Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
RIsing Impact ran for 17 volumes and Dan Doh (from Sunday) ran for 29 volumes and 2 sequel (15 + 4). So there is a way!!
Don't forget King Golf in Sunday.
Although in these two the MC are the underdog and not robot hitting laser shot.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I don't think people hyping it. I think it's more like its the best out of 6 underwhelming new series.
"Gotta overhype the hell out of Dr Stone and Hungry Marie because I don´t like comedies and I´m an elitist that hates harem romcoms."

I said it. Until proven good, I don´t give a s*** to the veterans. They have an advantage? Watsuki had an advantage that he didn´t use well in Busou Renkin. If Hungry Marie gets cancelled, I wouldn´t care less. The good thing about not having big-ass expectations is that you will enjoy series with a fair judgement, and not with a "This is the best series from Jump ever" judgement. I just read the veterans under the same light as the new ones. I would love if people like GIA stop overhyping series.

And also some people say "this is the best of the new Jump series" without a right criticism of what the first chapter did right. It´s like they judge the first chapter for enjoyment, and not for how it executed its first chapter. Feel free to hate these series, but Poro and We Never Learn set up their premises and characters far better than the other series. I hated the approach of using 3 chapters to set up a simple premise, especially in Hungry Marie, since its a comedy. It´s trying to go for action-comedy like Gintama, yet the latter set up its premise well in the first chapter. And some people said it was better than the rest of the series? For shame
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
"Gotta overhype the hell out of Dr Stone and Hungry Marie because I don´t like comedies and I´m an elitist that hates harem romcoms."

I said it. Until proven good, I don´t give a s*** to the veterans. They have an advantage? Watsuki had an advantage that he didn´t use well in Busou Renkin. If Hungry Marie gets cancelled, I wouldn´t care less. The good thing about not having big-ass expectations is that you will enjoy series with a fair judgement, and not with a "This is the best series from Jump ever" judgement. I just read the veterans under the same light as the new ones. I would love if people like GIA stop overhyping series.

And also some people say "this is the best of the new Jump series" without a right criticism of what the first chapter did right. It´s like they judge the first chapter for enjoyment, and not for how it executed its first chapter. Feel free to hate these series, but Poro and We Never Learn set up their premises and characters far better than the other series. I hated the approach of using 3 chapters to set up a simple premise, especially in Hungry Marie, since its a comedy. It´s trying to go for action-comedy like Gintama, yet the latter set up its premise well in the first chapter. And some people said it was better than the rest of the series? For shame
Does someone have to be an elitist because they don't like a certain genre? I for example have zero interest in romance and harems as a general rule. It would take on hell of a series to make me consider it checking out if it were those genres and even more so to make me stick with it. There's been like a small handful (like 3 or 4) literally in all of anime/manga. But I'm far from elitist. I'm just not interested.

Isn't enjoyment what it's all about? Whether a chapter is good, fun or well thought out is largely subjective. If you read a new series and it leaves you wanting more and actually excited then I don't think you'd be inclined to analyze it and point out all of it's "flaws" and "shortcomings." I swear I'm NOT saying this about you but such a way of thinking would be the very definition of elitist in my book.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
RIsing Impact ran for 17 volumes and Dan Doh (from Sunday) ran for 29 volumes and 2 sequel (15 + 4). So there is a way!!

Although in these two the MC are the underdog and not robot hitting laser shot.


Don't forget about King Golf. It's still ongoing.[/QUOTE]
 

Shinji Hirako

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
133
Reaction score
196
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
Promotion for the new series but mainly Robot X Laserbeam. Kurobas in the 1 million per volume club.

 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
lol Kuroko no Golf.

30 million copies in print.

We will get a character that can copy technique, and a character with the Eyes of Rí (means king in Scottish) to see "terrain and winds". Mark my words.
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I remember in Otokojuku one of it's fake history lesson things explained how golf was an ancient Chinese martial art.

It's such a fun series.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
What's wrong with judging a series based on how much they enjoy it? There would be no diversity in rankings if we didn't. Everyone would pretty much give each series the same rating because "that's how the expert critics rated it". Rating a series based on enjoyment is completely fine, no need to be an ass about it.

On another note, I always forget how damn well kurobas sold. If I remember correctly, it sold more copies in a year than naruto.
 

