Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Why people defend toei? I mean you really have to be blind to not see how bad they are. Everything they touch die.They war good in the 60s but not now.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Guruguri chan expedition makes me think it could be an ecchi series; I'm going to assume it's a "monster hunting" plot with the girls outfit.
it's not about ecchi nor about monster hunting

it's about a girl who was sick when she was little so she couldn't leave the house, now that she's a healthy highschooler she goes exploring the town with her childhood friend

Black clover Tv anime characters design :
all the male characters do look good, all the female characters look good except their eyes
Noelle and Vanessa look like they could stab someone with their jaws
 

AllEyez

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
80
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Country
Mariejoa
We don't want people following our opinion, we just want a reason to like Toei besides "it is successful". We know that success doesn't meant quality most of the time, there are countless examples in manga world. You know that we are in a forum and forums are made to discuss things right? Not always we are trying to convince each other, we are just trying to understand the point of people who defend Toei. You guys are the ones with a defensive stance here as if we are offending somebody.
We have people in here calling Bigivel a Toei defender and such because he aint trashing Toei

And because he argues people who push narratives about Toei like the Toriko narrative.

Btw. I aint no toei fan. Idk why the hell u including me.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I almost forgot that "We Never Learn" has a bangaihen this week because it is not showing on the TOC. I hope ESJ publishes it next week or in the special issue for the break.

This week chapter was fantastic focusing in Takemoto and the cliffhanger in the end. Man, this series has been going better than I imagined at first.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
People who complain about Toei are doing it for their own selfish reasons. Almost all Shonen Jump titles Toei animates sees a substantial amount of success. Sure, you might not want to see something like Kimetsu no Yaiba get animated by Toei but maybe the author wants the exposure and money that comes with it.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
People not complaining about its success, they're complaining about quality. It's like the BC argument people engage on here: it's popular but doesn't mean it's good quality wise. It's always hard to subject these things, cause most of it are just opinions. Only facts is it is/was successful that people have acknowledged.

Also I'll give it to SP, these BC designs look good. I feel the opposite on the anime originals for MHA, the only one that looks interesting is the squid lol. I thought July's anime cycle was great but October/January are looking good. Lots of big titles being animated, hope it lives up to my expectations.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't know about the other people who are defending quality besides me, but I was thrashed many times in this forum for pursuing quality over anything. People seems to not understand the concept of quality and that success doesn't mean quality.
I do understand what was said about Kimetsu no Yaiba, you guys wants the exposure that comes with having an anime by Toei, I got it. Part of us however cares more about the quality of the animation than the overall success of the anime and, let's be honest, it should be the first worry of who's going to watch the anime, but anyway, and Toei proved many times that it can't do a good job animation-wise. We can debate here all week about this, but in the end we will see who has the best point of view when the anime comes out. One fact, though, is that the most successful animes from Jump series recently was non-Toei and all of them had a huge success with good reviews about the animation, which is the best outcome possible. A series doesn't need Toei exposure to make success, even more when it is coming from Jump so I think you guys should have a little more confidence that Kimetsu no Yaiba will make success, no matter who picks it.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Vanessa looks kinda off. The others are perfect.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Here are the illustrations and signatures from the cover:
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
5 years from now.

"Hard to believe OP is 25 now, it seems like just yesterday this picture was posted.."

"Who's that guy between Asta and Luffy?
"RIP Emma, I remember everyone used to think she was the MC..."
"My Hero Academia has been complete garbage since the timeskip."
"Holy crap, I forgot all about Saiki!. I need to rewatch that."
"Ugh, Why is Zumou still around, it barely hit 100k after the anime aired"
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
5 years from now.

"Hard to believe OP is 25 now, it seems like just yesterday this picture was posted.."

"Who's that guy between Asta and Luffy?
"RIP Emma, I remember everyone used to think she was the MC..."
"My Hero Academia has been complete garbage since the timeskip."
"Holy crap, I forgot all about Saiki!. I need to rewatch that."
"Ugh, Why is Zumou still around, it barely hit 100k after the anime aired"
You forgot "are they ever going to get off the boat?"
 

