Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
>new Saint Seiya remake
Oh cool, I haven't seen this yet. Would be a good way to check it out
>CG series
Welp. Manga it is then.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Key Visual - Will be a CG series.
Character designs by Terumi Nishii (JJBA P4: DiU Designs)

First season will cover from the Galaxy War arc up to the Silver Saint arc.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Whyyy CG fml. Still 2 remakes in 2-3 days in pretty cool.

Seems like the first season will only be 12 episodes.
 
Last edited:

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Makes me kinda glad I sold my volumes on eBay, they went for a crap ton despite being in terrible shape. If Viz reprints the series with the remake coming out, I'll rebuy them.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I was seeing people complaining about the CG and I looked for some signal of the studio on the image (didin't know the studio yet) and on the bottom I see "Toei Animation". Incredible the capacity of this studio to raise the ire of anime fans. XD
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Toei did a CG anime last season, and I thought it looked fine to be honest.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
I didn't want it but even I know how popular Saint Seiya was. Netflix is doing a remake for it? Count me in. I fell in love with Voltron's remake despite doubts and despite having its issues, Castlevania was pretty good at the end.

I'm not a old geezer, so I had to look for the date of this manga since I've heard of it just by name so far and it ended in 2000! 2000! TWO THOUSAND!
Like, I think everybody here that hopes that a given series receives anime will not lose their hopes after this. XD
It renewed my hope that Darker than Black will return, that's for sure
 

UnspokenCoconut

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Republic
Can we like stop with this anime studio discussion please? The discussions are going nowhere and we have too much wall of texts that makes my eyes hurt. /s
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
>new Saint Seiya remake
Oh cool, I haven't seen this yet. Would be a good way to check it out
>CG series
Welp. Manga it is then.
Toei's CG division is actually really good and given the poor treatment they've been giving Saint Seiya these past few years (Omega and Legend of Sanctuary) I'm not sure how much worse this remake can be.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Does 'Netflix Original' in this case mean it's an actual Netflix funded thing? Or is it just another series like Kakegurui/Seven Sins/etc where it's airing normally in Japan but Netflix is going to hold it hostage for months in the west, forcing everyone to pirate the show if they want to watch new episodes?
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I would like to not have to delete actual discussion, but please stop making posts that are literally longer than the rest of the page combined, at that point you may as well just use PMs.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Bigivelhq why do you love Toei so much? Ignore it's success/financial. Give me an unbiased opinion why you think they are great for WSJ titles.

Their animation is subpar, poor direction and lacks passion...

A lot of their WSJ adaptations are just bad.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I went searching for examples of Toei Animation to put here and see how he explains the atrocities. I found one thing more interesting than this though: an entire thread on Twitter from people outside of this thread (namely they don't have the "enlightenment" we have. :derp) trashing Toei. XD
See the answers for this tweet and have fun. XD
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Bigivelhq why do you love Toei so much? Ignore it's success/financial. Give me an unbiased opinion why you think they are great for WSJ titles.

Their animation is subpar, poor direction and lacks passion...

A lot of their WSJ adaptations are just bad.
I can also throw generalist derogatory adjectives and basically say that any opposition to what I'm saying is biased unless they make the extra mile of "convincing" me of the opposite.

This the basic way of restraining debate while starting and ending in a high ground.

I don't have to convincing you of anything, nor that I'm unbiased, just go with the easy answer of "their art is pretty good, good direction and a lot of passion".

I would say that given that you have my position plus the actual results of their studio both in Japan and overseas, that is you that have to explain in a none biased manner how they are so bad and how being so bad they are doing so good and for so long.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It is a good question and somewhat a mystery. There are many hypothesis that can be constructed to explain this.
Toei was once good, the original Dragon Ball I considered a good animation although it is very dragged in pace, that's why they did another anime after all.
Now, however, the animation is bad, I think I don't have explain why it is bad, right? I think Shueisha is also realizing this because it is putting their new success in more responsible hands recently, the market has changed and there is no way to do long series with low budget and therefore bad animation anymore.
From 2010 to now Toei has made more Precure than anything else, this is a series for another public, much younger that are not worried that much about animation as long as it sparkles. From 2010 to now we had Toriko, Dragon Ball and World Trigger and all of them suffer of complaints about animation.
In the end, there are many things involved in the business that we don't have knowledge about, I think Toei is earning more money with what they did in the past and what they are doing now. They were lucky to be chosen, a long time ago, to make series like Dragon Ball and One Piece, that makes more money than everything else combined.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I can also throw generalist derogatory adjectives and basically say that any opposition to what I'm saying is biased unless they make the extra mile of "convincing" me of the opposite.

This the basic way of restraining debate while starting and ending in a high ground.

I don't have to convincing you of anything, nor that I'm unbiased, just go with the easy answer of "their art is pretty good, good direction and a lot of passion".

I would say that given that you have my position plus the actual results of their studio both in Japan and overseas, that is you that have to explain in a none biased manner how they are so bad and how being so bad they are doing so good and for so long.
I'm not asking you to convince me. I'm curious why you see them as the best studio.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Toei is good when they are making One Piece movies, the director of the episode 95 of Dragon Ball Super was the same one of the OP Z Movie, that's why episode 95 ended so good.

When they are making television series, its terrible, imagine a Vagabond anime in their hands? it would be terrible, DB Super levels of quality.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
It is a good question and somewhat a mystery. There are many hypothesis that can be constructed to explain this.
Toei was once good, the original Dragon Ball I considered a good animation although it is very dragged in pace, that's why they did another anime after all.
Now, however, the animation is bad, I think I don't have explain why it is bad, right? I think Shueisha is also realizing this because it is putting their new success in more responsible hands recently, the market has changed and there is no way to do long series with low budget and therefore bad animation anymore.
From 2010 to now Toei has made more Precure than anything else, this is a series for another public, much younger that are not worried that much about animation as long as it sparkles. From 2010 to now we had Toriko, Dragon Ball and World Trigger and all of them suffer of complaints about animation.
In the end, there are many things involved in the business that we don't have knowledge about, I think Toei is earning more money with what they did in the past and what they are doing now. They were lucky to be chosen, a long time ago, to make series like Dragon Ball and One Piece, that makes more money than everything else combined.
But why on earth do Ihave to join a club of Toei haters, when I personally can say I like them even when others not? That´s the problem here. I wanna share my opinion and say "Kimetsu no Yaiba doesn´t deserve Madhouse, Bones or Production IG", not to be censor after saying this ´cause I have my opinion. Others here have their opinion here. It´s not a healthy discussion when I have to be in the same camp as others. "Oh don´t defend Toei, or you´re paid by them". sigh...
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
But why on earth do Ihave to join a club of Toei haters, when I personally can say I like them even when others not? That´s the problem here. I wanna share my opinion and say "Kimetsu no Yaiba doesn´t deserve Madhouse, Bones or Production IG", not to be censor after saying this ´cause I have my opinion. Others here have their opinion here. It´s not a healthy discussion when I have to be in the same camp as others. "Oh don´t defend Toei, or you´re paid by them". sigh...
Well, if you wanna share your opinion you need to back it up. How doesn't it deserve some of the best studios when it comes to animation and directing? What do you want out of the anime? Seasonal schedule and good visuals? Then if you say that Toei is the one able to do that then I'm sorry.
If you say you want the series to be a long running and be on par with, say, other Toei properties then I guess you do have a point, but World Trigger's case doesn't help you at all. Pierrot is better at that, since they're ten times better than Toei at that.

Kimetsu need a studio able to create a good atmosphere with good post-processing. I don't think Toei is the one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top