Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have a feeling that Dragon Ball survives out from nostalgia because, let's be honest, the more they milk, worse the products become, but it still sells. I was never a really big fan of Dragon Ball and I was never interested in old series and I don't care at all about the new anime so it is probably nostalgia...
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I enjoy DBS simply because I enjoy it. I just think it's a fun experience. I don't go in expecting it to be a future classic that will be just as good as the original series. I just like DB and enjoy seeing more DB content.

Don't get why ppl are trying to wrap their heads around why DBS is successful and why fans like it.
If we got something that was total crap than DBS wouldn't be successful, so it's more than just nostalgia.
it obviously meets the standards for new DB fans and old DB fans to enjoy a new DB franchise
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I dont necessarily think its nostalgia thats the reason behind Super’s relative success. Its really just more the same of what Z gave us, and people are happy with that (why wouldnt they be?). Its not like any of the issues Super suffers from weren’t present in the original. There are no reasons for the majority of fans not to like it. DBs main attraction is its crazy fights, powerups, quirky villains and cast, all of which are present in super.

DB is an absolute classic and was incredible in it’s time, but the series was never any more than average in regards to writing. Z literally repeats the exact plot progression every single arc. If anything, Super has done a better job than it in that regard. DB just hit all the right notes it had to to resonate with readers, and Super seems to be following in its footsteps. Its pretty acceptable as a sequel in my eyes and much much better than what I was expecting (which was just a copout cashgrap like good mate Boruto has become).

I do however, think they should have just made all the arcs as movies though. 1 for the Universe 6 arc, 1 for Black Goku, 2 for the current arc. Considering Battle of Gods and Golden freeza were 2 of the 30 best grossing anime movies ever, and following the trend, any future movies probably would have done even better, I seriously wonder if making a tv broadcasted series was be more profitable. Though I guess it is or they wouldnt have done it.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Super is much better than Boruto, both in the manga and anime. Super's biggest problem is power scaling. How SSJ2 Trunks, who destroyed the entire Frieza squad, got destroyed by Black w/ no transformation... but SSJ Vegeta then destroyed SSJ Black with no effort I will never understand. I try not to look deep into it cause it can hurt the enjoyment. The Gods and new characters have been great though.

Boruto has power scaling issues along with story issues; you now have some retcons beginning to pop up. The cast of characters are better than Naruto's cast but that's really not supposed to be a compliment, same w/ the villains which is to be expected. The new gen have at least 2-3 of them that are just fanfic ocs of their parents. The new Team 7 is better than the previous Team 7 simply because there's no cringey SASUKE-KUN every 10 seconds and nobody is edgy. They're all actually friends. Too op but it's whatever, like some of the new techniques they use. If they didn't tease Naruto's "death" in the first episode it wouldn't be anything to look forward to.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
MFW Oda proclaims he's going to jump on the imouto bandwagon.... Don't know if serious or trolling... :notsure
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
FullDrive was really good. I hope it survives because it has really high potential. Chapter 1 was incredible solid and moving.

I love the short underestimated protag with untapped and incredible potential. Dan is going to be the new and welcome addition to the incredible core of sports manga in Shonen Jump
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I really enjoyed Full Drive. It started off okay at the beginning, but I started to really like the interactions between Dan and Marin once he had started practicing. The match was incredibly fun to read due to how energetic the art was. If the next few chapters keep up the same quality, then I can't hope enough that this survives.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Full Drive was ok, kinda typical stuff. I kinda overrated the art looking at marumaru scans too for some reason, it was good, but rally sequences looked decent.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Fulldrive kind of reminded me of Food Wars with a mix of other manga. I enjoyed it though and i look forward to reading it. I'm hoping Golem Hearts will be even better
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Tomato Poodle chapters are 5 pages long and 7 pages long

so even tho it publish 2 chapters per week it have less pages than any other manga in the magazine
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
"I wish I could show this week's issue to my high school self"
Ono is Horikoshi's son.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Tomato Poodle chapters are 5 pages long and 7 pages long

so even tho it publish 2 chapters per week it have less pages than any other manga in the magazine
Is it going to be publishing 2 chapters for the foreseeable future, or is this just another one of those give the new series double releases situations?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
judging by how it was dead last in the magazine
it's the new Isobee so it looks like we are getting 2 chapters for now
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Super is much better than Boruto, both in the manga and anime. Super's biggest problem is power scaling. How SSJ2 Trunks, who destroyed the entire Frieza squad, got destroyed by Black w/ no transformation... but SSJ Vegeta then destroyed SSJ Black with no effort I will never understand. I try not to look deep into it cause it can hurt the enjoyment. The Gods and new characters have been great though.

Boruto has power scaling issues along with story issues; you now have some retcons beginning to pop up. The cast of characters are better than Naruto's cast but that's really not supposed to be a compliment, same w/ the villains which is to be expected. The new gen have at least 2-3 of them that are just fanfic ocs of their parents. The new Team 7 is better than the previous Team 7 simply because there's no cringey SASUKE-KUN every 10 seconds and nobody is edgy. They're all actually friends. Too op but it's whatever, like some of the new techniques they use. If they didn't tease Naruto's "death" in the first episode it wouldn't be anything to look forward to.
They both have their problems. My issue with Super is that a lot of it is just more of the same. At least GT tried to be somewhat different even if the execution wasn't good. Super just retreads the same ground and formulas. It was fine when it was just movies. I can understand people liking it what it is, but it's just not for me anymore.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MFW Oda proclaims he's going to jump on the imouto bandwagon.... Don't know if serious or trolling... :notsure
Little sisters in One Piece! Let's go Oda, let's show to these novices how it is done! XD
He is already going well with Pudim as tsundere. :P
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
They both have their problems. My issue with Super is that a lot of it is just more of the same. At least GT tried to be somewhat different even if the execution wasn't good. Super just retreads the same ground and formulas. It was fine when it was just movies. I can understand people liking it what it is, but it's just not for me anymore.
Yeah I feel where you're coming from, but for whatever reason I never got mad at DBZ repeating the plot while this issue is why I dropped One Piece. Guess it's cause I've never noticed it due to the diverse characters that were introduced every arc and location never really feeling the same. I liked GT despite popular opinion but the villains were jokes besides a few. I'd say DBZ > DB > Super > GT in order of enjoyment.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dragonball Super could be better in many ways. Gohan is still a joke and needs less screentime, Trunks and Goten still get so much less screentime than they deserve, they are vital characters. Goku has like no character development. Its been like 5 million episodes and he is still really dumb whereas other folks like Vegeta have gone from uncaring prince overlord to admirable father figure who doesnt let anyone hurt his wife and son, also too many dumb comedy episodes in intense arcs (Ive only seen up to the current episode on Toonami which is the fight against Hitto). Cabba also needs to come back again one of the few things Super has done right and again another moment highlighting how well Vegeta has had character development.

Boruto on the other hand is perfect.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Despite all her dialogue being muffled demon noises, Nezuko is the most charmingly sincere heroine in the magazine by far.

I haven't noticed how it happened but Gotouge has made it into the top three in my heart.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hinomaru latest chapter began hyping Ushio vs Yokozona fight


I think this second part will be shorter than Uratarou part 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top