a child rearing monster, not a boy in love. Kanzaki was a yogurt loving yakuza, not a Furuichi. There should have been some new faces in HM for the MCs.
Alaindelon is still the same freak though.
Yeah, I dislike that as well.
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
As a discussion, which jump artists you have noticed that their art has evolved the most? And put photos for differences and describe which aspects are the most evolved, like coloring, inking, etc
Don't make me do hard labor :XD. You should look for it yourself. Or just check the manga. There are 2 pictures on the internet with the strawhat face progression in 20 years, and same thing with Food War.

Off the top of my head

Current: Oda (One Piece), Shun( Food War), and Furudate (Haikyuu)

Past: Murata (Eyeshield21)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top