Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I did see speculation that Shoodan might move to a different place, but no one ever clarified where they got that idea from and Cross Account really doesn't seem to have those many chances of survival either.
I think it just came from the weird treatment the series has had despite being at the bottom of the rankings. You don't see Cross Account, or really any series that's been ranking in the bottom consistently getting a CP 20 chapters in hyping up the end of an arc. It's first volume has done considerably worse than CA's too. It's a fair assumption, and we already know Yokota gets some slight special treatment anyway.

Guessing Gintama has like 10-15 chapters left given we know when the anime will start this arc. That just about coincides with a new serial round, so my bet would be on it, Cross Account, and Shudan all leaving. Spring Weapon still sitting back laughing as other series drop like flies. That said, Full Drive/GH could also be massive flops that end up cancelled before the other two as well. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if that happened with Full Drive, can't see it getting a favourable ranking, it's just been annoying so far. GH's first few chapters have been pretty slow paced, so it might not do much better, though slower paced series seem to be doing better than faster paced ones recently. It at least has more potential in the long run.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Golem Hearts so far mostly seems to be gathering the kind of fans who really want it to be good, essentially liking it because it has potential and might become really good later rather than particularly enjoying the series itself so far.
This. It's at least been better executed than those two, but still hasn't really done a whole lot to prove it'll be good.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No one knows well shoodan sold digitally though...it could have sold incredibly better than its contemporaries
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I think it just came from the weird treatment the series has had despite being at the bottom of the rankings. You don't see Cross Account, or really any series that's been ranking in the bottom consistently getting a CP 20 chapters in hyping up the end of an arc. It's first volume has done considerably worse than CA's too. It's a fair assumption, and we already know Yokota gets some slight special treatment anyway.

Guessing Gintama has like 10-15 chapters left given we know when the anime will start this arc. That just about coincides with a new serial round, so my bet would be on it, Cross Account, and Shudan all leaving. Spring Weapon still sitting back laughing as other series drop like flies. That said, Full Drive/GH could also be massive flops that end up cancelled before the other two as well. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if that happened with Full Drive, can't see it getting a favourable ranking, it's just been annoying so far. GH's first few chapters have been pretty slow paced, so it might not do much better, though slower paced series seem to be doing better than faster paced ones recently. It at least has more potential in the long run.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

This. It's at least been better executed than those two, but still hasn't really done a whole lot to prove it'll be good.
Thanks for the insightful post. I'm definitely far away from Gintama, but it really does seem like the end is truly coming because of the recent anime announcement. Yeah, maybe Shoodan will get some kind of special treatment, either it stays in WSJ regardless or it maybe gets moved somewhere else more appropriate. Maybe Cross Account will also get moved online or something, but I doubt it, it just seems like it will get axed. I also don't see Full Drive sticking around for much longer and maybe they'll let GH survive more because they clearly still desperately want more battle shounens.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Cross Account's situation reminds me iShoujo's. Maybe it'll be moved to Jump+ or something like that.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
If Golem Hearts works on its Gash Bell impression more, it could turn into something half decent. It's unremarkable and by the books, but there is some tiny spark of individuality somewhere deep inside it unlike something completely barren of creativity like Black Clover or Demon's Plan.

Spring Weapon is an anomaly at this point or something, it really seems like it should end already.
It got Samon's mojo and made it its own, simple as that.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
It got Samon's mojo and made it its own, simple as that.
But from what I can remember, Samon was doing better in terms of sales at least, about 27-30k from what I can remember. Spring Weapon sells like what, barely 10k? Can't really say it has much better rankings either.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
But from what I can remember, Samon was doing better in terms of sales at least, about 27-30k from what I can remember. Spring Weapon sells like what, barely 10k? Can't really say it has much better rankings either.
Yet, it's still there which proves that robots are stronger than dark magics.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Personally, I still very much enjoy Golem Hearts-
But mostly for the same reasons I've enjoyed the first chapter, so I didnt see a reason repeating again and again how much I like Noah as an charming protagonist, his adorable relationship with his father, who is also a funny fellow.
It's just a likeable manga, but nothing new or special. I hope that it will suvive, but I won't be surprised if it only shot-lived(but probably a little sad then).
I also don't mind that we got a dark haired rival established, bc he wasnt the centre attention in this chapter. Just a talented boy, whose grandfather is someone important, while he seems to become an arrogant prick, which I enjoy in a rival, bc, you know, a rival. A little exposition, there, a little characterization here. Things I dont mind and enjoy. I also like the name Erebus, the greek deity of darkness.
I also like how he "inspired" Noah how to do the task with the coins, without yelling it. Just the little things I do enjoy about this.

