Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I just noticed Neverland is approaching its 1 year anniversary

wow, time sure flies

it seems like it was only yesterday when tards were calling Red Sprite the next Bleach
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Demons Plan is going to be the next big thing btw. I can feel it.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
it seems like it was only yesterday when tards were calling Red Sprite the next Bleach
You have a very good memory, where do you find space to save names of irrelevant series like that?
I forgot about Red Sprite long ago, seriously.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I forget about a lot of stuff too, however RS fandom was exceptionally annoying so it made an impression on me

like I completely forgot Demon's Plan was a ever thing until I saw EmDee's post

wew lad, that was not good, the thing that stood out the most about it was the first villain guy

"my gf died, better cut off her finger and shove it in my earlobe"

like, wtf? the mangaka actually tried to make it look dramatic and deep lol
 
Last edited:

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I really hope we just get some more exciting titles, I can't believe at one time there were so many big titles running in not only Jump but other mags. It's crazy how OP, Naruto, Bleach, FT, FMA, Soul Eater, HxH were all running at one time. Now we have titles like Dr. Stone to replace them.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I like the current line up a lot
I enjoy 13 out 20 title
don't like 6 out of 20
and I have no feelings towards Isobee

If Marie, SW#1 and Cross Account die the next round, then 3 out of the 6 I dislike are gone

that will just make the magazine even better

It's crazy how OP, Naruto, Bleach, FT, FMA, Soul Eater, HxH were all running at one time. Now we have titles like Dr. Stone to replace them.
well, OP, Naruto and HxH are still running
Soul Eater is about on the same level of quality as Enen no Shouboutai
FT is just stereotypical battle shonen with large cast about magic, just read The Seven Deadly Sins or Magi
FMA is the only irreplaceable thing your list, however it's a phenomenal piece of work that will stand out no matter what, that being said there are ongoing shonen that should scratch that FMA's itch like Birdmen, Fumetsu no Anata e, Neverland.. all are wonderful stories imo
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yeah Mammo I'm hip, I meant as in all these big titles are ending in the last 3 years. I do like MHA and HxH alot, even Dr. Stone is getting better. Neverland I haven't read in awhile but it's appealing to many. I try to stay open-minded but to be honest I don't read sports manga cause I watch alot of sports already and romances are not my first preference to read, so that cuts down some genres. I just wouldn't mind another good title in Jump, shit I wanted Demon's Plan to work out
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
while I want a new big battle manga in WSJ, I want something I can enjoy and to be honest there wasn't any battle manga that flopped recently that I felt sad it was gone UBS is about mma, so it's a sport manga

I wasn't too fond of Marie, U19, Demon's Plan, Amalgam, Red Sprite, Takuan and buttso, Roggy, Kagamigami, Yoakemono, Condor (i didn't hate it), Stealth Symphony (go away sharkbait), Hi-Fi Cluster (I said go away) Illegal Rare, Goblin Knight, Takamagahara, Hungry Joker, Barrage....

here's to hoping the future will bring us better stuff
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I'm with Mammo. Pretty much everything older than Spring Weapon deserves to be there and is good. Black Clover is iffy, but honestly most newer battle series have been so much worse somehow. Stone and Robo will probably develop fine despite poor starts, WNL has already lost it's steam and I don't care too much for it anymore, Marie and Cross Account will likely go, Shudan seems it'll be interesting. Everything else is at least better than average imo, with Soma declining at the fastest rate.

90+% of the cancel fodder has deserved it.

On a side note, read some HZ spoilers and can definitely see it ending next week with the colour page. Everything is resolved and perfectly set to end. Though it's already extended longer than we thought, so who knows.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I like the current line up a lot
I enjoy 13 out 20 title
don't like 6 out of 20
and I have no feelings towards Isobee