Shinji Hirako

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
133
Reaction score
196
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
5 years from now.

"Hard to believe OP is 25 now, it seems like just yesterday this picture was posted.."

"Who's that guy between Asta and Luffy?
"RIP Emma, I remember everyone used to think she was the MC..."
"My Hero Academia has been complete garbage since the timeskip."
"Holy crap, I forgot all about Saiki!. I need to rewatch that."
"Ugh, Why is Zumou still around, it barely hit 100k after the anime aired"
The typical "this manga has been garbage since the timeskip" claims which many shonen series fall victim to. I feel like for My Hero Academia to pass the test of becoming a true Jump great we need to see these accusations lol. I still don't think people have grasped the concept of how timeskips work: usually it acts to reset the story which is why people with unrealistic expectations and a lack of patience say x or y series is garbage after the timeskip.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
5 years from now.

"Hard to believe OP is 25 now, it seems like just yesterday this picture was posted.."

"Who's that guy between Asta and Luffy?
"RIP Emma, I remember everyone used to think she was the MC..."
"My Hero Academia has been complete garbage since the timeskip."
"Holy crap, I forgot all about Saiki!. I need to rewatch that."
"Ugh, Why is Zumou still around, it barely hit 100k after the anime aired"
You forgot "Spring Weapon and Black Clover selling over 1 million?
For how long did I sleep?"
And "WNL still on Jump?
Venerating Veterans did not work".
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Those female designs look kind of off. Vanessa's face just seems really sharp, and Noelle's face is more like "Unf, I want Noelle to step on me and call me trash :hearts". The male designs are good though. I completely forgot about that police hat dude, has he even done anything?

Here are the illustrations and signatures from the cover:
You think those mangaka that are pretty much going to be cancelled soon count themselves lucky for being able to participate in these special issues? Like those group cover pages, you can have fun counting all the series that got axed (usually the characters that are small and near the back).
—
Also, while we're making "predictions" on the state of Jump in five years, I realized that probably most of the series we see in that above picture will probably be dead. The only ones I can possibly see still being alive are One Piece, Hero Academia, and Hunter x Hunter. It's kinda sad.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I really hope football midgets does not get cancelled, I think it's a great manga, let's hope the climbing continues

You forgot "are they ever going to get off the boat?"
it is a nice boat
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
There are two parts on the problem.

1st - Your Radical position on the subject. Restricting any conversation of value. "If you so certain that the sky is red, and all your pals agree. It will be hard to explain and/or convince you that in fact due to chemist reaction, in fact it isn't red by blue"

2nd- The analysis is pretty limited. In a Multimedia and storytelling platform like animation, is pretty upsetting that what you define as good or bad is pretty shortsighted. You know anime is not made in a vacuum, or is not made just for your sole satisfaction. Storytelling main objective is its diffusion and getting experiences to its audience. A product, an piece of Art, a Story, an Anime is mainly done for others.
That you can't see the importance on how a series affect the populace in general and what types of experience it brings to them makes part of describing a series "quality", shows how little "analysis" is really placed on the subject.


From the problems many people have in critiquing and analyzing a series we have:
- Treating part as the all. (A specific scene or specific scene segments, defines the entire episode/arc/series/studio)
- Impressionable Animation is synonymous of Animation quality.
- Some aspects are valued so high, obviously wrong, that they basically make or break the analysis.
- Wrongly or not all taking in account the context of the series.
- Not understanding the subject matter. And so over valuing some techniques and under valuing others.

The defining of quality is a way more complex and interesting subject matter.
One major defining of anime and of every storytelling article and of any product, its raison d'etre basically, is ... the effect on people..
Because the effect on the audience and the "technical" characteristics of a series are related. Because while you can react off to something, nothing doesn't bring reaction. So is of interest to know about the wide reaction of viewers and by Retro-Engineering try to understand what brought that reaction.

