Now I remember, it was a picture of a chart from a magazine.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I hope next year at least one or two new upcoming/rookie authors manage to find success in the magazine. Dr. Stone is from two very experienced mangaka, one of them already had a hit series in WSJ. Bokuben is from an author that quite a few serializations, in different magazines, then did the Nisekoi spin-off in Jump plus and now has managed to get into WSJ and Robo is from an author that had a hit manga in WSJ not too long ago.
Let's look at this year's failed series and think about what they did wrong, feel free to share your own thoughts, in-depth or not:
I'm no mangaka and I know it's incredibly difficult to be one, so I respect all of these people for trying and I hope they all learn from their failures and find success in the future if they can.
For pretty much all of these I only read the first chapter or first few chapters, so this is quite literally what my first impressions are, I don't like to seriously start reading new WSJ manga as they start out because they are at a huge risk of getting axed and I like to wait until there is some stability before I really start reading something from WSJ.
U19 - I only read a bit of it, but I immediately lost interest because it felt too amateurish and maybe too a bit too edgy for me.
Demon Prince Poro’s Diaries - I couldn't finish the first chapter because I was really bored, the art was cute, the comedy didn't do much for me and the manga had an identity crisis from a quick glance, was it trying to be an action or a comedy or a school series or a slice of life or all of them? One huge red flag I remember was seeing a direct homage to other legendary manga from the magazine right at the start, which seemed like a cheap way to try to get some attention from fans of those manga.
Hungry Marie - I remember this one also bored me a lot, I think the second or third chapter was more interesting, but then I got bored again. This series, like Poro, had an identity crisis, I feel like the manga didn't know what it wanted to be and that led to its demise, it over-complicated itself to the point were things were tedious.Comedy also didn't do much for me.
Cross Account - This one I instantly dropped as it started off with a locker room of girls changing and the mc walked in over them. That was enough for me to know that there would be nothing more to this manga if this is the statement the mangaka made when he started things off. A cheap fanservice attention grab in the first 2-3 pages is too much.
Shoodan - I really liked this one, but the mangaka probably should've seriously picked a different magazine. When was the last time a soccer manga managed to survive in WSJ? Like over 15 years ago?
Full Drive - I remember I got kind of excited for it for whatever reason. It's just too amateurish in every way and the author seems to be struggling with keeping up.
Golem Hearts - It wasn't interesting enough? Idk, I can't pinpoint what the reason is, but this simply failed to grab my attention.
U19’s problem was that it took its silly plot too serious. It should have set out to be really goofy and silly, with action mixed in.
Poro could have been successful if the plot was switch around imo. Instead of Poro leaving the Demon world and going to a Japanese High School. And Japanese High School student should have left Japan to attend a demon high school(maybe he dies). The designs were great, and I felt like the author got most creative with his Demon designs and Demon settings.
Hungry Marie was just sorta boring. The synopsis doesn’t really pique any interest, and a little too “out there”
Didn’t even bother with Cross Account.
I actually loved what I read from Shudan. Wish the axe wasn’t on the way.
Golem Hearts is fun, but feels a bit empty at the same time
Poro could have been successful if the plot was switch around imo. Instead of Poro leaving the Demon world and going to a Japanese High School. And Japanese High School student should have left Japan to attend a demon high school(maybe he dies). The designs were great, and I felt like the author got most creative with his Demon designs and Demon settings.
If that concept interests you, you should try reading Mairimashita! Iruma-kun in Weekly Shonen Champion. The artwork starts out a little rough, but it improves as you go on. I have really liked it a lot so far, but Poro felt dull to me in comparison.
I'm not sure what magazine in specific Shudan should've went to instead of WSJ, but I agree that this was just a bad fit magazine-wise and not for the plot.
If that concept interests you, you should try reading Mairimashita! Iruma-kun in Weekly Shonen Champion. The artwork starts out a little rough, but it improves as you go on. I have really liked it a lot so far, but Poro felt dull to me in comparison.
I'm not sure what magazine in specific Shudan should've went to instead of WSJ, but I agree that this was just a bad fit magazine-wise and not for the plot.
There was the magazine that had the manga for Inazuma Eleven and the Pokemon adventures manga, but I think it ceased publication a year ago or this year. Iruma-kun is great fun, I've been reading it.
There was the magazine that had the manga for Inazuma Eleven and the Pokemon adventures manga, but I think it ceased publication a year ago or this year. Iruma-kun is great fun, I've been reading it.
Toriko suffers from the Comparison Syndrome. It sold 300k per volume, which is very good, but since Bleach and Naruto sold more, 300k = mediocrity. Boku no Hero suffers something similar, sells 500k per volume, but since AssClass and Haikyuu sell more, 500k = flop. Being one of the "big heads" of the cover is not easy.
Meanwhile Hinomaru Zumou strives to reach the 100k.
Toriko suffers from the Comparison Syndrome. It sold 300k per volume, which is very good, but since Bleach and Naruto sold more, 300k = mediocrity. Boku no Hero suffers something similar, sells 500k per volume, but since AssClass and Haikyuu sell more, 500k = flop. Being one of the "big heads" of the cover is not easy.
People only see toriko as failure is because of the vague foggy murku intangible definition of their perception that it was pushed so much that it should be at one piece level.
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.