Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
Some of them are probably assistants
I hadn't thought about it lol
I would say the most of them are assistants, preparing their serialization
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
do they work
Obviously. I don't know how capitalism works in Japan, but I can't picture a scenario where people don't work and don't starve to death or end up homeless.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There are only less than 20 places for all these mangaka waiting to be published. What are they doing this time? do they work
jump+ exists
 

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
Obviously. I don't know how capitalism works in Japan, but I can't picture a scenario where people don't work and don't starve to death or end up homeless.
You are right.
I meant a work other than drawing, some mangaka have their own profession, but it'irs difficult to prepare for a serialization while working.

The income from their old works (axed after 20 or 30 chapters) should be very low to survive.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I have not seen a single cancelled manga whether 12 chapters or less than two years that were unjustified. They were either bad (opinion) or unenjoyable. I eventually read them all and now i think they are a waste of my time.

3+ years is a different story.
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They were either bad (opinion) or enjoyable. I eventually read them all and now i think they are a waste of my time.
They were enjoyable, but you think they were a waste of time? I think Im not understanding that which you are saying.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
They were enjoyable, but you think they were a waste of time? I think Im not understanding that which you are saying.
*Unenjoyable
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
You are right.
I meant a work other than drawing, some mangaka have their own profession, but it'irs difficult to prepare for a serialization while working.

The income from their old works (axed after 20 or 30 chapters) should be very low to survive.
For Jump authors, they have contracts that earn them a stable salary for a few years while they try to come up with something new.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
For Jump authors, they have contracts that earn them a stable salary for a few years while they try to come up with something new.
For how long does the contract last? They can't pay them forever(the mangaka with failed serializations).
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Uhh lesse for me it probably would've been Bokke-san, Takamagahara or Soul Catcher(S).

Jump seems like they were invested enough in Soul Catcher(S) to give it a proper send off at least but I wish we could've seen more of the other two.

Or even something new from the Takamagahara guy he just kinda vanished.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Let's remember the MAN.

Beelzebub was one of my favorites in Jump but sadly it did get kind of boring at the end. I wish they would reboot the anime. The manga was so good mane.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Mangaka without actice series work as assistant. Seen it 3 times in manga and couple in real life (the assistants chart a while back)

While working as an assistant they also prepare for serialization. Again both real life and in manga (Oda as assistant, Toriko’s author too in interview and produce numerous one shot, Bakuman, Juhan shutaii)

Would not be surprise if they have a one year contract, more would just be bad in general (stuck in one company)
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Would not be surprise if they have a one year contract, more would just be bad in general (stuck in one company)
While I don't know about other publishers, Shueisha, or at least the Jump department, is rather nice to its artists as seen in the Tsukuda interview. Jump will release a tankoubon which means royalties, however little, to the mangaka. They also help with living expenses and necessities as needed. Also there seems to be 2 year cycle between a mangaka being cancelled and then coming back again. Yokota is about the only person I can think off the top of my head that came back within 6 months. Ikezawa went almost 2 years between Mononofu and Noah's Notes. Even Horikoshi and Tabata had about 2 years between their previous series and their current series. I don't think Jump wants to let these people go though they will go if they want to but its probably not a bad deal to be stuck unless you have multiple series that failed to take off.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
There are those titles that, although they are good, as soon as they start we already know that they were not made for the magazine. Ex: Cross Manage, Shuudan.

There are those titles that are perfect for the magazine but do nothing to stand out in terms of storytelling. Ex: Sensei no Bulge, Iron Knight.

There are those titles that should have stopped as a one-shot. Ex. Golem Hearts, Hungry Joker.

There are those titles that despite the good premise, end up losing their potential or becoming a mess for not knowing how to fit it in the style of the magazine. Ex: Samon-kun wa Summoner, Stealth Symphony.

There are those titles that are interesting but need time to develop. Time that the WSJ doesn't have. Ex: Devilyman, Double Arts.

And there are those titles that are legitimately bad. Ex: Tokyo Wonder Boys, Mx0.
RELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX LOL
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Why do you think Mx0 was bad? I thought it was pretty fun to read.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I was just kidding.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
While I don't know about other publishers, Shueisha, or at least the Jump department, is rather nice to its artists as seen in the Tsukuda interview. Jump will release a tankoubon which means royalties, however little, to the mangaka. They also help with living expenses and necessities as needed. Also there seems to be 2 year cycle between a mangaka being cancelled and then coming back again. Yokota is about the only person I can think off the top of my head that came back within 6 months. Ikezawa went almost 2 years between Mononofu and Noah's Notes. Even Horikoshi and Tabata had about 2 years between their previous series and their current series. I don't think Jump wants to let these people go though they will go if they want to but its probably not a bad deal to be stuck unless you have multiple series that failed to take off.
I still think it's a one year contract with annually renew.

Because it would suck if you stuck in a 2~4 years contracts and all of your series (maximum 3 in a 2 years interval) failed.
I also think there are some sort of conditions that you have to draw to get paid, otherwise successful finished series author can just not work, live off of royalties AND a salary.
But again we don't have enough information so I will leave it at that.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Last edited:

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
There is a book written by shuho sato "manga binbo" about the economy of manga industry.

He is the author of say hello to Black Jack, bokuman (bakuman ?). He publishes his works himself on a website "mangaonweb", I think it's a magazine he created lol.

I think it could contain information about that.

http://shuhosato.mangareborn.jp/blog/?m=201306

He is not a wsj author, but I thought it can be useful for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top