Like I've said-
I do enjoy Golem Hearts very much, for its charming characters and humor. And because it took its time to establish the relationship of Noah and Lamech. That's why I also dont mind people not liking it now.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Personally, I still very much enjoy Golem Hearts-
But mostly for the same reasons I've enjoyed the first chapter, so I didnt see a reason repeating again and again how much I like Noah as an charming protagonist, his adorable relationship with his father, who is also a funny fellow.
It's just a likeable manga, but nothing new or special. I hope that it will suvive, but I won't be surprised if it only shot-lived(but probably a little sad then).
I also don't mind that we got a dark haired rival established, bc he wasnt the centre attention in this chapter. Just a talented boy, whose grandfather is someone important, while he seems to become an arrogant prick, which I enjoy in a rival, bc, you know, a rival. A little exposition, there, a little characterization here. Things I dont mind and enjoy. I also like the name Erebus, the greek deity of darkness.
I also like how he "inspired" Noah how to do the task with the coins, without yelling it. Just the little things I do enjoy about this.

Like I've said-
I do enjoy Golem Hearts very much, for its charming characters and humor. And because it took its time to establish the relationship of Noah and Lamech. That's why I also dont mind people not liking it now.
I agree pretty much, I think he made a good decision with them first 3 chapters because they're relationship was pretty sweet. I'm also glad he didn't die
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
And because it took its time to establish the relationship of Noah and Lamech.
This relationship is certainly its strongest part for now. Lamech is charming enough for a parent figure, but his role in the narrative wasn't presented that well: one chapter he dies, the other he lives but is left behind. Now the drama's weight has been diminished, and the character is out of the story. Osuka couldn't decide between keeping and eating his cake, so he smashed it with his face instead.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I think the edgy rival kid was fine honestly. It's to be expected that he is going to be compared to Sasuke. The good thing about it though is that the edgy kid's master is some wacky dude who's personality really clashes with his. It could have really been worse.
>instead of this goofy ass master, it could have been some pompous asshat who mocks Noah for making trash golems
>Eir would have gotten annoyed that this guy and his student outclassed her so she pushes Noah to do better
>Noah's motivation shifts from simply being amazed by Erebus to wanting revenge

I just hope that Erebus isn't edgy just for the sake of it and has a reason for it, or even warms up a bit. I'm liking these new characters, and it's great that we're getting some more next week. Looking forward to it
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I like how dude made Eir an unordinary genius too. A tomboy, doesn’t take much people’s shit but Lamech said she’s won’t leave anyone hanging out to dry so she has a soft side. Bakugo is the same, an unusual genius who rages but he’s a hero who won’t leave someone to die, which might be why I think Bakugo is MHA’s best character from a character standpoint.

I’m fine w/ the story and characters progression. For comparison of progression I read a good critique on Noelle from BC recently regarding her family divide. It’s pathetic how trash her own brother and sister are and how they find her to be, making it a good basis for her having trouble controlling her powers, but she made a 180 in one episode when she went from treating the Black Bulls like as bottom tier trash to now thanking Asta and Magma for accepting her. She came around quick so her resolution doesn’t impact you the way it should.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I immediately thought of Shouto lol
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
What would get canceled before it though, Spring Weapon?
Probably not. At the very least, Spring Weapon will last a few issues beyond whenever the results of its popularity poll are published. I've seen people commenting that Gintama may have 10-15 chapters left, but since I haven't read the series, I'm not sure on that myself.

