Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Eh, Togashi's art is pretty unappreciated because people just judge it based on the worst they've seen and forget about the rest. While it's not necessarily clean, the detail and paneling is incredible at times and he definitely deserves to be on there.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Young All Might makes me beg and pray we'll finally see his past that Horikoshi has been holding out on. (And Nana....)
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
Eh, Togashi's art is pretty unappreciated because people just judge it based on the worst they've seen and forget about the rest. While it's not necessarily clean, the detail and paneling is incredible at times and he definitely deserves to be on there.
If we're talking about the art of the mangaka in general, isn't consistency the most important aspect? If a low amount of chapters has incredible art, but a high amount of chapters bad art, then the average art isn't looking good despite the few chapters where it was incredible. However if someone is consistently delivering good art, that's imo better.

Probably because it is more recent
Shun Saeki made it far up although Souma is only 1.5 years older.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Young All Might makes me beg and pray we'll finally see his past that Horikoshi has been holding out on. (And Nana....)
In a movie ?

As if. Probably it was inserted only to push people to the cinema ....
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
I wonder how Togashi and Furudate made it on that list, but Horikoshi didn't. Don't get me wrong I like both HxH and Haikyuu, but I feel like the art is the weaker part of both, while Boku no Hero Academia has really strong art. Haven't read YYH, so I don't know if Togashi's artstyle used to be better back in the days.
Furudate’s art might be different from the anime art (the latter of which many people here prefer) but his art has grown to be one of the most dynamic manga art I have seen, due to the very frequent use of uncommon and more extreme angles (about 60%-70% of his panels are from more extreme angles), which also results in pretty frequent camera angles switching, lending another shade of dynamism to the art). His paneling is incredibly strong as well and some of his spreads are simply beautiful.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The boruto page looks hot. Boruto makes everything hes in hot.
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
Furudate’s art might be different from the anime art (the latter of which many people here prefer) but his art has grown to be one of the most dynamic manga art I have seen, due to the very frequent use of uncommon and more extreme angles (about 60%-70% of his panels are from more extreme angles), which also results in pretty frequent camera angles switching, lending another shade of dynamism to the art). His paneling is incredibly strong as well and some of his spreads are simply beautiful.
I'm not saying it's bad. I like his art, it's just often not that consistent. He can create really great panels, it's just that the characters aren't really drawn consistently.
Looking at other mangaka like Shun Saeki, Yuuki Tabata or Horikoshi, they all draw their characters pretty consistently well.

In Furudate's case they just look off a lot of times. I feel that for example Posuka Demizu and Yuusei Matsui have similar issues with their art. Again, I don't dislike the art, I actually like it. It's just that the art still has room to improve.

The Haikyuu anime is a good example for that, because it draws out the true potential from Furudate's character designs. Basically if the art from the anime were to be translated into manga, this would be the kind of consistency that Shun Saeki, Tabata or Horikoshi have.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Because I missed it.
Just how I'm feeling rn.

1. One Piece
2. Hunter x Hunter
3. Hinomaru Sumo
4. Beelzebub
5. The Promised Neverland
6. Ninku
7. Hikaru no Go
8. Dragon Ball
9. Mx0
10. Yu-Gi-Oh
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Did it get even bigger than the first chapter!?
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
I'm not saying it's bad. I like his art, it's just often not that consistent. He can create really great panels, it's just that the characters aren't really drawn consistently.
Looking at other mangaka like Shun Saeki, Yuuki Tabata or Horikoshi, they all draw their characters pretty consistently well.

In Furudate's case they just look off a lot of times. I feel that for example Posuka Demizu and Yuusei Matsui have similar issues with their art. Again, I don't dislike the art, I actually like it. It's just that the art still has room to improve.

The Haikyuu anime is a good example for that, because it draws out the true potential from Furudate's character designs. Basically if the art from the anime were to be translated into manga, this would be the kind of consistency that Shun Saeki, Tabata or Horikoshi have.
I agree with you about the inconsistency, but the Haikyu!! anime lacks Furudate’s dynamism. The fluid movements from the anime comes from the (incredible) animation, and not the art itself. The earlier anime seasons fail to capture his art in many occasions (season 3 came real close though). What draw me most to Furudate art is how he captures movements, which is something few artists can do.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I've watched Noah's Notes chapter 3 raw:
-It seems there is an organization where Professor belongs
-They traveled to Italy
-It seems there is also an evil organization
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I've watched Noah's Notes chapter 3 raw:
-It seems there is an organization where Professor belongs
-They traveled to Italy
-It seems there is also an evil organization
That's so Hungry Joker.
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
I agree with you about the inconsistency, but the Haikyu!! anime lacks Furudate’s dynamism. The fluid movements from the anime comes from the (incredible) animation, and not the art itself. The earlier anime seasons fail to capture his art in many occasions (season 3 came real close though). What draw me most to Furudate art is how he captures movements, which is something few artists can do.
I didn't really mean the animation, but the character design when I was talking about the anime. You're right though, Furudate is great at capturing movements which is why I really like his art despite the inconsistency in character design. I just feel that he has more room to improve than the other mangaka I mentioned, who imo are nearly as consistent as humanly possible.

Basically what I mean is whenever they draw their characters, they look basically the same as always. In Furudate's case it's often easily noticeable that proportions are a little off.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
I've watched Noah's Notes chapter 3 raw:
-It seems there is an organization where Professor belongs
-They traveled to Italy
-It seems there is also an evil organization

3 check marks right there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top