If Marie, SW#1 and Cross Account die the next round, then 3 out of the 6 I dislike are gone

that will just make the magazine even better



well, OP, Naruto and HxH are still running
Soul Eater is about on the same level of quality as Enen no Shouboutai
FT is just stereotypical battle shonen with large cast about magic, just read The Seven Deadly Sins or Magi
FMA is the only irreplaceable thing your list, however it's a phenomenal piece of work that will stand out no matter what, that being said there are ongoing shonen that should scratch that FMA's itch like Birdmen, Fumetsu no Anata e, Neverland.. all are wonderful stories imo
-> Attack on Titan!
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
When should we expect to see the tribute art for One Piece's 20th anniversary by various managakas?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
ESJ Jump Start works very well for me because it let me feed my curiosity for every single series and after three chapters if it doesn't satisfy my quality parameters I just don't look for new chapters, like I did with Hungry Marie, Shuudan and Cross Account recently. I could continue with Cross Account, but it hurts otaku's pride, so it will not be around much longer. Since I'm trying to avoid piracy whenever possible, I generally commit to buy the first volume, which add more carefulness to choose the right mangas. If ESJ picks it up I continue reading as long as it interests me. Even so, I generally don't have much patience to wait and see if the mess will be cleaned up, that's the reason I dropped Dr. Stone long ago.

Something interesting is that even though I have more opportunities to read Jump series more, I'm picking more series from other publishers and magazines more. There are series that I read one chapter and already love it, Jump series on the other hand, really take long to take off. People would assume that it would be the contrary since the pressure in Jump is obviously bigger, but...
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I wasn't too fond of Marie, U19, Demon's Plan, Amalgam, Red Sprite, Takuan and buttso, Roggy, Kagamigami, Yoakemono, Condor (i didn't hate it), Stealth Symphony (go away sharkbait), Hi-Fi Cluster (I said go away) Illegal Rare, Goblin Knight, Takamagahara, Hungry Joker, Barrage....
Hey man, I'm still sad about Stealth Symphony and Condor being cancelled. I'm hoping the SS mangaka returns because I really enjoyed his work, gave me Kekkai Sense vibes. His Animored oneshot was decent too.
Condor was rough around the edges, but it could have been really good if it was polished. The idea of thieves duking it out over treasures was awesome.

Edit: Wow, I should have done my research. I coulda sworn the writer for Stealth Symphony was the same as the one for Animored, but it turns out the latter was done by the artist of SS. Also turns out that the writer of SS is the guy who did Baccano and Durarara. The more you know I guess.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hey man, I'm still sad about Stealth Symphony and Condor being cancelled. I'm hoping the SS mangaka returns because I really enjoyed his work, gave me Kekkai Sense vibes. His Animored oneshot was decent too.
Condor was rough around the edges, but it could have been really good if it was polished. The idea of thieves duking it out over treasures was awesome.
Your post gave margin to doubt so I will ask to make sure. Are you not being ironic about Stealth Symphony?
You joined here in 2016, so you were not here when everything took place, but there is only one person who says that likes SS non-ironically in this forum.

What I miss in SS can be summarized in this picture. The rest can be thrown into a incinerator without any loss to the world. Paper printed with SS cannot be recycled, unfortunately.

 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey man, I'm still sad about Stealth Symphony and Condor being cancelled. I'm hoping the SS mangaka returns because I really enjoyed his work, gave me Kekkai Sense vibes. His Animored oneshot was decent too.
Condor was rough around the edges, but it could have been really good if it was polished. The idea of thieves duking it out over treasures was awesome.

Edit: Wow, I should have done my research. I coulda sworn the writer for Stealth Symphony was the same as the one for Animored, but it turns out the latter was done by the artist of SS. Also turns out that the writer of SS is the guy who did Baccano and Durarara. The more you know I guess.
The artist of SS is doing Ana no Mujina on Jump+, but that's been on hiatus for a while. He randomly did Animored in the middle of the hiatus, but as far as I know there's still nothing on when Mujina will come back.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I remember being super disappointed in Stealth Symphony. I'm a huge fan of Durarara and Baccano so hearing that he was going to be writing a Jump series was super exciting.

I didn't hate it... but I also barely remember most of it. I do remember being baffled by how bizarre it got when it was clear that it was going to be cancelled though.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Nah man, I'm being completely serious. I enjoyed it for what it was, and it's characters were intriguing. And the ending... Well, that was certainly something.
It really didn't feel like a WSJ manga though. Makes me wish it was serialized in another less strict magazine so that it could have possibly lasted longer.

Honestly I'm surprised that no one seems to question me liking Condor because that manga was generic as all hell.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top