Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,719
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Time for a quiz. What do you prefer?
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Video Girl Ai
-I"s
-Ichigo 100%
-Nisekoi
-WNL

Harenchi Gakuen, Stop! Hibari-kun, Wingman, To Love-ru, and Yuuna-san could also be included
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Time for a quiz. What do you prefer?
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Video Girl Ai
-I"s
-Ichigo 100%
-Nisekoi
-WNL

Harenchi Gakuen, Stop! Hibari-kun, Wingman, To Love-ru, and Yuuna-san could also be included
Ichigo 100% or I''s based solely on characters. Including the bottom I'd add Hibari-kun. Haven't read Ai, Harenchi Gakuen, Wingman or To Love-ru.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,559
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Dont know if fake or not but 12/08 some guy post this tocs on 5ch :



And he said We never learn will get big news in #39. So its true tocs or guy write a fake but get right for we never learn ?
Translation please ?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Translation please ?
You already asked on the last page. Why not just Google translate it yourself if you're that interested in a likely fake TOC.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Translation please ?
you can just copy+paste in Google and get a Wikipedia on the series or a thing making it pretty obvious for most of them.
Gintama
Dr. Stone
One Piece
Jujutsu? (I got magic when Googling)
The Promised Neverland
Demon Slayer
Black Clover
My Hero Academia
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Act Age
Alice and Tajiro
Hinomaru Zumo
We Never Learn
Tanaka thing with the long title
Boruto
Haikyu
Momoji
Food Wars
Noah's Notes (end)
not sure (getting some anime that's not in Jump)

39:
Cover: We Never Learn (announcement)
CP: Act-Age, Dr. Stone, Golden Future Cup Entry #1
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Regrettably, I've only read the latest three, being Nisekoi, Yuuna and WNL. I think Nisekoi was by far my favourite, simply because I feel it had not just the best cast, but the most well rounded cast too. Something big Yuuna and WNL lack is the fairly strong presence of another male and a secondary romance like Nisekoi had with Shuu & Ruri. I feel like that made such a massive difference in the long run because it allowed for both refreshing moments, and also opinions from people who weren't crushing on the MC... Also the whole Mafia/Yakuza thing meant we got some action stories and a fairly expansive world that went beyond what most romance manga manage (just the school). Yuuna is quite similar in that regard, but I find it neglects a lot more of its main cast, and quite a number of the females aren't particularly interesting or just outright annoying (Just a preference thing I guess). Most Nisekoi chapters I could enjoy regardless of who was in them, but I'm finding I just don't enjoy half of the Yuuna chapters due to not liking the girls.

WNL is kinda too small for my liking, and it gets pretty old quickly. The cast is comparatively tiny compared to the other two, and the options for what can be done in the series are pretty limited due to the lack of anything absurd like assassins or yokai. I find Takemoto and Rizu pretty boring characters too, and the lead is probably the most boring of the three series, not leaving much left to like. The interactions are pretty good for what it's worth, and I do think it manages the actual romance aspect the best of the three, but that alone doesn't make it the better series, and I honestly find it pretty boring.

I'd like to see Tamura do a romcom.
Yeah I agree. Hungry Marie got really enjoyable when it started focusing on the romance more at around chapter 20, and that paired with his comedy made for a fun read.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Time for a quiz. What do you prefer?
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Video Girl Ai
-I"s
-Ichigo 100%
-Nisekoi
-WNL

Harenchi Gakuen, Stop! Hibari-kun, Wingman, To Love-ru, and Yuuna-san could also be included
Wingman, Video Girl Ai and I's. Katsura just does it for me because his art is so attractive and is the only Jump mangaka that can cover eroticism in a way that actually feels mature rather than the same stock tropes though Wingman and DNA2 are pretty dated now.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Time for a quiz. What do you prefer?
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Video Girl Ai
-I"s
-Ichigo 100%
-Nisekoi
-WNL

Harenchi Gakuen, Stop! Hibari-kun, Wingman, To Love-ru, and Yuuna-san could also be included
Personally We Never Learn because it has 2 stories in one basically. You have the study thing which alone would be an interesting SOL series then you have the romance sub plot with some of the characters that on its own could be an interesting series put them together you get a rom-com that doesn't need one or the other plot point to be a successful series at least in my opinion.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,719
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Knowing the ToC is fake... Are we already entering in Golden Future Cup weeks?

