Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Uh oh.... the shippers are gonna have a field day with this
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
MV for Muhyo and Rouji OP
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Partial translation made by one guy in 4chan about Oda and Horikoshi interview in Hero Academia volume 0. Thought to put this in Hero Academia subforum, but since it also involves One Piece, I'll leave it here for now.

Editor's Note: It's the man worshipped by Kōhei Horikoshi, Eiichirō Oda. And the boy who, after 16 years, walks side by side with Oda as a Mangaka. What's about to happen now!?

Q - The questioner
O - Oda
H - Horikoshi

>Q: In the 23rd volume (of One Piece), Horikoshi Sensei had a fanart displayed! How do you feel about that Oda Sensei.
>O: It was a good volume. The end of Alabasta was in there I believe. Fitting, the last chapter handles the mark of their eternal friendship.
>H: Man I was so shocked.
>Q: Shocked?
>H: Came home from high school with the volume, so I turned the page and there was it, my drawing. I shouted "Mom!!!" with all my might and showed it to her.
>O: Heh, you seem to have a good relationship with your family. (Laughs)
>Q: So how many fanarts did you send back then.
>H: Just this one.
>Q: And why?
>H: My friend loved One Piece, so we decided together to try getting into a volume. In the end only my drawing was included. I also got a reply postcard from Oda, did you really write it?
>O: Yes, but I did it from Usopp's prespective.
>H: ...I'm still grateful.

>Q: I heard Horikoshi Sensei told Oda Sensei that this is it back in 2015. Is that true?
>O: He had others comics before BnHA in Jump, but yes that happened at the New Year's Party. Looks like he didn't reveal his identity to me before he was sure his work would be a masterpiece?
Q: How has One Piece influenced you?
>H: Well I enjoyed the Arlong chapters the most. After reading it, I understood that I wanted my Main Characters to be just like Luffy!
>Q: So your character are like that?
>H: Not exactly, I tried to make them that way, but at teh end of the day I can only draw characters who has some of my personal traits. That is the basis, I just expand on it. They can never be Luffys.

>Q: Oda Sensei, what do you think about Horikoshi Sensei?
>O: He is surely the next big WSJ Mangaka.
>H: That's such a big compliment...
>O: Well I have a daughter and at her school or was it the bus? They played some song from the Her Academia Anime. All the children were hyped I heard. My daughter came home and asked me "Dad, can your manga stand a chance agaisnt Heroes?".
>H: Wow, I feel like I'm being given a prize right now... (Laughs)
>O: However there are things I'm worried about.
>Q: What would that be?
>O: The more characters one introduces the harder it gets to intgrate them all properly. I'm not sure if he can handle that right. However his creation is popular and deserves to be. I especially love his color pages and volumes. The look like hard work.
>H: Thank you so so much.
>O: What do you use?
>H: PhotoShop。
>O: I use the computer sometimes too.
>H: Yeah, but traditional drawing definietely is mor einteresting.
>O: You seem to enjoy american comics.
>H: I do! Spiderman and Deadpool are my all time favorites.

>Q: Horikoshi Sensei, what did you do for the movie?
>H: I was at several meetings during the script stage. Designed some character. Stuff like that. I would like to do more in the future.
>O: Watch what you say (laughs). If you start getting too involved there will be no end to the requests. Your weekly series is more important, don't let it ever affect your work.
>H: Yeah, it can be a headache, but I accidentally agreed already "to get more involved"...
>O: We'll make Jump even greater together.
>H: I hope I can support you...
>O: So how many volumes will your series run?
>H: I planned 30, but it won't be enough.
>O: Make it 50 then.
>H: I won't survive 10 years. (Laughs)
>O: Anything is possible, just draw.
>H: Did One Piece also get longer than planned?
>O: The story is at the very least 3 times bigger now.
>H: Yeah... The more I draw, the more I want to add too. The SPorts Festival was 2.5 times bigger than planned.
>O: That will happen again and again... If you follow your original script to closely, you will fail. Let's fight together!
>H: Yes...
>O: Say that with mroe confidence!
>H: ... I will do my best and surpass One Piece!
>O: I won't lose to you.
>H: I got lost in the moment sorry... (laughs). Thank you very much.
Original source in japanese: http://bbs.talkop.com/thread-106876-1-1.html
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The sports fest was 2.5 times bigger than planned? What? It was just going to be like 5 chapters?!
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Great interview. Seems like Oda really respects Hori enough to not only compliment him, but also offer criticism and advice. Usually in these paired interviews it's just the mangaka stroking each other's egos lol
 

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
>O: However there are things I'm worried about.
>Q: What would that be?
>O: The more characters one introduces the harder it gets to intgrate them all properly. I'm not sure if he can handle that right. However his creation is popular and deserves to be. I especially love his color pages and volumes. The look like hard work.
I actually agree with this bit. Interesting to see Oda realizing it too.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Great interview. Seems like Oda really respects Hori enough to not only compliment him, but also offer criticism and advice. Usually in these paired interviews it's just the mangaka stroking each other's egos lol
Well, it seems to me normal, Horikoshi is not a contemporary of Oda as Kishimoto, there is more than a peer is almost a teacher .....
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
When we talk all time about Jump Force, Black Clover Quartet Knights or Hero Academia Justice for All, but this is also coming this autumn while nobody noticing.

 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, it seems to me normal, Horikoshi is not a contemporary of Oda as Kishimoto, there is more than a peer is almost a teacher .....
The Kishimoto x Togashi interview were both of them stroking their egos and Togashi is 10 years Kishi's senior.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
When we talk all time about Jump Festa, Black Clover Quartet Knights or Hero Academia Justice for All, but this is also coming this autumn while nobody noticing.

I honestly forgot all about that which is ironic given how hyped I was for it when it was first announced.
>Fist of the North Star with Yakuza style gameplay
Sign me the fuck up!
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
When we talk all time about Jump Force, Black Clover Quartet Knights or Hero Academia Justice for All, but this is also coming this autumn while nobody noticing.
odd I dont know which sights you go on but Ive seen discussion for that.

Though since HeroAca had actually playable demos at multiple events, and BLack Clover had two weekends for the Beta and one more Beta coming up...it is to be expected.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
H: Came home from high school with the volume, so I turned the page and there was it, my drawing. I shouted "Mom!!!" with all my might and showed it to her.
..........................................

>O: That will happen again and again... If you follow your original script to closely, you will fail. Let's fight together!
>H: Yes...
>O: Say that with mroe confidence!
>H: ... I will do my best and surpass One Piece!
>O: I won't lose to you.
>H: I got lost in the moment sorry... (laughs). Thank you very much.

Horikoshi truly is Deku
 
Last edited:

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
The Kishimoto x Togashi interview were both of them stroking their egos and Togashi is 30 years Kishi's senior.
Togashi and Kishimoto from what I know are also personal friends as well as colleagues, so even there is that the tones are different.

I do not see anything wrong in the fact that Oda is a bit critical with Hori, is the advice of the current number one to a promising young man at the end ...

But then, thirty years? From what I know Togashi is 8 years older than Kishi ....
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I forgot to post this pic earlier. From Hero Academia volume 0 again (again, by that 4chan thread)

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top