- Joined
- Aug 5, 2016
- Messages
- 3,330
- Reaction score
- 5,440
- Age
- 33
- Country
-
How does the latest Kimetsu No Yaiba arc compare to the Spider Family arc to you guys?
Not as good. The current arc is just 'okay' to me. It feels a bit dragged out, although I really liked the section about Tanjirou realising he was in a dream and trying to escape.How does the latest Kimetsu No Yaiba arc compare to the Spider Family arc to you guys?
don't like it.How does the latest Kimetsu No Yaiba arc compare to the Spider Family arc to you guys?
So if I read that right around the time of Bleaches steady decline in popularity is when Kubo started losing interest in making Bleach.Tumblr user MissStormCaller has translated the first 2 pages of the Kubo x Matsui interview:
Two mangaka are gathered here, they have created works that are great hits shining brightly through the history of JUMP. A passionate talk unfolds, extending over two hours!
—- “There is a difference between the things you want to draw and the things you can draw. The creator should draw the things they can draw. That’s what I’ve heard, but what do the two senseis think about that statement?” That is the question from pen name - “Red Pencil san”.
Matsui: First of all, I think Kubo sensei is probably the opposite. You draw the things you want to draw right?
Kubo: That’s right. Because, I think that the things I want to draw, is something I can draw…
Matsui: I thought so…!
Kubo: If I like it, I will try to draw it.
Matsui: In my case, it is the opposite. There is no choice but to like the things I can draw. As a prerequisite, there is this idea that the readers will not approve of something I can't even draw.
—- Ah, I see.
Matsui: Through the course of trial and error, when the readers have said “that was interesting wasn’t it?” about certain things, it is those things that is ‘what I can draw’. If they do approve of it, I will then try to intensively focus on that next time, and whilst in the process of driving my pen forward, I think it will gradually grow into something that I want to draw. It revolves around the recipients at first. Like in debate over whether the chicken came first or the egg, I think it is not a matter of right or wrong.
—- Conversely, Kubo sensei's standpoint is drawing what he would like to draw rather than what he can draw. Does this mean it is like an extension of sensei’s hobby?
Kubo: That’s true, absolutely.
Matsui: Kubo sensei once said somewhere, “no matter how I express it, if something comes to mind and I don’t let it out, I will not feel satisfied” isn’t that right? That left quite an impression on me.
Kubo: Ah, that’s right. If I don’t draw it, I will start to feel sick when it doesn’t take form.
—- You don’t want to leave ideas idle in your mind isn’t it?
Kubo: That’s correct. So I will draw it right away, and then place it next to me.
—- But it doesn't necessarily mean you want to make it into a piece of work?
Kubo: Yes that’s right. Because I was drawing “BLEACH” all the time, there were many ideas I couldn’t use. Right away, I would compose a storyboard or something…it repeatedly gets lost somewhere.
Matsui: Waaa!
—- What a waste!
Kubo: I don’t know where they went (Laughs).
Matsui: I really want to read them (laughs). Because it was drawn before the series isn’t that right?
Kubo: Right. But I didn’t store them sometimes I didn’t know what notes I discarded.
—- Therefore it’s such a waste (laughs)!
Matsui: What did you write your notes on?
Kubo: It was on copy paper. It is on those papers where I usually draw my storyboards. In the final stages of the series, I did not have any spare time to do that though…
Side text: (After the series finished) “When taking an MRI, my shoulder tendons were severed.” (Kubo)
Matsui: That’s right, I wanted to ask you. When continuing a weekly series, didn’t you ever become dazed midway through?
Kubo: dazed (laughs)?
Matsui: Have you never momentarily drawn like you were writing something automatically?
Kubo: Ah, I understand! I get it!
Matsui: A state in which you are somehow able to draw because your body has memorised how to draw. Given that there really is no flexibility to draw whilst thinking about various things like I did in my former days. Kubo sensei, how soon did you lose that flexibility?
Kubo: probably around the final 3 years?
Matsui: Ehhh!! Over 10 years since the serialisation!?
Kubo: by that time, my physical condition had deteriorated so much, I had lost that flexibility.
Matsui: For me, it came after the first 3 years (laughs). At the time of both “Neuro: Supernatural Detective” as well “Assassination Classroom”, as soon as 3 years had passed, I was already in a daze.
Kubo: Ahaha (laughs).
Matsui: The 15 years that “Bleach” has accomplished is an extraordinary time impossible to imagine. Therefore, I wondered if there is something in that time that only Kubo sensei can see.
—- You were able to keep that up as far as 10 years until your physical condition deteriorated?
Kubo: That’s right. I was able to keep drawing as usual for as many as 10 years, after the decline in my health, I was conscious about managing my physical condition. From then on, I was trying not to catch a cold.
Matsui: It’s a peculiar manner of speaking but, when I was younger, there was a part of me that thought I was invincible. When I got sick one time, I lost confidence in that thinking “I was wrong…” (laughs).
Kubo: Ah I see. I’d even catch colds while I was still young, I would take medicine and then sleep for 6 hours to cure it. I thought my health became bad in the mornings. I felt like I’d get better in the evenings and do some work, but gradually that became ineffective.
—- That’s sad Isn’t it…
Matsui: The pressures of doing a weekly series is truly staggering, so that heavy pressure has replaced any sort of cold for me. Well, in my case, my series did not go on as long as Kubo sensei’s, so thankfully there hasn’t been any substantial decline in my health… I am not confident about whether or not I can draw in the same way in a subsequent series.
Kubo: It gradually gets worse.
—- Is it an age related thing?