PD: My favorite romcom is Ichigo 100% btw I think Ichigo 100% is last Jump romcom which covered +18 stuff in the mix
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Regrettably, I've only read the latest three, being Nisekoi, Yuuna and WNL. I think Nisekoi was by far my favourite, simply because I feel it had not just the best cast, but the most well rounded cast too. Something big Yuuna and WNL lack is the fairly strong presence of another male and a secondary romance like Nisekoi had with Shuu & Ruri. I feel like that made such a massive difference in the long run because it allowed for both refreshing moments, and also opinions from people who weren't crushing on the MC... Also the whole Mafia/Yakuza thing meant we got some action stories and a fairly expansive world that went beyond what most romance manga manage (just the school). Yuuna is quite similar in that regard, but I find it neglects a lot more of its main cast, and quite a number of the females aren't particularly interesting or just outright annoying (Just a preference thing I guess). Most Nisekoi chapters I could enjoy regardless of who was in them, but I'm finding I just don't enjoy half of the Yuuna chapters due to not liking the girls.

WNL is kinda too small for my liking, and it gets pretty old quickly. The cast is comparatively tiny compared to the other two, and the options for what can be done in the series are pretty limited due to the lack of anything absurd like assassins or yokai. I find Takemoto and Rizu pretty boring characters too, and the lead is probably the most boring of the three series, not leaving much left to like. The interactions are pretty good for what it's worth, and I do think it manages the actual romance aspect the best of the three, but that alone doesn't make it the better series, and I honestly find it pretty boring.


Yeah I agree. Hungry Marie got really enjoyable when it started focusing on the romance more at around chapter 20, and that paired with his comedy made for a fun read.
It was always really good in Beelzebub as well.
He needs to try letting go of battle manga and focus on his strengths as a writer.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
->ToC is not rankings
->Rankings arent important
-> Series that was a bottom dweller is cancelled
->Rankings are important.

RIP Noah's Notes. I still remember people claiming it was the next big thing and would be the rounds winner. We see how that turned out. Pay respects to the believers of hallowed past.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Time for a quiz. What do you prefer?
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Video Girl Ai
-I"s
-Ichigo 100%
-Nisekoi
-WNL

Harenchi Gakuen, Stop! Hibari-kun, Wingman, To Love-ru, and Yuuna-san could also be included
WNL, Yuuna and I"s are the ones that I like the most. I"s is my favorite romcom.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
->ToC is not rankings
->Rankings arent important
-> Series that was a bottom dweller is cancelled
->Rankings are important.

RIP Noah's Notes. I still remember people claiming it was the next big thing and would be the rounds winner. We see how that turned out. Pay respects to the believers of hallowed past.
That ToC is likely fake. Even if Noah's ending ToC is still only useful for new series. How long have things like Food Wars, Yuuna, Zumo, Gintama sat at the bottom without being cut? Hell Bleach and Nisekoi spend their final years there as well.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Fake or not we know Noah’s Notes is getting canned.

It’s crazy that when the round started everyone was 100% sure Jujutsu, and Ziga was the ones getting the can, and Noah Note’s was going to be the next success, with Jujutsu being the least interesting of the 3. But now it looks like Jujutsu will last the longest of the 3
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That ToC is likely fake. Even if Noah's ending ToC is still only useful for new series. How long have things like Food Wars, Yuuna, Zumo, Gintama sat at the bottom without being cut? Hell Bleach and Nisekoi spend their final years there as well.
And nobody can ever answer it because it destroys the credibility of it all. Hell One Piece consistently being 1# destroys the credibility of the ToC and the reason why people still think its a ranking.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
->ToC is not rankings
->Rankings arent important
-> Series that was a bottom dweller is cancelled
->Rankings are important.

RIP Noah's Notes. I still remember people claiming it was the next big thing and would be the rounds winner. We see how that turned out. Pay respects to the believers of hallowed past.