Shinji Hirako

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
133
Reaction score
196
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
On another note, I always forget how damn well kurobas sold. If I remember correctly, it sold more copies in a year than naruto.
Oricon manga sales 2012-14 Kurobas outsold Naruto:
2012- Kurobas: 8,070,446 Naruto: 6,495,240
2013- Kurobas: 8,761,081 Naruto: 5,553,933
2014- Kurobas: 6,729,439 Naruto: 5,505,179

Of course Naruto still had better per volume sales than Kurobas throughout the 2012-14 period but Kurobas had the hype from its seasonal anime which gave it monstrous backlog sales.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States

I was looking through reddit when this caught my eye.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock

I was looking through reddit when this caught my eye.
In other words, they're still not going to release any information on the anime anytime soon. All they say is that Tabata, the editor and the staff from Pierrot are meeting to discuss details of the characters to fully confirm the small parts, and discuss and check the scripts. Other than that, its getting a new novel and it will feature Yuno's team and also all the team leaders. The robe that Asta is wearing in the bottom right picture is also being produced for sale in the jump shop.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Its not that big series ending is causing a drop, its that most of the new series simply don't have enough appeal with readers to motivate them to buy the volumes. That combined with a shift in industry format from paper to digital also leads to the drop we are seeing. As of now, we have no idea on digital sales, just that total digital volume/magazine etc, sales is increasing steadily.
Increasing for sure
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/03/17-1/japanese-e-book-sales-rose-by-nearly-15-in-2016
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Apparently Weekly Shounen Sunday might be starting 6 new series in a row over Spring?


If that's real it's strange having it happen immediately after the Weekly Shounen Jump batch, I wonder if it's on purpose (they are under the same parent company after all).
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Apparently Weekly Shounen Sunday might be starting 6 new series in a row over Spring?


If that's real it's strange having it happen immediately after the Weekly Shounen Jump batch, I wonder if it's on purpose (they are under the same parent company after all).
I'm going to guess that the KOI one is going to be a romance or a SOL maybe a magical girl story, the red one is going to be some type of yokai/exorsist manga, and the purple one gives off romance vides also; the blue and green ones I'm drawing a blank on what they could be. Dead or Love looks pretty interesting will have to check that one out for sure.
 

Swavey

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
97
Reaction score
99
Country
The Wall
I'm going to guess that the KOI one is going to be a romance or a SOL maybe a magical girl story, the red one is going to be some type of yokai/exorsist manga, and the purple one gives off romance vides also; the blue and green ones I'm drawing a blank on what they could be. Dead or Love looks pretty interesting will have to check that one out for sure.
I'm going to guess that you don't know about the Sunday thread.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
And also some people say "this is the best of the new Jump series" without a right criticism of what the first chapter did right. It´s like they judge the first chapter for enjoyment, and not for how it executed its first chapter. Feel free to hate these series, but Poro and We Never Learn set up their premises and characters far better than the other series. I hated the approach of using 3 chapters to set up a simple premise, especially in Hungry Marie, since its a comedy. It´s trying to go for action-comedy like Gintama, yet the latter set up its premise well in the first chapter. And some people said it was better than the rest of the series? For shame
Criticism and execution dont really mean anything though. If they did, we wouldnt have Black Clover. Enjoyment is everything. A seres can be the most flawed one around, but if people enjoy reading it, it will survive. This is a magazine aimed at teenagers, no one is going to judge these series like a critic. This is the same with any media though. Generally what the critics rate with high scores are pretty far from what the main market actually enjoys. Its why movies like Fast and Furious, which are basically piles of shit with explosions, guns and cars are so popular. Bit far fetched, but is anyone going to say theyd prefer to read Shakespeare over Black Clover even? I certainly wouldnt.

Poro did have one of the well executed first chapters of the bunch, but that doesnt matter. To me, it was boring, had bad characters and gave me almost no reason to look forward to the next chapter and continue reading it. No real hook, direction, substance or potential.

Hungry Marie on the other hand had quite poor execution, and its chapters have been a bit all over the place. However I find its concept interesting, characters enjpyable, and the comedy good, so I'm actually very excited to read the new chapter every week. Its the same reason Nisekoi was a thing. Almost no progression for most of the series, but many (myself included) ate that shit up because if you read each chapter as it was without being serious about it, it was enjoyable.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
"This is a magazine aimed at teenagers..."
How many times I will have to deny this phrase? It is not the actual public of the magazine, who votes at least.

For me execution = enjoyment. I don't have the ability to ignore my brain.
It is astonishing seeing people saying that something is good and when you ask why they don't know what they should write.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Still really hoping Poro can find success
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Still really hoping Poro can find success
Me, too. It is great and I don't know why people are talking about like it was already cancelled.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top