Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm a HUGE MHA fan. But the plot is nothing unique. It just pull of the cliche's and tropes very well
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have to admit that Shokugeki no Soma, in essence, is cliche because it is a battle shounen through and through, but it does things in a high level.
My Hero Academia also does things in a high level, with some reserves.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Soma is your textbook "cooking battle" manga with stripping and school-life setting. It's just that the genre has been pretty dead in the mainstream shounen realm for the past decade or so.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
I think the "cooking battle" formula has gotten kinda repetitive especially since the overall story structure barely changed since the beginning of the series. Souma's battles especially. I think that the story can mix up the formula a bit by borrowing elements from other cooking manga and showcase them in a manner similar to what Bakuman did for shonen manga writing. Things like how do certain resteraunts function, where does the food come from what happens when a restaurant goes under or changes management. Things like that.
 

heavyreader

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Age
38
Country
United States
We've gotten some of that restaurant inner workings stuff before. It's just that it was before Azami entered the picture. And this arc has gone on for what feels like so long now it's easy to forget.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Making golf interesting seems unique to me haha. But what do I know?

My opinion is biased. Souma is cliche but SDS is not.

If we start talking that all battle shounen-ish manga is cliche we might as well stop this discussion.

It's funny because people used to complain about BC to be that way but now find the EXACTLY same things on their favorite series.

I'm thrilled that I lived to see that =)
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
If we start talking that all battle shounen-ish manga is cliche we might as well stop this discussion.

It's funny because people used to complain about BC to be that way but now find the EXACTLY same things on their favorite series.

I'm thrilled that I lived to see that =)
They are all cliche and it is not a bad thing per se. It's all about execution and Black Clover doesn't even try to be original, it's outright copy, therefore bad execution. I think Black Clover was the only one accused of plagiarism since I came to this thread in 2012.

I think nobody here reads Jump expecting innovation, just a good execution of what was already seen and rarely something truly original.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Ratings are out for the week of May 1~7

サザエさん フジテレビ '17/05/07(日) 18:30 - 30 12.4
ちびまる子ちゃん フジテレビ '17/05/07(日) 18:00 - 30 8.2
ワンピース フジテレビ '17/05/07(日) 9:30 - 30 6.8 (One Piece)
名探偵コナン 日本テレビ '17/05/06(土) 18:00 - 30 6.6 (Conan)
ドラゴンボール超 フジテレビ '17/05/07(日) 9:00 - 30 5.3 (Dragon Ball)
僕のヒーローアカデミア 日本テレビ '17/05/06(土) 17:30 - 30 3.5 (Heroaca)
キラキラ・プリキュアアラモード テレビ朝日 '17/05/07(日) 8:30 - 30 3.4
激レア!忍たま25名作スペシャル NHKEテレ '17/05/02(火) 18:00 - 20 3.3
アニメおさるのジョージ NHKEテレ '17/05/06(土) 8:35 - 25 3.2
アニメきかんしゃトーマス NHKEテレ '17/05/04(木) 9:00 - 30 3.0
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
so bha shoud overtake dragon ball soon. A lot of new fans are starting to watch it. Plus the manga is selling even better than before.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
The curious thing is that the episode shown in the ranks(ep. 6) is all talking and no action.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
They are all cliche and it is not a bad thing per se. It's all about execution and Black Clover doesn't even try to be original, it's outright copy, therefore bad execution. I think Black Clover was the only one accused of plagiarism since I came to this thread in 2012.

I think nobody here reads Jump expecting innovation, just a good execution of what was already seen and rarely something truly original.
I thought we were talking about purely cliche. But I agree, the execution is terrible. Even so with all the repercussion I particularly received from the OVA, I don't know... Me might have something here hahaha.

Oh BTW... I also said that MHA ratings would drop. Another score, right?

I asked but it seems my questions vanished... Anybody knows how Zumou is doing? The end was already announced in any way within the last chapters?
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Oh BTW... I also said that MHA ratings would drop. Another score, right?

I asked but it seems my questions vanished... Anybody knows how Zumou is doing? The end was already announced in any way within the last chapters?
MHA rose this week though, Ep 5 didn't even chart. So don't really know what to expect, it is natural to think it would fall over time though.

