Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 663 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
>a sumo manga is more lewd than Yuragi-sou, a ecchi harem manga
What a world we live in folks

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
They went to a love hotel to practice sumo with no distractions. She's just removing her shirt because everyone knows sumo wrestlers only wear a loin cloth. :cheez

Chuck_Atlas

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Meanwhile, other Sport manga MCs still dont have a gf :dancinUshio showing how its done!
>a sumo manga is more lewd than Yuragi-sou, a ecchi harem manga
What a world we live in folks
And has better romance and more progress

101nemesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
Meanwhile, other Sport manga MCs still dont have a gf :dancinUshio showing how its done!
Has there actually been a jump battle manga / sports manga from recent times when the MC actually officially had a gf? And no, end of series shipping don't count.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
In all seriousness, it's interesting to see Reina and the yokozuna's wife getting actual focus. I never thought the "wife" of the wrestler would be portrayed as being an important role in their career. It really seems like Reina is trying to be more than just another cheer in the crowd, she wants to help Onimaru in and out of the ring.

Meanwhile, many other sports manga practically neglect the female characters to the point where it seems like they're only present to fill a quota. Haikyuu, for example, has been a big offender of this. I would go as far as to say that there is basically no significant female character. Tanaka's sister is the only female character that had a significant impact when she brought out the drum squad to raise the team's morale. When the setting isn't on court though, the female characters are essentially irrelevant. They don't really do much for the story or the team.

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a shounen sports manga, where the fujos gotta be pleased ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
You can't really compare them. Haikyuu has its team dynamic that's so important to the story, similar to Slam Dunk. Hinomaru gave up its team dynamic in part 2. There's a reason you don't see sports at the pro level too much in shonen manga. Its a different atmosphere. Reina is currently filling in for the role the team did for Hinomaru back during the high school saga. She's supporting him in this current cutthroat environment where its everyone for themselves and results are all that matter and he has a giant handicap on his head. She's really the only one that can as he's
been heavily injured and had to take time off
Its not really a matter of neglect of female characters. In a boys' sports team, you simply cannot just start throwing in characters that can't have a big role. Sure you can show a female sports' team but really, do you want to start spending 10s of chapters away from the main team and their development and advancement? Its not a question of "Fujos have to be pleased". The so-called fujos have no problem with female characters being introduced and being gven development. Its simply possible that the mangaka doesn't want to start focusing on other people outside of their team of players. You already have a full team of players you have to develop. Is it wise to start throwing in more characters when you already have to characterize each rival team?

Again, Hinomaru can do it because it removed its entire team and thus doesn't have such a huge cast to work with all at once.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Huh, I didn't think of it that way. I never really considered the size of the cast as a possible factor, but now I understand what you're saying.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Which chapter of HZ was it where the yokuzuna made the rain stop? Or did he make it rain? Can't recall.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Has there actually been a jump battle manga / sports manga from recent times when the MC actually officially had a gf? And no, end of series shipping don't count.
Not MC and not girlfriend but my boi Hiruma has a slave :cheez
“Wrong, you’ll be working for me for the rest of your lives.”
Toriko has a wife, she proposes to him somewhere in the 200, but we all know his true love is Komatsu. Technically girlfriend(?)

Jonathan Joestar but this is old, Gohan counts too (when he becomes the Mc in the third act). Man the old stuff doesn’t shy away from romance :bishie

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You can't really compare them. Haikyuu has its team dynamic that's so important to the story, similar to Slam Dunk. Hinomaru gave up its team dynamic in part 2. There's a reason you don't see sports at the pro level too much in shonen manga. Its a different atmosphere. Reina is currently filling in for the role the team did for Hinomaru back during the high school saga. She's supporting him in this current cutthroat environment where its everyone for themselves and results are all that matter and he has a giant handicap on his head. She's really the only one that can as he's
been heavily injured and had to take time off
Its not really a matter of neglect of female characters. In a boys' sports team, you simply cannot just start throwing in characters that can't have a big role. Sure you can show a female sports' team but really, do you want to start spending 10s of chapters away from the main team and their development and advancement? Its not a question of "Fujos have to be pleased". The so-called fujos have no problem with female characters being introduced and being gven development. Its simply possible that the mangaka doesn't want to start focusing on other people outside of their team of players. You already have a full team of players you have to develop. Is it wise to start throwing in more characters when you already have to characterize each rival team?