I see them as blocks

One Piece, top, middle, bottom


[Opinion Alert, observational with only sales data to somewhat backup]

One Piece is One Piece,

the top block are series that are polling well, decent sales and the Editor decided to give them a push, maybe they see the potential, maybe they just want to see how it would do given enough push, this kinda promotion will stay for a while because mindshare is not built instantly and will stay longer if the volumes sale are growing, if they see the sales are stagnant, maybe they think it is time to give another series a push, and rotate them with the middle block,


The middle block is for established series that have not exactly peaked, but are growing slowly, they had their chances on the top block or just moved up from the bottom block because their volume starting to sold well or started to get more attention from readers(poll), the EiC might move them based on their performance so that can move to either side of the TOC.

the bottom block is for poorly received or Niche series, the place is prime cancellation zone and new series, especially from new mangakas really want to avoid this section because if it is not doing well enough before the first volume came out they might not even have a chance to show their worth, Niche series also belong here because they might not being doing too well in sales, but even the EiC and past EiC had said it is better to have some diversity in the magazine. (Logic behind that is IMO, mainstream series are just bring the same kind of audience, just replacing older readerbase with a younger one, while niche series are what bring a different demographic to their magazines and series). If a series started to show promised in its early day(Volumes PO & polling) then the editorial might give them a push putting them to the middle or even top blocks.

_____

that took a while to write, and it's a bit too long.




Anyway... do we have Oricon number yet?
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Top 50 Oricon sales chart for 8/6-8/12

219065 486748 Haikyuu
152771 300193 Neverland
*92405 176362 Black Clover
*62594 138247 Gintama
*54929 118990 Kimetsu
*52257 100379 Saiki
*51559 *96769 Hananochi
*33982 152864 Slam Dunk 11
*33842 147924 Slam Dunk 13
*33426 145496 Slam Dunk 14
*33269 150475 Slam Dunk 12
*27183 605050 Heroaca

The 51-100 sales chart should be released in the next two days. Haikyuu is actually seeing a growth in sales.
│266984 (3)│478477│549823│582781│609222┃*,694,489 (108)┃2018/02|ハイキュー!! 30
│267683 (3)│486748│------│------│------┃*,486,748 (*10)┃2018/08|ハイキュー!! 33

Kimetsu saw a tiny drop but recovered it and exceeded the past 3-day first week volume by a bit;
│*65861 (3)│118511│133976│------│------┃*,133,976 (*17)┃2018/03|鬼滅の刃 10
│*64061 (3)│118990│------│------│------┃*,118,990 (*10)┃2018/08|鬼滅の刃 12

Neverland's growth is also continuing well, so overall the new series are doing fine. On the other hand, Gintama continues to fall and Black Clover is also experiencing an unexpected drop:

│102907 (3)│193778│226022│------│------┃*,294,282 (*80)┃2018/03|ブラッククローバー 15
│*83957 (3)│176362│------│------│------┃*,176,362 (*10)┃2018/08|ブラッククローバー 17

Its an almost 20k drop from the previous 3-day first week volume and any lack of stock or whatnot should have been sorted out this previous week. We can say there are other factors like weather and whatnot but the other volumes are doing fine and even growing despite it so I'd say that influence is minimal. Let's hope this is just a momentary thing.

Heroaca however, finally had a new volume cross 600k on Oricon. Looking at the daily POS so far, it should rank in next week as well though stock issues have been noted so it remains to be seen whether it can continue in the top 50. We should see more backlog in the 51-100 chart later this week and as of 8/14, past volumes are almost all in the top 100 though again there are stock issues so I don't know whether that'll continue.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Time for a quiz. What do you prefer?
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Video Girl Ai
-I"s
-Ichigo 100%
-Nisekoi
-WNL

Harenchi Gakuen, Stop! Hibari-kun, Wingman, To Love-ru, and Yuuna-san could also be included
Nisekoi, To Love Ru and WNL.

Ichigo 100% is terrible, one of the worst mangas i have ever read.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Happy to see Neverland and Kimetsu doing well, but Im a bit surprised for the BC drop, did something happen in the manga?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top