No ending announced, but theyre now onto the final match of the tournament. Like I've said before, it depends if they decide/let Kawada do another 10-15 chs for the final tournament because this current one technically doesn't get Hinomaru anywhere. Or they just skip straight to it after this which would still result in a decent ending. Granted, the match that just finished lasted 2 chs while the rest have been 3-5, it seemed very abrupt. So maybe it's being rushed? Could end 5-20 chapters imo.
On another note, it's third year anniversary is in 2 wks. I wonder if they'll bother giving it a cover or even Lead CP? Guess it depends if they are in fact rushing it to end. Tbh I was surprised Saiki got one. They have no reason to give HZ one, but it does seem to get special treatment...
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
so bha shoud overtake dragon ball soon. A lot of new fans are starting to watch it. Plus the manga is selling even better than before.
Ratings don't really work like that. It will have to be a very good week for MHA to overtake Dragonball. It isn't going to suddenly increase that much, it's more likely to drop than anything.
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Ratings don't really work like that. It will have to be a very good week for MHA to overtake Dragonball. It isn't going to suddenly increase that much, it's more likely to drop than anything.
Dragon ball is droping. That is for sure and BHA is just starting to get really good. Considering how well the manga is selling we should see big ratings next week.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Dragon ball is droping. That is for sure and BHA is just starting to get really good. Considering how well the manga is selling we should see big ratings next week.
errr BHA isn't selling all that much for one to expect a sudden big jump in TV rating.

If anything, the rating dropped compared to a few weeks ago. (and Dragon Ball had a slight boost)

サザエさん フジテレビ '17/04/16(日) 18:30 - 30 11.5
クレヨンしんちゃん テレビ朝日 '17/04/14(金) 19:30 - 24 8.5
ドラえもん テレビ朝日 '17/04/14(金) 19:00 - 30 7.9
ちびまる子ちゃん フジテレビ '17/04/16(日) 18:00 - 30 7.1
名探偵コナン 日本テレビ '17/04/15(土) 18:00 - 30 6.4 (Conan)
ワンピース フジテレビ '17/04/16(日) 9:30 - 30 5.9 (One piece)
ドラゴンボール超 フジテレビ '17/04/16(日) 9:00 - 30 5.0 (Dragon Ball)
僕のヒーローアカデミア 日本テレビ '17/04/15(土) 17:30 - 30 3.9 (Heroaca)
アニメおさるのジョージ NHKEテレ '17/04/15(土) 8:35 - 25 3.7
ポケットモンスターサン&ムーン テレビ東京 '17/04/13(木) 18:55 - 30 3.6 (Pokemon)

It got 3.9%, up by 0.4% from episode 2 and beating out pokemon.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MHA rose this week though, Ep 5 didn't even chart. So don't really know what to expect, it is natural to think it would fall over time though.

No ending announced, but theyre now onto the final match of the tournament. Like I've said before, it depends if they decide/let Kawada do another 10-15 chs for the final tournament because this current one technically doesn't get Hinomaru anywhere. Or they just skip straight to it after this which would still result in a decent ending. Granted, the match that just finished lasted 2 chs while the rest have been 3-5, it seemed very abrupt. So maybe it's being rushed? Could end 5-20 chapters imo.
On another note, it's third year anniversary is in 2 wks. I wonder if they'll bother giving it a cover or even Lead CP? Guess it depends if they are in fact rushing it to end. Tbh I was surprised Saiki got one. They have no reason to give HZ one, but it does seem to get special treatment...
Not on OP or DBs level as I stated... Just a normal jump battle shounen rating.

This is the time for Zumou anime or it's inevitable end.

errr BHA isn't selling all that much for one to expect a sudden big jump in TV rating.

If anything, the rating dropped compared to a few weeks ago. (and Dragon Ball had a slight boost)
Don't feed it...
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
errr BHA isn't selling all that much for one to expect a sudden big jump in TV rating.

If anything, the rating dropped compared to a few weeks ago. (and Dragon Ball had a slight boost)
Dragon ball is in episode 86 bha is on episode 6. BHA will grow much more while dragon ball will go down. Like toriko.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Dragon ball is in episode 86 bha is on episode 6. BHA will grow much more while dragon ball will go down. Like toriko.
Dragon Ball > Toriko > BHA

It'll remain that way forever.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top