Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 337 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yellow Tanabe is like Sunday's Togashi

she wrote an amazing battle shonen, went away then came back and wrote another amazing shonen
wrote a short series between her 2 manga which was entertaining for what it was
she took some of the aspects from Kekkaishi and fleshed them out more in Birdmen
isn't afraid of taking on sensitive subjects in her manga
she even came with her own health issues and couldn't handle the weekly schedule in her second run

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Has Togashi ever given a reason as to why he's never decided to switch to an lighter schedule? Hoshino has major recurring health issues too but she is able to put out content on a mostly regular schedule now that D.Gray-man's quarterly series.

Sure some of D.Gray-Man's chapters are very short and she took a break one issue but it's at least something, and as we've seen with Beet having 80 pages twice in a row if she was well enough/motivated enough to put out multiple chapters' worth of pages in one issue they'd be fine running it.

When does the next Jump SQ Crown issue release anyway? I'm looking forward to checking out the first new Beet arc in over a decade.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Has Togashi ever given a reason as to why he's never decided to switch to an lighter schedule? Hoshino has major recurring health issues too but she is able to put out content on a mostly regular schedule now that D.Gray-man's quarterly series.

Sure some of D.Gray-Man's chapters are very short and she took a break one issue but it's at least something, and as we've seen with Beet having 80 pages twice in a row if she was well enough/motivated enough to put out multiple chapters' worth of pages in one issue they'd be fine running it.

When does the next Jump SQ Crown issue release anyway? I'm looking forward to checking out the first new Beet arc in over a decade.
Crown came out yesterday, it had an announcement that "info on the new Beet arc will be announced next issue in July." So yeah, you're gonna be waiting a while.
No DGM this issue either.

Mawara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Kira was great. Diavolo and ACDC sucked.
I've read JoJo Bizarre Adventure Part 1 till 7, and currently reading Part 8, yet, a catholic priest who gave his adopted son the name of the devil is still one of the most bizarre thing in Jojo to me. What priest would do that?!

Well, if I need to choose some Jump Antagonists, they would be-
-Dio Brando. Yeah, maybe overrat4d, but still one charming & iconic devil.
-Kira Yoshikage. Also charming, but for other reasons. Also, the idea of making the japanese philosophy of being quiet & not standing out a facade for a villain was something really fascinating for me.
-Pain, from Naruto. Someone already mentioned him in this thread. I just liked how he felt like someone with his own agenda & philosophy, which characterized him much more than just being a strong guy. At least, until he became someone else's pawn.
-Arlong, from One Piece. Not that big as a villain, but I enjoy how he, as a racist, greedy asshole, still can feel relatable in certain moments because he is angered that his crew was attacked. Villains who feel something for their comrades should happen much more often.
-Neo & Acacia, from Toriko. I have a thing for lovecraftian horror, and even if it & Acacia shared the role as the last grand villain with simple motivations, it was something which kinda made sense to Toriko. That's why I wasnt a fan of how this ended(liked the ending of Toriko itself, but not how the role of the villain concluded).

FYI: I like to create a list of my favourite 20/30 villains yearly, and though several villains are from manga, only a few are from WSJ, Dio & Kira are few exception in this. Maybe it's because many villains are either tragic(which I am allergic to) or are more being defined by their strenght, which is boring for me. Though I dont even need deep or layered-villains. I enjyoed Caeser Clown from One Piece. I can enjoy evil douchebags as villains, as long as they're entertaining to me(before someone's asked, no Caeser Clown isn't on my lists).

Scruffy8642

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Has Togashi ever given a reason as to why he's never decided to switch to an lighter schedule? Hoshino has major recurring health issues too but she is able to put out content on a mostly regular schedule now that D.Gray-man's quarterly series..
I honestly don't think his "schedule" matters. I believe Togashi just draws at his own pace, when he wants (as he's said he wanted to in past interviews), and when enough chapters are ready, they're serialised as a batch. The last 3 times it's returned we've got a similar amount of chapters. And if his health is really that bad, I don't believe he could cope with a weekly schedule for 2-3 months. Plus, the guy became a mangaka because he wanted to. Say what you want, but I just can't see him ignoring the series for years at a time without working on it at all. Even if he just does a few panels a week. Not to mention the series would feel disconnected if he really had left it, which it never does. What's the bet it returns Spring 2018 for 8-10 chapters?

