Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Do we have any known female writers in this magazine at the moment?

It's looking very likely that Gotouge is a woman but there's no proper confirmation of it and there's always rumours about Furudate but I don't think there's any we know for certain.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
there are good writers and bad writers in both gender
for every Tanabe Yellow there's an Akira Amano

I don't think Blue Exorcist, DGM, Rinne are all that good
I like Magi and Tsubasa Chronicle but I know that a lot of people have problem with them
bad male writers stand out more cause there are more of them



it's fine, nothing too special just like tirakai said, the characters' interactions carries the series
the manga is trying to do the NGE thing where the setting is a background decoration and the real hook is the charchters mental struggle
however it's not doing a good job at it and it comes out silly, every characters have daddy or mommy issue
and the parents are comicbooks' villains' evil
Agreed. The best shounen manga nowadays made by a woman is Magi/Sinbad.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Do we have any known female writers in this magazine at the moment?
You say at the moment, or up to this point? The ones confirmed up to this point from Jump and Jump SQ, as far as I know, are:
Kazue Kato, Katsura Yoshino, Akira Amano, Gotouge, Haruichi Furudae, and Mizuki Kawashita(though she hasn´t written any shonen action series)
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
You say at the moment, or up to this point? The ones confirmed up to this point from Jump and Jump SQ, as far as I know, are:
Kazue Kato, Katsura Yoshino, Akira Amano, Gotouge, Haruichi Furudae, and Mizuki Kawashita(though she hasn´t written any shonen action series)
Gotouge is speculated, not confirmed, as a woman due to the bubbly writing in one of the omakes. Women are basically known to have more round writing styles compared to men though that doesn't mean men can't have that type of style but its simply a sort of norm. Why Furudate is speculated as a woman I still don't know.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Are super long series a good thing or bad thing for the magazine in the long run i.e. One Piece being over 800+ chapters? To me it's more of a determent in the long run. My reasoning being that once that series comes to a close a lot of the readers the magazine has gained that read that particular series will just stop reading (that is unless they've found another series within the magazine they enjoyed) then sales drop and then it gets even harder for a newcomer/ returning series to survive as the magazine tries and fill the void where that series left.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Haruichi Furudate isn'the confirmed to be female. It's all just speculation based on the writing and art style. I think I also remember reading somewhere that they had feminine looking hands, although Japanese people typically are more feminine in general so that might be stretching it a bit.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are super long series a good thing or bad thing for the magazine in the long run i.e. One Piece being over 800+ chapters? To me it's more of a determent in the long run. My reasoning being that once that series comes to a close a lot of the readers the magazine has gained that read that particular series will just stop reading (that is unless they've found another series within the magazine they enjoyed) then sales drop and then it gets even harder for a newcomer/ returning series to survive as the magazine tries and fill the void where that series left.
This is not a matter of opinion. If a series CAN keep running that long it's the sole proof that it's good. Especially for JUMP.

What you're saying is that after a beloved series ends people will just stop reading manga? No way. People always want more, newer and fascinating series. If the rookies are unable to provide them that is not because of good old series that end, but their inability to create something interesting.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Are super long series a good thing or bad thing for the magazine in the long run i.e. One Piece being over 800+ chapters? To me it's more of a determent in the long run. My reasoning being that once that series comes to a close a lot of the readers the magazine has gained that read that particular series will just stop reading (that is unless they've found another series within the magazine they enjoyed) then sales drop and then it gets even harder for a newcomer/ returning series to survive as the magazine tries and fill the void where that series left.
If they stop buying the magazine once the series ends, doesn't that mean they never would have bought it had the series not existed in the first place? Losing sales is bad, but they never would have had sales to lose without that series in the first place. I can't see a negative to series being there for the long run...
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is not a matter of opinion. If a series CAN keep running that long it's the sole proof that it's good. Especially for JUMP.

What you're saying is that after a beloved series ends people will just stop reading manga? No way. People always want more, newer and fascinating series. If the rookies are unable to provide them that is not because of good old series that end, but their inability to create something interesting.
I think your missing the point I didn't say that they couldn't keep running if they have the ability to and I wasn't discounting that it helps Jump if they do. A lot of fans for a series tend to only read that one series, there are some that read more, but how many casual fans would you say actually try something new after that one series they enjoyed ended?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Gintama latest episode teased a major announcement next week

also it looks like next week episode will be the last for this season
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Gintama latest episode teased a major announcement next week

also it looks like next week episode will be the last for this season
As I said before, they already announced the OP and ED they'll be using in April, so the announcement is probably just saying they're adapting the final arc or something.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Gintama latest episode teased a major announcement next week

also it looks like next week episode will be the last for this season
Time for a new movie?
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Time for a new movie?
Final season.

