Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
So KnY Volume 5 has a lot of volumes in print? What is the number exactly?
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
It could've been worse, i.e TOEI animation.
Toei isn't anywhere near a bad studio as when needed, they will go all out with animation scenes. Its the reason why series like Dragon Ball and One Piece have become such cornerstones of Manga and Anime. Its just that adapting an ongoing series which releases around 3 chapters a month, a number you can possibly blow through in one episode, the lengthening becomes necessary. It helps that One Piece has so much stuff packed into each chapter. But, I'm of the opinion that that's pretty much the best they can do given the time frame they have and the fact that they cannot pull it off the air as its ratings are simply too high. Oda also seems to be fine with this as well as he's never expressed any disappointment in interviews.

I would rather have an anime that's moderately successful AND is a great adaptation (w/ good-amazing animation), rather than one that's very successful but a meh or bad adaptation (w/ mediocre animation).
With decisions like this its pretty much up to chance. Tokyo Ghoul became a big hit despite fans calling its anime sub-par. On the other hand, we have Soma which had a good adaptation and it barely had much of an effect.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Toei isn't anywhere near a bad studio as when needed, they will go all out with animation scenes. Its the reason why series like Dragon Ball and One Piece have become such cornerstones of Manga and Anime. Its just that adapting an ongoing series which releases around 3 chapters a month, a number you can possibly blow through in one episode, the lengthening becomes necessary. It helps that One Piece has so much stuff packed into each chapter. But, I'm of the opinion that that's pretty much the best they can do given the time frame they have and the fact that they cannot pull it off the air as its ratings are simply too high. Oda also seems to be fine with this as well as he's never expressed any disappointment in interviews.
Yeah mainly when Naotoshi Shida's animating. Other than that it's not great IMO. The 1 chapter per episode is just mind numbing, sometimes they can pull it off nicely but usually they handle it poorly. Ofc Oda will be fine with it; it's successful. OP was a pretty good anime earlier on too.

Toriko is far worse; it's meh animation later on and poor adaptation. Usually cutting off most of the world building and even some of the gags which Shimabu is known for.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I wish Toei what Toei would do is just run One Piece until it catches up to the manga. And when it catches up, just take a long break until it has a lot of material again.


But that method doesn't make as much money
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I wish Toei what Toei would do is just run One Piece until it catches up to the manga. And when it catches up, just take a long break until it has a lot of material again.


But that method doesn't make as much money
They clearly do filler arcs here and there but they don't last long. I think it would be better if they would adapt the cover stories into arcs.

Toei has a fetish for poor pacing so that won't happen.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'd love for Jump to get a music series like Beck
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Just curious. But what was the general reaction in this thread and other sites when Assassination Classroom chapter 1 was first released
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I didn't frequent here back then but on other sites I remember almost everyone thought it was incredible.

Reception got a lot more mixed later on when more people got curious after hearing how well it was ranking and selling in Japan (mainly due to people who thought it was a big new battle shounen and finding the lack of action disappointing when they went to read it) but at the very start it was almost all praise.
 
Last edited:

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So veteran mangaka are receiving more marketing and are way more likely to survive huh?

Where do I read that again?
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
And why is it that we don't count Digital sales on the Oricon charts again?
I figured it's because digital volumes cost less than print volumes. Also the fact that, according to an article posted here earlier, the print market is still 3000 times larger than the digital market, so the print numbers would mostly be insignificant. Not sure what it means exactly. Is it if something sells 90,000 copies, then only 30 digital copies were sold? It seems too small of a number to me. The way I think they should do it is count digital sales as a fraction, not a whole "1". The fraction would be (avg cost of a digital volume)/(avg cost of print volume).
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Name only goes so far... It will not save you if the manga is trash.
I have a high esteem for Japanese Jump readers, the ones who buy the magazine and have the trouble to send its vote through mail and everything. Although their reputation was dented by the recent events, I still think that they are not the kind of guys who are consumed by hype and vote without thinking. Jump has a history of accepting novice authors more than any other magazine and I think that it is also reflected in its readers.
"Oh! A series by such and such author. Awesome. Now let's read it and see if it is good" would be the right mindset that I expect from Jump readers.
Am I dreaming too much?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Now my personal treatment about all this is: generally I don't give a shit about the author... I only know the name of the authors I really like, the rest I don't even care about that much. I read the manga, not the author... If people don't put his/her past works between parenthesis I will have a hard time realizing who the hell the author is.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I found the latest chapter of We can't study cute this week. This chapter further cements, in my opinion, that this isn't really going to be a romance/harem series but rather a regular SOL series.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
We Can't Study chapter was a decent, Looks like it will get ranked in next week.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Off topic discussion but beside manga tanko, do you guys purchase/import merchandise good?

I personally don't (that will change in a couple weeks) since usually merchandise good aren't make by the author (with the exception of artbooks), and that kinda put me off of buying them.

and figures are expensive.
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Off topic discussion but beside manga tanko, do you guys purchase/import merchandise good?

I personally don't (that will change in a couple week) since usually merchandise good aren't make by the author (with the exception of artbooks), and that kinda put me off of buying them.
i import figures (have naruto GEM and other series like free! and utapri) and import lots of merchandise (tons of utapri), haikyuu!! stuff, more naruto stuff, and i guess i also import bl doujins (seraph of the end).
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Off topic discussion but beside manga tanko, do you guys purchase/import merchandise good?

I personally don't (that will change in a couple weeks) since usually merchandise good aren't make by the author (with the exception of artbooks), and that kinda put me off of buying them.
I'll get merch if I really like a series.
Even if the author didn't make something, they'll still get royalties as long as it isn't a bootleg.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
A bit off topic but update on Shimabu's one shot manga from animenewsnetwork
Update (on March 18): The manga is not a new series as previously reported, but is a one-shot. This year's 51st issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine revealed on March 18 that the manga's title is "Warai no Ōji Penpenpen" (Prince of Comedy Penpenpen). The manga will have 29 pages.
I think this the preview(?)
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I'll get merch if I really like a series.
Even if the author didn't make something, they'll still get royalties as long as it isn't a bootleg.
Found a rare donyatsu's fan xD :super:celebrate
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Welp, judging by the preview pic, I am definitely not checking that out. Even if it's the funniest damn comedy manga serialized in WSJ, just the design of that character is so off-putting. Why does he have to show his penis, man? Is that really necessary?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Welp, judging by the preview pic, I am definitely not checking that out. Even if it's the funniest damn comedy manga serialized in WSJ, just the design of that character is so off-putting. Why does he have to show his penis, man? Is that really necessary?
Lol, ever read or watch Tar-chan?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top