Plus, it's a flagship Jump series. It would never be serialised elsewhere, but I don't think he can manage a monthly schedule in Jump either. I'm sure they've tried to get him to do it...

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Has there ever been an antagonist with a small role stealing the crown from the main antagonist and became the main antagonist himself? I am hoping Overhaul from BNHA to become one, screw Shigaraki and his destiny with Midoriya.

Last edited:

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Obito and the Akatsuki
Apocryphos and Millennium Earl
Black Zetsu and Madara
Bakura and Pegasus
Vearn and Hadlar
Black Beard and the marine

Mawara

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Has there ever been an antagonist with a small role stealing the crown from the main antagonist and became the main antagonist himself? I am hoping Overhaul from BNHA to become one, screw Shigaraki and his destiny with Midoriya.
To be honest, Overhaul feels like a more experienced Shigaraki to me. Leaders of gangster groups & having deadly quirks, and most times they hide their mouths. They're not different enough for me to say who of these two I like more.
That's why my favourite MHA-antagonist is Hero Killer Stain. He is charismatic, has an interesting agenda & actually follows his own ideals(like saving Deku, bc he accept him as a hero).
(Not that I agree with him or would even call him a good guy, like many other MHA-fans do. But I understand what his intenstions are & where he is coming from.)

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
To be honest, Overhaul feels like a more experienced Shigaraki to me. Leaders of gangster groups & having deadly quirks, and most times they hide their mouths. They're not different enough for me to say who of these two I like more.
That's why my favourite MHA-antagonist is Hero Killer Stain. He is charismatic, has an interesting agenda & actually follows his own ideals(like saving Deku, bc he accept him as a hero).
(Not that I agree with him or would even call him a good guy, like many other MHA-fans do. But I understand what his intenstions are & where he is coming from.)
I like Stain too and he is my favorite too, but his ideals makes him not fit for the main antagonist seat which is my point, he feels more like an anti-hero than antagonist, like Deadpool.

Xzone

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Pucci is my jojo villain favourite but Funny and Kira are objetively better

Mawara

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Pucci is my jojo villain favourite but Funny and Kira are objetively better
Pucci is a more engaging villain, because he does things in the stoy & pursuits his own goals, but I think that Kira is more entertaining, because Pucci was too serious for my taste(at least he didnt have any weird quirks, so far I remember).
Not that fond of Funny Valentine. He has his strong points, but when he attempted to rape Lucy was just too much for me, to see him as an anti-villain. And the fact that he was first shown as a fat guy, but became much slimer later on. That was just confusing. Liked his fatter form more.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Pucci is a more engaging villain, because he does things in the stoy & pursuits his own goals, but I think that Kira is more entertaining, because Pucci was too serious for my taste(at least he didnt have any weird quirks, so far I remember).
Not that fond of Funny Valentine. He has his strong points, but when he attempted to rape Lucy was just too much for me, to see him as an anti-villain. And the fact that he was first shown as a fat guy, but became much slimer later on. That was just confusing. Liked his fatter form more.
@bold
He counted in prime numbers whenever he got nervous lol

Araki has a tendency of doing some drastic changes to characters. I.E Anasui first being depicted as a female.

Kira is great but I find him a tad bit overrated. He's still one of my fav's but I found Pucci was a better villain than Kira. Overall, I found Pucci & Funny as the best villains so far.