Spring Weapon basically filled in Samon's spot of the underdog gag underperformer that performs just enough to escape getting axed in favor of brand new failing series or old veterans conveniently coming to an end. I personally liked Samon and the limited amount of Spring Weapon I've read was alright, but I can't argue that both series were treated incredibly generously by WSJ.
I think Shoodan, Gintama, Cross Account and maybe Spring Weapon are the candidates to end next
I definitely agree with this. Unless Full Drive or Golem Hearts volume 1 flops so terribly that it cannot be ignored, it will probably be one of these. I don't follow Shoodan, but from my understanding, the editors seem to like it despite very poor volume sales, worse than Cross Account.
I think it just came from the weird treatment the series has had despite being at the bottom of the rankings. You don't see Cross Account, or really any series that's been ranking in the bottom consistently getting a CP 20 chapters in hyping up the end of an arc. It's first volume has done considerably worse than CA's too. It's a fair assumption, and we already know Yokota gets some slight special treatment anyway.
Didn't Cross Account's first volume need a reprint? It's in an odd position in WSJ. It definitely can't compete with most of the titles currently running in terms of popularity, but I wouldn't outright call Cross Account bad. If they only end 1 series, I'll be interested to see whether Shoodan or Cross Account gets cut first.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Probably not. At the very least, Spring Weapon will last a few issues beyond whenever the results of its popularity poll are published. I've seen people commenting that Gintama may have 10-15 chapters left, but since I haven't read the series, I'm not sure on that myself.

Spring Weapon basically filled in Samon's spot of the underdog gag underperformer that performs just enough to escape getting axed in favor of brand new failing series or old veterans conveniently coming to an end. I personally liked Samon and the limited amount of Spring Weapon I've read was alright, but I can't argue that both series were treated incredibly generously by WSJ.

I definitely agree with this. Unless Full Drive or Golem Hearts volume 1 flops so terribly that it cannot be ignored, it will probably be one of these. I don't follow Shoodan, but from my understanding, the editors seem to like it despite very poor volume sales, worse than Cross Account.

Didn't Cross Account's first volume need a reprint? It's in an odd position in WSJ. It definitely can't compete with most of the titles currently running in terms of popularity, but I wouldn't outright call Cross Account bad. If they only end 1 series, I'll be interested to see whether Shoodan or Cross Account gets cut first.
Well the thing about Gintama is, if the anime is entering the final manga arc in January 2018, that means there can only be so much content left to release in manga format, it will end soon, because the anime will catch up. Yeah, you do have a point regarding the Spring Weapon popularity poll, if the manga ends, it will have to be after that gets released.

I do remember Cross Account getting a reprint, but it might not mean that much.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Perhaps Spring Weapon will end with it's popularity poll results, as a celebratory last colour page of sorts. I feel like with how ridiculously favoured by editors it's been, it'll end up getting the cover and lead colour for its finale even if it's a cancellation.

Surely at this point even the higher ups who love it so much must be finding it hard to justify its continuation, it sells worse than the instant flops, has had zero growth whatsoever since it started, and it hasn't left the bottom 5 for months other than colour pages.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
I still don't understand how Spring Weapon could survive for 1 year with below 10k sales and constant bottom rankings. I thought it would be the new Isobee, but tomato poodle took it's place so I don't know anymore.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Perhaps Spring Weapon will end with it's popularity poll results, as a celebratory last colour page of sorts. I feel like with how ridiculously favoured by editors it's been, it'll end up getting the cover and lead colour for its finale even if it's a cancellation.

Surely at this point even the higher ups who love it so much must be finding it hard to justify its continuation, it sells worse than the instant flops, has had zero growth whatsoever since it started, and it hasn't left the bottom 5 for months other than colour pages.
Yeah, it's quite weird how it's still alive. Inb4 they move it to Jump+ to keep it alive.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I still don't understand how Spring Weapon could survive for 1 year with below 10k sales and constant bottom rankings. I thought it would be the new Isobee, but tomato poodle took it's place so I don't know anymore.
Yeah, that's why I called it an anomaly, it is one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top