Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why are you guys so into this ratings? It means jack for the series success or popularity lol.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Why are you guys so into this ratings? It means jack for the series success or popularity lol.
How so? Ratings are a good indicator if a new season will come too (how well it sells as well) or if it'll keep it's timeslot in the next season.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Except it does mean things about the success and popularity. C'mon, you didn't even put any effort into this bait.
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
So I just started reading Hungry Marie and honestly, I actually like the series. The humor is great and the plot absurd.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ratings is all and good, but it is not something we get frequently, the overwhelming majority of the animes don't get there so I think even the studios rely on BD/DVD sales more than ratings. It is discussable which one gives more money to the studio though... Based on the fact that some studios (Toei) didn't even bother to put something with decent quality on TV and correct everything, making a prestine edition to DVD/BD I bet that they earn more money selling media.

So I just started reading Hungry Marie and honestly, I actually like the series. The humor is great and the plot absurd.
RIP sense of taste. Go back to be a Shokugeki fan, man. I beg you. XD
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Ratings is all and good, but it is not something we get frequently, the overwhelming majority of the animes don't get there so I think even the studios rely on BD/DVD sales more than ratings. It is discussable which one gives more money to the studio though... Based on the fact that some studios (Toei) didn't even bother to put something with decent quality on TV and correct everything, making a prestine edition to DVD/BD I bet that they earn more money selling media.

RIP sense of taste. Go back to be a Shokugeki fan, man. I beg you. XD
I am a sucker for two types of Manga: Gender Swap and Vampire.

I am currently reading both Servamp and Hungry Marie on binge, so it will have to wait. (Ashame Marie is going to die in a few weeks unless a Miracle happens :<. Taiga makes a great female MC).
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Ratings is all and good, but it is not something we get frequently, the overwhelming majority of the animes don't get there so I think even the studios rely on BD/DVD sales more than ratings. It is discussable which one gives more money to the studio though... Based on the fact that some studios (Toei) didn't even bother to put something with decent quality on TV and correct everything, making a prestine edition to DVD/BD I bet that they earn more money selling media.

RIP sense of taste. Go back to be a Shokugeki fan, man. I beg you. XD
That's because other seasonal shows get aired really late. Like SnS season 1/2 was aired late like at 2 am. Boku no hero on the other hand airs at a good time slot so the ratings will matter.

I think TV ratings generate more than BD/DVD sales for the studio. (someone can correct me on that)
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How so? Ratings are a good indicator if a new season will come too (how well it sells as well) or if it'll keep it's timeslot in the next season.
Come on, even if MHA did not get into the most viewed series we know it will receive another season.

Except it does mean things about the success and popularity. C'mon, you didn't even put any effort into this bait.
It's no bait, I really meant it.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Come on, even if MHA did not get into the most viewed series we know it will receive another season.
I wouldn't if it did poorly, at least I won't expect a 2 cour. Does bones even do a lot of season 3's? I think Kekkai Sensen is the worthy contender of getting one of the longest runs in a bones show. Unless the new director fucks it up which can happen. They seem to stop at second seasons lol

They got this timeslots for a reason. They were expecting good TV ratings so if it does bad that could mean a shorter run or different timeslots (or both). These ratings do matter.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That's because other seasonal shows get aired really late. Like SnS season 1/2 was aired late like at 2 am. Boku no hero on the other hand airs at a good time slot so the ratings will matter.

I think TV ratings generate more than BD/DVD sales for the studio. (someone can correct me on that)
You answered your own question. The studios would be in famine if they depended on TV ratings because the majority of them are aired in a bad time.
Toei is the studio that gets more anime in the top 10 ratings and even them put the draft of the episode to air, so it is hard to convince me otherwise. TV is meant to advertise the anime a little bit to sell more BD/DVDs, I bet.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
You answered your own question. The studios would be in famine if they depended on TV ratings because the majority of them are aired in a bad time.
Toei is the studio that gets more anime in the top 10 ratings and even them put the draft of the episode to air, so it is hard to convince me otherwise. TV is meant to advertise the anime a little bit to sell more BD/DVDs, I bet.
With BNHA case, Bones is expecting good ratings and BD sales so both are important then.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I figure that Bones isn't really after disc sales considering the sales of the first season (average of 3.5k). Granted, the sales weren't bad, just don't look like they brought in much of a profit. There's also the fact that battle shounen rarely sell discs because the younger target audience doesn't really have the money to buy them.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
With BNHA case, Bones is expecting good ratings and BD sales so both are important then.
Bones isn't that high up on the production committee. It has little say in whether it will get another season and Minami, Bones's president said they want to keep Heroaca as a long running project in an ANN interview so on that front Bones is ready to adapt it for a long time. This myth that certain studios don't do second seasons is simply coincidence as the companies higher up in the committee simply felt like it wasn't time or no need to do a second season. Also if you look at the recent break down of revenue you'll see that disc sales are only a small part of revenue but its one of the numbers we the public get so its one of the only few metrics available to tell a show's popularity. For series that air in the day, a large amount of people record everything and watch later. This is especially true as I see people who are just now watching last week's episode or haven't gotten around to even watch the Bakugou vs Ochako fight. Its overall doing well as the ending song released last week was a new personal best in both ranking and sales for the group, Little Glee Monster. The opening's full version that was released on Wednesday hit 1 million views in 1 day.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
So I just started reading Hungry Marie and honestly, I actually like the series. The humor is great and the plot absurd.
It is until 14 chapters later and nothing has happened... :(
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I wouldn't if it did poorly, at least I won't expect a 2 cour. Does bones even do a lot of season 3's? I think Kekkai Sensen is the worthy contender of getting one of the longest runs in a bones show. Unless the new director fucks it up which can happen. They seem to stop at second seasons lol

