Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wouldn't of thought Watsuki was that kind of guy, Holy shit I wonder how the public will deal with this?
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
What other Jump+ series have a well-known creator behind them?
There's Food Fighter Tabelu by Kyousuke Usata, who did Sexy Commando Gaiden and Pyuu to Fuku Jaguar. Although, I'm not sure if he's well known in the West. There's also Astra Lost in Space by Kenta Shinohara, but they already picked that up.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Speaking of Astra it might not have too long left either, I'm not caught up on the Eldlive raws but I wonder if there's a chance we could see both those and Zodiac end around the same time. DBS and MHA Illegals are both fun but I like having original series to read as well.

Hopefully Astra just nearing the end of part 1, space exploration stuff is so rare in manga.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Oda can't help him out of this one. What's worse is that this has pretty much tarnish the Rurouni Kenshin brand for the foreseeable future and Jump is more than likely going to ignore it for any special events like Seikimatsu.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Shimabukuro was charged with violating child prostitution laws which was settled out of court and never made public eye, he was allowed to end Sekimatsu in Super Jump once the charges had been settled and immediately started working on Toriko. This case with Watsuki has already broken public eye and child porn is a much serious offense especially given the current state Japan is in so even after he either pays the fine or serves time in prison his already dead career as a mangaka is over and Kenshin will never be held in the same regard ever again.
Yeah there's no doubt about that. Even if you go to amazon reviews, most of Takeshi's volumes are poorly rated solely on the fact of Shimabu's scandal. It destroyed his chances of getting an anime.

I thought it made the public eye with Shimabu's case & he got arrested (?). I dont think Oda helped Shimabu as people say since he was able to write RING before Toriko and ofc finish Takeshi
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah there's no doubt about that. Even if you go to amazon reviews, most of Takeshi's volumes are poorly rated solely on the fact of Shimabu's scandal. It destroyed his chances of getting an anime.

I thought it made the public eye with Shimabu's case & he got arrested (?). I dont think Oda helped Shimabu as people say since he was able to write RING before Toriko and ofc finish Takeshi
He got arrested but it didn't hit the same way Watsuki CP scandal has. Basically if it was still on people's memories there's no way in hell Toriko would have been pushed as much.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So, I have to ask. I'm not trying to defend Shima, but something I've always wondered. Did Shima just try to hire a prostitute and then she just happened to be underaged, or was he specifically looking for an underaged prostitute? Also, did he actually sleep with said prostitute?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So, I have to ask. I'm not trying to defend Shima, but something I've always wondered. Did Shima just try to hire a prostitute and then she just happened to be underaged, or was he specifically looking for an underaged prostitute? Also, did he actually sleep with said prostitute?
Japan has a service called enjo kosai in which people can ask for an evening companion for company or sexual favors for the evening. Shima was caught with someone who was underaged as a client.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
From what I've seen, she apparently said she wasn't underage. Then again, that's just what he claimed, only he really knows the answer.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
From what I've seen, she apparently said she wasn't underage. Then again, that's just what he claimed, only he really knows the answer.
I hope that's the case that it was an honest mistake and it was the company who should be responsible for hiring an underage client but given this case with Watsuki came out of nowhere you just never know. Given how Japan tends to joke about pedophilia as a commonplace thing its always unsurprising when someone eventually comes out.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Japan has a service called enjo kosai in which people can ask for an evening companion for company or sexual favors for the evening. Shima was caught with someone who was underaged as a client.
Did he specifically ask for an underaged prostitute? Also, shouldn't that service get in trouble for employing someone underaged?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
From what I've seen, she apparently said she wasn't underage. Then again, that's just what he claimed, only he really knows the answer.
See, if that's actually true, I feel like he shouldn't have been punished.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Did he specifically ask for an underaged prostitute? Also, shouldn't that service get in trouble for employing someone underaged?
That's the thing we don't exactly know if that's the case or not. I'm veering to no just because everything was settled out of court by paying a fine and instead of being fired from Shueisha he just had to end Takeshi prematurely in Super Jump and was able to start a brand new series in WSJ immediately afterwards if he was trying to hook up with an underage prostitute that would be harder to defend.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's the thing we don't exactly know if that's the case or not. I'm veering to no just because everything was settled out of court by paying a fine and instead of being fired from Shueisha he just had to end Takeshi prematurely in Super Jump and was able to start a brand new series in WSJ immediately afterwards if he was trying to hook up with an underage prostitute that would be harder to defend.
Plus, I'd like to think Oda wouldn't be friends with a pedophile.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Did he specifically ask for an underaged prostitute? Also, shouldn't that service get in trouble for employing someone underaged?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
See, if that's actually true, I feel like he shouldn't have been punished.
It was a dating app so my assumption was that he was looking for a relationship. He's married now so I think we should end this discussion.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
his already dead career as a mangaka is over and Kenshin will never be held in the same regard ever again.
He could come back under some pen name and hope no one knows.

Though I imagine, people will be like me and not even touch anything he does even if he does come back.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
How long until the next round of serializations?
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He could come back under some pen name and hope no one knows.

Though I imagine, people will be like me and not even touch anything he does even if he does come back.
He could but who would hire him? And his art is fairly recognizable as well. The guy just went back to Kenshin too and now its shelved indefinitely.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Why is the TOC out today, is there a holiday and we should expect a chapter a day earlier?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why is the TOC out today, is there a holiday and we should expect a chapter a day earlier?
Thursday is a holiday in japan, Labour Day, thats probably why its out so early. May mean early chapters also it's doubtful but its possible since I'm not sure if WSJ considers that a time away from work day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top