Again, Hinomaru can do it because it removed its entire team and thus doesn't have such a huge cast to work with all at once.
While you are absolutely correct that solo sports allow for easier development of females and other characters who aren’t actual players (Baby Steps is a good example), Reina as a character, as well as their relationship simply got ten times more development during part one than most females get over hundreds of chapters in other sports series, like HQ or Kuroko (and longer non-jump examples like Yowamushi, Ace of Diamond and Ippo - another solo sport mind you) for example. Some of that can definitely be put down to the training arc with Shunkai, and I understand a solo training arc just with MC and a female character can’t really happen in many other sports, but really, Reina’s role as a team manager was just much stronger than most sports series in general right off the bat. Just think back to chapter 33 with their encounter in the rain.
The dynamic between Reina and his mother is already being alluded to, and there are a number of other similarities with the current events.
. If she didn’t get all that development, I don’t think she could have gone on to have as big of a role as she’s having in part two. Either way, Kawada is just a damn good writer.

On the topic of Pro arcs though, I definitely feel like that’s what killed Robo. It went on to being a solo story before it had actually developed any of the side characters, so none of them could really have any significant roles in the story post time skip. That meant it just turned into Robo (who’s not a particularly interesting character) and his opponent for 10 or so chapters, before repeating with the next opponent. Interestingly enough, the only characters Kawada has really neglected since part two started are the old Dachi High members, most of which have only appeared here and there and not really done anything.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Can not use the appropriate topic to talk about Hinomaru?

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not just a discussion of HZ, it's about sports manga in general. I'm not a moderator but I don't really see a problem.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I really do wonder when the last wsj series was where the MC had a girlfriend in a decent amount of the story that wasn't just an end of series pairing. I guess Nisekoi technically counts but the whole gimmick of the series was that they weren't actually dating for real.

Maybe Magico? though you'd have to go back further if you don't count cancelled stuff. Could be as far back as Death Note? Or Ichigo 100% if that doesn't count.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
On the topic of Pro arcs though, I definitely feel like that’s what killed Robo. It went on to being a solo story before it had actually developed any of the side characters, so none of them could really have any significant roles in the story post time skip. That meant it just turned into Robo (who’s not a particularly interesting character) and his opponent for 10 or so chapters, before repeating with the next opponent. Interestingly enough, the only characters Kawada has really neglected since part two started are the old Dachi High members, most of which have only appeared here and there and not really done anything.
Ironically enough, I feel the same is happening to Sumou right now as well. Overall, sales have dropped even further and TOC placements are more on the lower end with occasional weeks where it comes up. The story is great but the heat and type of heat is different. The current heat isn't something you can read feeling good. That definitely will affect enjoyment for the more lighter readers.

Also like you said, Daichi high members, the ones we got so close to in part 1 are all but gone. That really hurts popularity even if its made up with other new characters.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ironically enough, I feel the same is happening to Sumou right now as well. Overall, sales have dropped even further and TOC placements are more on the lower end with occasional weeks where it comes up. The story is great but the heat and type of heat is different. The current heat isn't something you can read feeling good. That definitely will affect enjoyment for the more lighter readers.
I agree with you on this one. A different type of heat is pretty much the best way to put it, as I still find the current developments to be as enjoyable, if not better at times, than the high school arc. Before it was watching the struggle of an almost ragtag team rising above the rest. The professional arc has more of a "one man against the world" feeling to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.