I think your missing the point I didn't say that they couldn't keep running if they have the ability to and I wasn't discounting that it helps Jump if they do. A lot of fans for a series tend to only read that one series, there are some that read more, but how many casual fans would you say actually try something new after that one series they enjoyed ended?
We don't have enough data for this. But if people would only read the old series, the newer ones (like Promise Neverland) would never be able to achieve good rankings in TOC for instance.
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I think your missing the point I didn't say that they couldn't keep running if they have the ability to and I wasn't discounting that it helps Jump if they do. A lot of fans for a series tend to only read that one series, there are some that read more, but how many casual fans would you say actually try something new after that one series they enjoyed ended?
assume everyone who reads the magazine buy the manga (again assume) and there are around 1.8 million circulation/week nowaday?

We have:

~ 10,000 people try something new (Love Rush),

~ 10,000 people try something new (Red Sprite)

~70,000 people try something new (Kimetsu), with a fair amount bother to vote in the reader survey..

~150,000 people (1/18) try something new (Yuragi), with a fair amount bother to vote in the reader survey.

~100,000 people (1/18) try something new (TPN), with a fair amount bother to vote in the reader survey.


again, assume old fans only buy 1 series each, you have about ~1/5 people trying out new series.

And that is not accounted for one people buying multiple series.
-----------------------------
"try something new after that one series they enjoyed ended?"

They grow out of manga.
 
Last edited:

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
I post about a lot more than Tabata. Selective reading perhaps?
Anyways, pointing out obvious glaring flaws is hardly me being annoyed.
Also, sorry for wanting to be entertained by more than flashy drawings.
Black Clover being derivative is only one of its many issues.
Yeah, selective, I don't have time to read all comments, I read only last 1-2-3 pages each couple of days. Since yesterday, there are 5 pages and I won't read them. That is way I said "every time I see your post here", not "all your posts here".
No need to "apologize" for wanting to be entertained more, and if BC doesn't do it, just move to different series. I wonder why are you still reading it (not long ago you posted about Asta's recent fight with the diamond guy, so it seems you are up to date). And continuing reading a series you don't like, from an author you don't like, that's not entertaining you enough, it totally sounds like you are annoyed by it's success and try to "educate" people how delusional they are for liking this "turd" (I remember you mention in the past you are an artist? which makes it even more funny for me :)). I don't know, that's how I felt from some of your desperate attempts at bashing this series/author (like your comment about Ladros/Radols panel).
Either way, I have no desire for any sort of argument, feel free to like or dislike whatever series you want, I will sit here and enjoy your comments when I see them. And quite likely, I won't reply to this anymore.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I read it for the same reason I love movies like The Room.
I've explained that. Has nothing to do with being annoyed by its sucess.
None of my critiques are "desperate" either. They're all pretty common critiques against the series if you'd look around the internet.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I take Rica comments in high account but I agree with Unok. People here are really... REALLY annoyed by Black Clover success (And yeah it's a success. Deal with it)

And it's funny because when I bash their beloved series they FREAK OUT, but when they do the same it's "ok" (since everybody does, right?)

It's easy to say and support what everybody does...
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I think that's the point though. He's even described as a man child in the manga. He's growing at the same rate as Izuku. They're both incomplete. I trust Horikoshi that Shigaraki will be a worthy main villain at the end.
I'll be honest, it isn't until I saw opinions like yours that I really begun to appreciate Shigaraki's character.

here's my theory about shipping wars, people seek in fiction what their real life is missing
someone who constantly seek romance everywhere or people who constantly post about their waifus probably never talked to a girl before
basically their delusions are probably all they got

so when someone take this delusion from them they lose their shit



my respect for their graphic designer went waaaaaaaaaaaay up

Me, I ship couples if it's a clear lock on them, like Royai/EdWin from FMA. Crack shippers I don't mind, but if they start taking its eriously, it's when I stop aking them seriously.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Is it me, or women can write better shonen series than men? I´m watching Blue Exorcist, and even when the series is less action and more talking, what impresses me are the worldbuilding sorrounding the religions and demons, the character interactions and backstories, and drama. All of this makes any fight in the series have the weight and tension it needs to be compelling. This is something that the average shonen written by men forgets, to make the reasons behind the fights to be compelling and undestandable, instead of concentrating on making the fights compelling by the use of powers or techniques. It´s said that for a fight to be a true good one, it needs a well developed motivation to happen. There´s also FMA and Inuyasha, who also put more attention to worldbuilding and characters rather than the fights. What´s your opinion about this topic? And would you see more women writing shonen series on Jump? And which female author from Jump you think is writing a good shonen?
The story has to be good, regardless the gender of the author, period.
And Blue Exorcists, sucks, period. XD
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Why are you guys still entertaining this sexist argument? It's just baffling. Talent has nothing do with with gender. It has to do with experience and innate ability.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top