A situation where supposedly One Piece Art, Pace and Animation is bad and/or Horrible. Is relevant that is still highly popular, and it brings good reactions from its audience. This is specially true for Toei Animation.
Instead of being incredulous, not understanding how this is possible and treating it like a singularity just happened. A true analyst/Critic knows there is a reason, and looks for it. And more important keeps an Open Mind.
Like I mentioned before, I wasn't asking you to convince me. It's not radical at all, I don't view their entire collection of animes as garbage, there's actually some that I like. If I said Toei is garbage, which I did, I was exaggerating. Anyways, I wanted to hear your opinion on why they're the best and what makes them so incredibly special without resorting to appeal to popularity fallacies like you always do.

Open minded, huh? LOL. Aren't you the same person who defends them no matter what and views them as the best studio? Likewise, a true critic won't be biased and won't let their biased views cloud their judgement. I can clearly say Toei has had great titles like Mononoke, Kyousou Giga, Kuuchu Buranko, some OP films, etc. At the same time, they had a lot of disappointing animes more so than great titles.

People who complain about Toei are doing it for their own selfish reasons. Almost all Shonen Jump titles Toei animates sees a substantial amount of success. Sure, you might not want to see something like Kimetsu no Yaiba get animated by Toei but maybe the author wants the exposure and money that comes with it.
Well let me be clear. I want it to be successful AND an adaptation that's faithful with great direction/talent backing it. An adaptation that's faithful with great talent/directing backing it will usually do well.

I want the anime to be similar to say....JoJo, Haikyuu!!, Boku No Hero, etc. These titles are successful but also handles the source material WELL. If there's a big manga moment that you really loved, you can be sure that the staff will handle it well in the examples I provided. Also, what makes you think Toei is the only option for the amount of exposure/money? I'm pretty sure Gotouge sensei not only wants an adaptation that's successful but also faithful with a talented/passionate team supporting it. That's what builds a strong community/fanbase.

I'm done with this Toei related convo. I just wanted to put in my final thoughts and clear some misunderstandings.
 
Last edited:

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I don't know about the other people who are defending quality besides me, but I was thrashed many times in this forum for pursuing quality over anything. People seems to not understand the concept of quality and that success doesn't mean quality.
I do understand what was said about Kimetsu no Yaiba, you guys wants the exposure that comes with having an anime by Toei, I got it. Part of us however cares more about the quality of the animation than the overall success of the anime and, let's be honest, it should be the first worry of who's going to watch the anime, but anyway, and Toei proved many times that it can't do a good job animation-wise. We can debate here all week about this, but in the end we will see who has the best point of view when the anime comes out. One fact, though, is that the most successful animes from Jump series recently was non-Toei and all of them had a huge success with good reviews about the animation, which is the best outcome possible. A series doesn't need Toei exposure to make success, even more when it is coming from Jump so I think you guys should have a little more confidence that Kimetsu no Yaiba will make success, no matter who picks it.
Well, I sure don´t want Toei or Pierrot doing Kimetsu. But a series that needs more substance to be more than "just another shonen action series" IMO doesn´t need Bones, Madhouse, Production IG or Wit Studio. Shonen series these days are too busy folowwing the footsteps of the Big 3 and Dragon Ball, and unless they do better storytelling than that, none of the big studios should touch them. Sword Art Online is all style no substance, so I don´t want Black Clover or Kimetsu to be defined by that.

Also, prepare to be "scared" because My Hero Academia will feature an anime original episode. Im my opinion, this one comes too late, there were a lot of chances to put anime original material on the Sports Festival Arc, and extending the screentime of a few manga panels it´s not the same for me, nor is it enough creative liberty. I don´t want My Hero to stick completely to the manga content, given that they haven´t bothered to give more screentime to some of the supporting characters. And no, the pacing shouldn´t matter in an anime adaptation, so don´t put the claim of "but muh pacing!!!!!!!". Well, at least this episode at elast seems to be interesting, I hope there are more anime original episodes this season. Or the next ones.

 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Can't have it both ways, you wanted anime original content and you got it. It being too late shouldn't matter if this is what you've been complaining over with Bones. I'm more surprised we got a filler episode but I'm good with it as long as we get some extensions in the actual exam vs. the teachers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top