KageTrigger

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I see a lot of the antagonists that I'd have named. have been said already. But this is my list:

Yu-Gi-Oh: Pegasus and Bakura
Naruto: Pain and Madara
One Piece Arlong, Black Beard. and Enel
Rurouni Kenshin: Shishio
Yu Yu Hakusho: Toguro
Hunter x Hunter: Hisoka, Chrollo, and Meruem. (Dragon Quest is an honorary antagonist)
My Hero Academia: One for all (brief but impactful)
Bleach: Aizen
The Promised Neverland: Mama
Dragon Ball: King Piccolo and Cell
Shaman King: Hao

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Togashi's thing has always been a combination of 1. Wanting time to write the manga the way he wants to so he can plan it all out properly. 2. To not overwork himself. 3. Because he's old, he's been a mangaka since the 80's and can't draw as fast. 4. Because he has back problems. 5. Because he has wife and young children and doing a weekly manga schedule would prevent him from being part of that.

Also supposedly he's mentoring young authors to try to help them become the new "big hit" authors. Which also takes up his time.

SkerllyFC

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
This tv episode of MHA was spectacular, sure. But 3 episodes in, this tournament arc has been developing slow. I thought that with more episodes, the people at Bones would add some original content to give the sports festival some more needed life, like seeing more students get screentime, or like in this episode, see how some other students handle the "The Fall" part of the obstacle race. In HxH, you get to see a similar "The Fall" but we pass the majoritty of 1 episode seeing characters struggling to traverse it. So why can´t MHA have this in animation? Bones needs to add original content to this.

Bigivelfhq

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Togashi's thing has always been a combination of 1. Wanting time to write the manga the way he wants to so he can plan it all out properly. 2. To not overwork himself. 3. Because he's old, he's been a mangaka since the 80's and can't draw as fast. 4. Because he has back problems. 5. Because he has wife and young children and doing a weekly manga schedule would prevent him from being part of that.

Also supposedly he's mentoring young authors to try to help them become the new "big hit" authors. Which also takes up his time.
1. Stopping by long periods of times, even going as far as years. The thing is not about what he wants, but about what is reasonable, professionally and ethically.
The simple answer is that is way past the reasonable, professional and ethical, for any kind of work that exists.

2. Overworking and stopping by long periods of time is not the same. They might seems because they both have to do with free time, but that is how far the relation goes. You just don't go to work for years and justify that with, not wanting to overwork yourself!

3. You don't really want to say 80's because his professional career started in 1989, basically 90's. Trying to add 10 years to his career? If that was the case he would be in Toriyama generation.
There is a lot, but a lot, of older mangaka that work way more than what he does. Is age is not an excuse at all.
And he didn't started doing hiatus now, if we are generous we can say he started the hiatus problem in 2006(Year where he only made 4 chapters of HxH) he had 40 years at that time. The retirement age is for every country around 60 years, he started his retirement 20 years to early(is seems you're treating being a mangaka as like he is a sportmen, where your career ends around 30-40 years).

You have many mangaka that are still active way past 40 years. Like Oda(since 2015), Mitsuru Adachi, Rumiko Takahashi, Ai Yazawa(2007), Hiromi Arakawa(Full Metal Alchemist), Gosho Aoyama(Detective Conan), George Morikawa(Hajime no Ippo), Keisuke Itagaki(Baki the Grappler), Tetsu Kariya(Oishinbo), the authors of Dragon Quest and Kindaichi(where one of the authors in each series is really sick, but still working) and the list goes on and on and on.
And it gets worse when we start talking about Tezuka, Golgo author, Kochikame author, Cooking Papa author, Dokaben author, Cyborg 009 author, and many other authors like them.

5.(leaving 4th place to the end) - He is the only mangaka that has wife/husband and kids? Are you saying other mangakas don't have a conjugal life and are singles for life? Many people, even not mangaka, have works that spends tons of their time and still they have children and a partners. That is not a reasonable excuse at all.
He wants to spend more time with them? There is many things he can do, to achieve that. Like working monthly instead of weekly, or even bi-monthly, or even semestral(2 times per year). How do you compare that to years without working?

