Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
That anime beans vertical anime app will apparently launches worldwide tomorrow, and one of the 10 english subbed shows on it is Karada Sagashi's anime adaptation (the Jump+ series).

I've been pretty curious to see what that's like (and also how vertical anime works).

it is already out here, trying it out now
 

Haru Hana

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 15, 2018
Messages
45
Reaction score
26
Age
33
Country
The Wall
I'm currently listening to Viz's podcast and it seems for Haikyu and Demon Slayer they won't be playing "catch up" but just putting them in the vault as the volume releases (the they release every 2 months so basically we would get 10 backlog chapters every 2nd month).
That's so sad, at least for me. I'm planing to pay a subscription, mainly for Kimetsu's older chapters since I prefer to buy all the volumes at once for minimum shipping cost (no I don't like buying digital) and also don't want to wait for too long. I don't know what should I do since I'm not really interested in their line up...
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Shoseki Rankings (10/12-16/12)
2. One Piece #91
5. My Hero Academia #21
9. Haikyu!! #35
18. World Trigger #19
20. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma #32
35. Jujutsu Kaisen #3
39. We Never Learn #9
41. Dr. Stone #8
50. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs #13
52. Jujutsu Kaisen #0
105. Hinomaru Sumo #23

30位23000/50位14400/100位7000/200位3900/300位2750/400位2300/500位1900
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
World trigger doesnt seem to have grown.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,296
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
World trigger doesnt seem to have grown.
If you look at the position, you have to see the sales and numbers.

Rather, One Piece in second place?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I really enjoyed Hell Warden Higuma. I think the hand gimmick is brilliant and such a good idea that it can carry the series alone for a while in the beginning. I want to see where the story goes.

I did read the first two Ne0 chapters. I think it's decent so far, but I don't love it. Overall, I'd say it's nicely put together as a manga, but the hacking part bothers me the most. The hacking isn't really that well explained and it just comes off as magic hacking abilities. At the same time, the hacking "powers" haven't been too over the top, so I'm willing to accept what happened so far.

I've talked about Chainsaw Man before. I think it's great, the thing I love the most about it is how atmospheric it is because of the cinematic paneling. The blend of highly detailed backgrounds with more sketched out human interactions creates a really nice visual contrast.

I'd say this is the best batch of new series we've had in a while, all three of these could stick around if everything goes well.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
you look at the position, you have to see the sales and numbers.
Unless the volume did 50k+ in 19th place it's going to either lag behind or be the same as the previous volume hence why it doesnt appear the series has grown much if any.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Shoseki Rankings (10/12-16/12)
2. One Piece #91
5. My Hero Academia #21
9. Haikyu!! #35
18. World Trigger #19
20. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma #32
35. Jujutsu Kaisen #3
39. We Never Learn #9
41. Dr. Stone #8
50. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs #13
52. Jujutsu Kaisen #0
105. Hinomaru Sumo #23

30位23000/50位14400/100位7000/200位3900/300位2750/400位2300/500位1900
JJK 3 might, might break 100k in 13 days...

WT 19 trigger need ~20k to be in pace with (16,17,18) or ~30k to be in pace with 15 any more than that and it is tracking ahead. (using souma as benchmark, unless that suddenly crashes and burn it will clear that easily with 50k ++)


cant really tell about SnS, last time it was 6 days first week it did a 60k 2nd week(last volume ) . let see if it can maintain that.


zumo fail to reach top 100 (might still be on oricon, might)
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I actually love Chainsaw Man. Really hoping It sticks around. Really like how the battles are based around humans combined with different demon types which can lead to a lot of variety and creative matchups. Could result in some cool video games as well. Hoping it stays around tbh.

I don't like Ne0lation. It's battle shonen Mr. Robot written by a pseudo intellectual. I could see it catching on though.

Hell Warden was cool but underwhelming, I really like the powers of the mc but a lot of it felt really unrefined (characters writing and design, art) and bland. The mangaka definitely has some potential though just probably not to be realized with this serialization
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Of the 3, Ne0;lation's the one I'm curious about as a potential long term series. The other two are essentially both exorcist series and we've had enough of those to make a good guess at what they'll be like later on.

With Ne0 on the other hand I can't imagine setting up gang members being something that would work for years, but I'm not sure what other kinds of directions it could go in. I guess he could meet another could rival super hackers and have it become a battle of wits kind of series.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Of the 3, Ne0;lation's the one I'm curious about as a potential long term series. The other two are essentially both exorcist series and we've had enough of those to make a good guess at what they'll be like later on.

With Ne0 on the other hand I can't imagine setting up gang members being something that would work for years, but I'm not sure what other kinds of directions it could go in. I guess he could meet another could rival super hackers and have it become a battle of wits kind of series.
Idk have you read Fire Punch? Tbh I thought it was kind of a mess but the mangaka loves his subversions and attempts and deconstruction.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I have, and from that and usual exorcist manga you can make a good guess at what kind of series it'll be.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
To me Hell Warden didn't feel unrefined, I think this is just the mangaka's style. I liked the characters and the writing, but these are early impressions since there's only one chapter out.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How do you expect a manga that have been on hiatus for 2 years to grow?
plenty of time for everyone to have been caught up with the newest volume so that it would be heavily front loaded on sales, and thus could have easily cleared whatever maximum sales the previous volume was (349K or so?). They also made the chapters free on the website, had some promos, and celebrate its return with some small campaign, id have expected some sign of doing significantly better than the previous volume, not marginally better as it seems to be tracking as.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
plenty of time for everyone to have been caught up with the newest volume so that it would be heavily front loaded on sales, and thus could have easily cleared whatever maximum sales the previous volume was (349K or so?). They also made the chapters free on the website, had some promos, and celebrate its return with some small campaign, id have expected some sign of doing significantly better than the previous volume, not marginally better as it seems to be tracking as.
It's amazing already that they were able to keep the buying fanbase at roughly the size same if not better, and that's most likely what the campaign was supposed to do anyway: not to grow, but to regain audience that fell away due to the long break and reactivate them for the series. It's not like every buyer of the previous volumes was constantly following and checking if WT would return soon, there are many casual fans among that number.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's amazing already that they were able to keep the buying fanbase at roughly the size same if not better, and that's most likely what the campaign was supposed to do anyway: not to grow, but to regain audience that fell away due to the long break and reactivate them for the series. It's not like every buyer of the previous volumes was constantly following and checking if WT would return soon, there are many casual fans among that number.
perhaps, im just afraid, theyd see the numbers and be like, were ending WT within 48 chps (assuming it is still getting double chapters every week)
 

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
The recent episode of Black Clover delivered something equivalent to Naruto vs Pain. Unbelievable how a dead production like this is able to make an episode worthy enough to contend for episode of the year.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Unbelievable how a dead production like this is able to make an episode worthy enough to contend for episode of the year.
thats offensive and rude to many of the other BLack Clover episodes several of the animators share their clips and contributions of
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
World trigger doesnt seem to have grown.
Being in the Top20 in 2nd week of sales (or 3rd?) after 2 years of hiatus seems plenty good to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top