Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,715
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I find some things in Jujutsu Kaisen refreshing so far.
-Territorial Expansion: a simple but powerful concept that surprisingly has been in so very few titles (biggest impact I recall are the Reality Marbles from Fate).
-Itadori training is also very original.
-Nanamin.
-Panda.

Also, my favorite character in Jujutsu is Itadori. He's a very good MC. I don't remember last time my favorite character in a manga was the MC.

Hopefully we'll get next chapters scanlated soon. I want to see how the Exchange will be.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
"Start Jumping" "Jump Start"?
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Currently at chapter 17 with Jujutsu and it's okay. Nothing outstanding, but not terrible either. One thing I have to mention is the fluctuation of art level, especially during fights. 85% of the time the manga looks like it could belong in OPM, and I don't mean the Murata version. Just take this double spread from chapter 15 for example:
The building and the two trees in the second panel are the most detailed things on this page, but the impact effects or the whole third panel look like they were done with MS paint in 5 minutes. I find it annoying when most of the time the backgrounds look better than the characters and action.
One possible reason is that the mangaka is still improving her skills. She's only 26 and this is her first weekly serialization. The art get's better as the story goes similar to Usazaki with Act-age. By chapter 40 its incredible how much she's grown, both in colouring and line work.
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
RWBY manga goes weekly.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I think they'd wait for the Jump Start to end for Chainsaw Man. Otherwise I feel they'd destroy what little faith people still had in the program since I doubt it was so popular chapter 1 reception got them to license it.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,296
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I'm curious..
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I think the appeal of Jujutsu so far is how it sets itself up to be enjoyed in small bursts of excitement, for example things like action scenes or just character interactions.

When new characters are introduced, we don't directly find out many things about them, but we do learn a lot indirectly through their actions and personalities, then at key points we learn crucial things about the characters and their motivations. This creates very charming characters that feel very alive and relatable, all of the characters have a special charm to them.

The shorter arcs work really well in this story because right now the author prefers to get to the point, everything in the manga has a quicker pace including the arcs. There is a very big overarching arc happening in the story and it is established since the start, the collection of the fingers.

I can understand why some people can't get into Jujutsu, especially if they don't like the quick pace. But it personally appeals to me so much and its huge popularity suggests younger Japanese readers also feel the same.

I can also understand why some people can't get into the art, but I love how dynamic the action scenes are and there's this interesting blend of detailed backgrounds and more minimalistic looking interactions between the characters, I love the contrast.

So there are good reasons why Jujutsu is the biggest new battle shonen in the manga industry since, I don't know, Kimetsu?

If Viz picks up anything, it's probably going to be Jujutsu.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'd like to see Viz get Jujutsu (and Act-age if it sticks around longer) but I'm thinking it could be they're doing another jump start batch like Neverland/Red Sprite/Love Rush where they pick up all 3 new series hoping one succeeds. They did just lose 3 weekly series at once after all.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'd like to see Viz get Jujutsu (and Act-age if it sticks around longer) but I'm thinking it could be they're doing another jump start batch like Neverland/Red Sprite/Love Rush where they pick up all 3 new series hoping one succeeds. They did just lose 3 weekly series at once after all.
I don't think Viz wants to add anything new, they're still waiting for the Kishimoto manga. :teehee
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
One possible reason is that the mangaka is still improving her skills. She's only 26 and this is her first weekly serialization. The art get's better as the story goes similar to Usazaki with Act-age. By chapter 40 its incredible how much she's grown, both in colouring and line work.
I'm catched up with the english translation now and took a peek at the raws of chapter 37 & 38, and I don't see much improvement. The backgrounds got a bit better, but the characters are still the worst drawn part of the manga. They lack detail, depth, and inking in general. Most of the time the characters involved in the fight from chapter 26 to 30 looked like the rough pencil drawn layouts you'd see when mangaka like Horikoshi or Tabata can't hold the deadline. They would fix it in the volumes, but that's something Akutami probably can't do, because that's just how she draws her characters.
Other than the art the storytelling took a dive for me with a certain incident that happened between chapter 24 and 25. It was the perfect moment to show how gruesome said incident was and how it lead to the change of a certain character. Instead all we get at the start of chapter 25 is a black page with text which explains what supposedly happened. It's supposed to be "show, don't tell", here it was the complete opposite "tell, don't show."
After catching up I don't feel like to continue reading.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
"Start Jumping" "Jump Start"?
weird day for a license announcement unless thereis some new con.

prays it is actually an announcement of a wider commitment to Jump+ titles.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My opinion about Jujutsu remains the same from the beginning: the author has style, but the writing lacks polish. Most of the time everything is rushed and confusing.
Agreed. Like am I missing something? I'm not getting why it's doing so damn well in Japan.
Jujutsu follows a current trend of any time a series gets an absurd amount of attention at the start people find the need to praise every aspect of it to "fit in" when in reality the series is fairly unremarkable (see: Dr. Stone) because its impossible for a series' success to be entirely built on shallow elements right? (Reborn!, Bleach, Kuroko, PoT) which isn't the say the series doesn't have occasional moments of brilliance but they seem few and far between and it only serves to highlight its weakness like how the last arc had a great build-up but dropped the ball immediately after that and this current arc might be the most dull tournament arc in a Jump manga because it feels so obligatory. As stated the series has a immense potential, the art is really stylish, the battle system is fairly intricate and has a lot of thought put into it and I like the fact the series is fairly frank with its cast and themes and can seem almost harsh at times unfortunately the cast is just not there yet Megumi is literally the only interesting character, while stylish the art is very crude making a lot of battles hard to follow, and the school element here feel entirely superfluous. So yeah Jujutsu is just okay as of right now and compared to the hits these past few years (Kimetsu, TPN) hasn't had anything I would deem impressive but it has a lot of room for improvement and it seems like all anyone can talk about over twitter in regards to it is Gojo.
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
From what I’ve read of Jujutsu I like it.
I was one of the few people that had faith in it from chapter 1.
However I don’t get the immense praise it’s been getting. Like jeez, it’s a solid series, but I see people acting like it’s the best series in Jump this decade.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
You might personally not like Dr Stone but it's still a pretty unique series and it's easy to pick out what draws people in.

Jujutsu however is a pretty standard exorcist battle shounen, there's not really a big obvious reason for it to be the one success over all the other flop battle shounen we've had ever since Kimetsu. It's decent enough and the way powers and enemies work is interesting but they don't strike me as the big reason it's doing so much better than any of its competitors did.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You might personally not like Dr Stone but it's still a pretty unique series and it's easy to pick out what draws people in.
Not really hell that's the main reason its fallen behind even You Never Learn. It does not matter how "unique" your premise is if there's no hook or a reason to keep on reading people aren't going to automatically get hyped over it. It feels like people are more obsessed over Dr. Stone's premise than its actual execution or even its own cast since thre's nothing remarkable about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top