4. So are you really in believe that he stayed for 11 years(since 2006) with back pain enough to affect is work in such a degree. And note that he isn't some poor worker that doesn't have the ways for improving his health situation, and neither is in a situation just to give up.

There is really not a good explanation for what he did that can exonerate him. Or you just accept that he screwed up, or you call him special snowflake(that is basically what you're calling him by providing this stupid excuses).
I believe that calling somebody a special snowflake is the worse of the two. You're basically calling him retarded, so he needs special care.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I honestly don't think his "schedule" matters. I believe Togashi just draws at his own pace, when he wants (as he's said he wanted to in past interviews), and when enough chapters are ready, they're serialised as a batch. The last 3 times it's returned we've got a similar amount of chapters. And if his health is really that bad, I don't believe he could cope with a weekly schedule for 2-3 months. Plus, the guy became a mangaka because he wanted to. Say what you want, but I just can't see him ignoring the series for years at a time without working on it at all. Even if he just does a few panels a week. Not to mention the series would feel disconnected if he really had left it, which it never does. What's the bet it returns Spring 2018 for 8-10 chapters?

Plus, it's a flagship Jump series. It would never be serialised elsewhere, but I don't think he can manage a monthly schedule in Jump either. I'm sure they've tried to get him to do it...
"The guy became a mangaka because he wanted to" -> Tell me about a person that became a manga when they didn't wanted to? ... What is the argument here?

"The series would feel disconnected if he really had left it, which it never does" -> Some people would like to disagree with you. Simple example, Do you know the time where in the middle of an arc it started to have huge amounts of narration. Yep, that was totally not disconnected at all.

"I believe Togashi just draws at his own pace, ..." -> Good to know, I will be doing the same thing in my job. When my boss comes to me to talk about how I'm not following the schedule, I will simply say that I work at my own pace!

Sorry to spoil your fun, but by this point Hunter x Hunter is not a flagship of the magazine at all. And it hasn't been for a long time.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Which jump series had/has the best overall antagonist?
One Piece ->

Captain Kuro
Don Krieg
Arlong
Smoker
Crocodile
Enel
Aokiji
Kizaru
Akainu
Lucci
Moria
Bartolomeu Kuma
Tenryubito
Magellan
Sengoku and Garp
Fake Luffy
Hody(yep, Hody!)
Caeser Clown(the Great and only Gastino)
Doflamingo
Jack
Big Mom, Kaido, Black Beard, Shanks

Overall there is not other manga that can compete at all. That is certainly one of the reasons why One Piece is the #1 manga series, and why it sells around 1 Million more copies than its closest competitor.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not going to criticize Togashi for his hiatuses. I feel like I'm in no place to tell him what he is able and isn't able to do. I just believe he should let a new artist take over so we can actually reach an end to the series. This is very common in the American comic book industry when an artist is unable to continue for whatever reason.

Btw, has an artist ever been replaced in any manga during its run

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
One Piece ->

Captain Kuro
Don Krieg
Arlong
Smoker
Crocodile
Enel
Aokiji
Kizaru
Akainu
Lucci
Moria
Bartolomeu Kuma
Tenryubito
Magellan
Sengoku and Garp
Fake Luffy
Hody(yep, Hody!)
Caeser Clown(the Great and only Gastino)
Doflamingo
Jack
Big Mom, Kaido, Black Beard, Shanks

Overall there is not other manga that can compete at all. That is certainly one of the reasons why One Piece is the #1 manga series, and why it sells around 1 Million more copies than its closest competitor.
Your list doesn't have Buggy D. Clown or Wanze. Invalid list.

Last edited:

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Artists and writers being replaced in an ongoing series is one of the biggest problems with the american comic industry, what's the point of keeping up with something if it's just going to completely change part way through multiple times? It's no longer the same series at that point, you're reading someone else's interpretation of the thing you like and at that point you might as well be reading fanfiction.

Personally I'd rather Togashi stay on permanent hiatus than have another artist take over, it's fine for spin-offs and sequels but it should never switch mid-run.

Status
Not open for further replies.