Kubo: Well, during a series, adrenaline rises to the surface, and you no longer understand poor physical health. So I end up getting colds when things like double issues happen.
—- There was talk of such a thing in your last conversation…
Kubo: This time, when this lengthy series ended, my health became worse as expected.
—- What happened?
Kubo: It felt like everything until now came at once!
Matsui: Hahaha (laughs).
Kubo: Especially amongst that, I was always thinking my shoulder hurts. And so, even after several months it did not get better in the slightest.
—- Uh huh.
Kubo: When taking an MRI, my shoulder tendons were severed.
—- Huuhh!?
Kubo: I have a habit of leaning my body weight on my left shoulder whilst drawing. It seems that happened because my shoulder took that load. I was told there was a partial fracture.
Matsui: You mean you didn’t realise what it was?
Kubo: It became awfully painful the next day after making the manuscript for the last chapter.
—- Amazing…
Matsui: Indeed, that's amazing.
Kubo: Is it really?
Matsui: Well, yes! That’s not normal at all. Hearing that puts me to shame. I wonder if you did the manuscript thinking “I’m going as far as to give up my whole body and soul for this” ? (Laughs).
Kubo: Not at all (laughs).
—- The more kubo sensei doesn’t understand pain, the more he says “I’ll draw something I want to draw” huh?
Kubo: Ah, going back to the original conversation (laughs).
—- Let’s get back on track (laughs).
Matsui: I think a series won’t even last a year unless there is fun (laughs).
Kubo: That’s right, it can’t.
god damn it I was so hyped when he said he had a new series why did it have to be thisWorld's End Harem get Voice Drama :https://www.shonenjump.com/kikujump/
Jun Ogino's Tômei Ningen no Hone oneshot (published in june 2016 in Young Jump) will became serie in Shônen Jump +.
![]()
Funny thing we didn't mentioned Togashi's mentor, Hisashi Eguchi. He worked on "Stop!! Hibari-Kun!" Starting in 1981, 45# Issue.I didn't knew Nakaba have a break in Rissing, I comprend a little more his break now
Other examples:Orange Road and Bastard?

Its 53 chapter series.Funny thing we didn't mentioned Togashi's mentor, Hisashi Eguchi. He worked on "Stop!! Hibari-Kun!" Starting in 1981, 45# Issue.
The first chapters came out without any delay, had quite a high popularity with having a Cover at the 10th chapter (1982, 1-2#) and few "All Jump Heroes" Covers. Unlike today, back then some of "All Jump" was just "Popular Jump" so Hibari was with Dr. Slump, Kochikame, Kinnikuman and Kimengumi on covers. (1982, 7#. 1982 #9).
The first break was after 22 chapters, 1982, 16# was the 700 issue of Jump since 1968, Dr. Slump and Hibari-kun featured at the cover, but there was no chapter for Hibari that week. The series came back at the next issue, after 3 issues it went for it's first 'long' hiatus for 15 issues. It came back to Jump in 1982, #35 with a cover. From chapter 26 to 47 everything seems to be OK with Eguchi, but in 1983, 7# was the start of his 2nd hiatus, a 17 issues break. It came back in 1983, 24# with a TV Anime Announcement, only to fool the readers and after 2 chapter Eguchi 3rd hiatus started. This time, shorter, "only" 12 issues missed. Resumed publication in 1983, 38# to it's last chapter in 1983, 51#.
45 breaks to a 63 chapter series.
While writing this post I found out that it's completely translated, time to read!
Are you sure Togashi actually worked under him?Funny thing we didn't mentioned Togashi's mentor, Hisashi Eguchi. He worked on "Stop!! Hibari-Kun!" Starting in 1981, 45# Issue.
The first chapters came out without any delay, had quite a high popularity with having a Cover at the 10th chapter (1982, 1-2#) and few "All Jump Heroes" Covers. Unlike today, back then some of "All Jump" was just "Popular Jump" so Hibari was with Dr. Slump, Kochikame, Kinnikuman and Kimengumi on covers. (1982, 7#. 1982 #9).
The first break was after 22 chapters, 1982, 16# was the 700 issue of Jump since 1968, Dr. Slump and Hibari-kun featured at the cover, but there was no chapter for Hibari that week. The series came back at the next issue, after 3 issues it went for it's first 'long' hiatus for 15 issues. It came back to Jump in 1982, #35 with a cover. From chapter 26 to 47 everything seems to be OK with Eguchi, but in 1983, 7# was the start of his 2nd hiatus, a 17 issues break. It came back in 1983, 24# with a TV Anime Announcement, only to fool the readers and after 2 chapter Eguchi 3rd hiatus started. This time, shorter, "only" 12 issues missed. Resumed publication in 1983, 38# to it's last chapter in 1983, 51#.
45 breaks to a 63 chapter series.
While writing this post I found out that it's completely translated, time to read!
Yes, he did. In fact, last year Eguchi commented that he blamed himself for influencing Togashi into taking a lot of breaks.Are you sure Togashi actually worked under him?
The original run in WSJ had 63 chapters, there might be some different counting in the Tankobon version or between the original run and the new 3-volume Kanzenban versions that Futabasha / Shogakukan released along the years.Its 53 chapter series.
It was not mentioned directly that he worked under him, called him mentor as a joke.Are you sure Togashi actually worked under him?
You mean this? http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...kes-credit-for-hunter-hunter-hiatuses/.102082Yes, he did. In fact, last year Eguchi commented that he blamed himself for influencing Togashi into taking a lot of breaks.
My mistake then. I assumed wrong.You mean this? http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...kes-credit-for-hunter-hunter-hiatuses/.102082
From what I can tell there's no record of Togashi working as an assistant for anyone.