Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^Which is ironic when they're serializing Detective Conan one of the most popular and well-celebrated manga and anime in Japan which enjoys popularity with adults who read it from the beginning as much as kids reading it now and then right next to it is Syn's latest trainwreck where he frequently tries to push the bar in taste with how skimpy he can draw an outfit on a girl until she's practically naked.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Okay... Seems we have to cancel a couple more rookies for you guys to start venerating veterans.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^What veteran would you like to come back then? Seems like most of them would rather stick to a monthly schedule than go back to weekly though
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Okay... Seems we have to cancel a couple more rookies for you guys to start venerating veterans.
Only one of the 3 veterans is in a safe position
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Just read chapter 9 to 14 of Spring Weapon N1 (not in English). It is still funny.

It reminds me of Sket Dance. Right now all chapters are episodic. It doesn't use lots of Japanese puns. It needs some sale to secure a place in WSJ but I want to read more of it in the future.
 
Last edited:

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Yeah, from what I've read of it, I genuinely find it pretty funny. Of course, it's still not as funny as Saiki, but it does a good job.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I enjoyed Spring Weapon's 1st 3 chapters a lot. I wish it got translated
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wonder how much longer Isobe will last for, I remember people before thinking that Jump maybe hopes Spring Weapon can be a new back of the magazine kind of thing (I feel like those tend to have rather quirky art-styles though).

I'm a big late of the magazine comparison I really wonder how Champion's sales these days compare to the other three, I don't think it was all that far behind Sunday back around 2010 and it still has somewhat of an actual image to it compared to Sunday being a bit of a bland jack of all trades these days. I wonder if it's dropped off slow enough to pull ahead of Sunday.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Have you ever thought that One Piece might never happen if Jump was not as open to newbies as it is? Should I refresh your memories that One Piece is Oda first serialization?
Renovation is always good, a author who had a good series doesn't guarantee another good series right after that. It is not a case for veneration by any means.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Have you ever thought that One Piece might never happen if Jump was not as open to newbies as it is? Should I refresh your memories that One Piece is Oda first serialization?
Renovation is always good, a author who had a good series doesn't guarantee another good series right after that. It is not a case for veneration by any means.
Oda is Oda.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
I'm a big late of the magazine comparison I really wonder how Champion's sales these days compare to the other three, I don't think it was all that far behind Sunday back around 2010 and it still has somewhat of an actual image to it compared to Sunday being a bit of a bland jack of all trades these days. I wonder if it's dropped off slow enough to pull ahead of Sunday.
From yearly report for 2016:

Jump: 2,220K
Magazine: 509K 1032K
CoroCoro: 840K
Sunday: 350K
Champion: 500K
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also:

 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Magazine is over 1 million there, the 509k one is the monthly one.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
How many Veterens with past success have come back to the magazine for a second success lately? Recently Assassination Classroom in 2012, Toriko in 2008, and Bakuman in the same year... And how many have failed in comparison? That's 3 vs the 10-15+ who have made successful new series in that time, some of which are now carrying the magazine.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
We know that his argument doesn't make sense, so let's just forget it. Don't want to see a recap of the last new series round discussion.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Remember to check the comment about WCS next big thing in 4th and then... Not so much... =)
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
People talk about Jump printing numbers decreasing, but they forget to say that part of the reason is that people are moving to digital release. Jump had how much of decrease? Some thousands? I think it's reasonable to say that it was absorbed by digital sales.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I predicted KnY hitting that 80k mark, now let's hit 100k.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Issue #25 Cover :


Issue 26 Preview :

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan Color Spread :
 

randimari

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2017
Messages
105
Reaction score
248
Age
33
Country
United States
Boichi is doing another weekly series alongside Dr. Stone. Also, the series has a real life scientist consulting for it.
Question in all seriousness: what does this have to do with Dr. Stone being a meh story or not? I don't see where the correlation is just because Boichi is a hard and dedicated worker with two ongoing serializations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top