They got this timeslots for a reason. They were expecting good TV ratings so if it does bad that could mean a shorter run or different timeslots (or both). These ratings do matter.
Honestly I don't think Bone's past work is really relevant for MHA. Because they haven't really adapted any weekly manga adaptations(if any), and this is their first adaptation. Of a popular Jump manga.
None of us know the game plan, but I feel like given that MHA is one of Jump's biggest titles currently, it's going to receive seasons as long as the manga is relevant and successful.
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
It is until 14 chapters later and nothing has happened... :(
I think if this series gets axed, Marie and Taiga's souls will just fuse into one and we get a kung-fu fighting himedere that wins Anna's love.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Bones isn't that high up on the production committee. It has little say in whether it will get another season and Minami, Bones's president said they want to keep Heroaca as a long running project in an ANN interview so on that front Bones is ready to adapt it for a long time. This myth that certain studios don't do second seasons is simply coincidence as the companies higher up in the committee simply felt like it wasn't time or no need to do a second season. Also if you look at the recent break down of revenue you'll see that disc sales are only a small part of revenue but its one of the numbers we the public get so its one of the only few metrics available to tell a show's popularity. For series that air in the day, a large amount of people record everything and watch later. This is especially true as I see people who are just now watching last week's episode or haven't gotten around to even watch the Bakugou vs Ochako fight. Its overall doing well as the ending song released last week was a new personal best in both ranking and sales for the group, Little Glee Monster. The opening's full version that was released on Wednesday hit 1 million views in 1 day.
To clarify for y'all about Little Glee Monster's release, it ranked smackdab at #3 between Idolmaster and Love Live Sunshine! That is a huge achivement.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Can you post this ranking here? I cannot find such ranking on Oricon.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Can you post this ranking here? I cannot find such ranking on Oricon.
From MAL:
Rank / This week's sales by copies / Cumulative sales / Titles
CD Single
*1. 1,305,747 1,305,747 AKB48 "Negaigoto no Mochigusare"
*2. *,*48,964 *,*48,964 THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS STARLIGHT MASTER 11 AnKira!? Kyousoukyoku by Anzu Futaba (CV: Hiromi Igarashi), Kirari Moroboshi (CV: Rei Matsuzaki)
*3. *,*28,316 *,*28,316 Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season ED "Dakara, Hitori ja Nai" by Little Glee Monster
*4. *,*27,024 *,*27,024 GALAXY HidE and SeeK by AZALEA
*5. *,*25,297 *,*62,734 The iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls Gekijou ED "Etude wa Ikkyoku dake" by THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS LITTLE STARS! [Rin Shibuya (CV: Ayaka Fukuhara), Haruna Kamijou (CV: Kana Nakashima), Nao Kamiya (CV: Eriko Matsui), Ranko Kanzaki (CV: Maaya Uchida), Miyu Mifuna (CV: Sayaka Harada)]
*6. *,*23,103 *,*23,103 Namie Amuro "Just You and I"
*9. *,*10,661 *,*10,661 SKY-HI (Mitsuhiro Hidaka from AAA) "Silly Game"
11. *,**7,898 *,200,775 Kame to YamaP "Senakagoshi no Chance"
12. *,**7,507 *,*84,383 Cinderella Girls Gekijou ED "Kira! Mankai Smile" by THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS LITTLE STARS! [Uzuki Shimamura (CV: Ayaka Ohashi), Miho Kohinata (CV: Minami Tsuda), Mayu Sakuma (CV: Yui Makino), Momoka Sakurai (CV: Haruka Terui), Anzu Futaba (CV: Hiromi Igarashi)]
14. *,**4,514 *,**4,514 Puripuri Chii-chan!! ED "Honey and Loops" by Aki Toyosaki
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I see, they have access to anticipated charts.
あんきら is unbeatable. :hee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top