Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 442 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MangAniMY

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
a bit late but still worth sharing I guess... LINE manga ranking for may

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
To some up the week's worth of thread topic's I missed out on:

I just got around to reading that new Hina Change series, and oh boy, that was a really sad twist to the series in the middle. I don't think I'm going to read any further past this series since it just seems way too depressing overall.

The newest batch of Jump covers seemed pretty simplistic overall, but Act-Age's still looked really nice. Saiyuki's was decent, as was Yui Kamio's. However, I agree that it definitely doesn't look like something that was drawn by its author, which could potentially hurt its sales from his die-hard fans.

I also recall a comment earlier on for series that could've used more editorial support in its story structure besides Hungry Marie, and I'd say Yui Kamio and Saiyuki fit the bill perfectly. Yui Kamio needs to pick an overall genre and stick to it, or if it wants to experiment with something more serious for an arc, transition into it more fluidly. Same goes for the developments within each chapter so they won't feel like the plots for several chapters jammed into one. As for Saiyuki, maybe spreading out the exposition gradually throughout chapters rather than having so many chapters of build-up so early on.

Shogi already being that low can't be a good sign at all. I like it better than the other 3 it premiered with, but it's strange. It's not really doing anything I like, but the overall plot is so off the rails that I pretty much can't look away. The childhood friend and the freakish bondage kid are easily the best parts though.

David-kun's final volume cover looks absolutely fantastic. I hope the author comes back with the next big ecchi romcom series. Don't get me wrong, I like most of the gags that were used in David-kun, but the romantic moments were really fantastic and well-drawn between David and Venus, and especially a few scenes with David and Mona. Even the more serious moments were drawn and paneled brilliantly.

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Random thought: the Shonen Jump title that needs a reboot the most for me is Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboken
-In top-20 of most sold Jump titles
-37 volumes
-Pure adventures title, which would perfectly fit in current age
-First anime only aired for some reason the 4 first manga volumes

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Random thought: the Shonen Jump title that needs a reboot the most for me is Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboken
-37 volumes
Like an anime reboot? Whilst I think that'd be neat any consideration of it for me is outweighed by a want for a new Beet anime. The creators outdid their old work with that one. It’d be cool to see though yeah

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
That reminds me. To me it seems like certain series are written specifically for volume format, and not weekly.

It would explain pacing issues certain series have. Whether or not that's a good thing is debatable, obviously.
Then you got Oda who did both. He picks how many chapters will be in a volume. He also says he tries to create weekly chapter so that anyone can jump to it and enjoy it without reading the previous chapter.

Konja9

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Peru
Fair enough, but locking him in a room and the name writing thing is a fair bit beyond that.
I'm pretty sure it was more a way to put pressure in Toriyama to continue his work (at least, I think Toriyama see this in that way).

Toriyama mentioned that he was glad that the editors pressured him to continue writing in his third year (around Piccolo arc), when he was tired to write.

Xzone

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
-37 volumes
Square would prefer an adaptation of newer games or newer manga from his editorial, and the writer/artist of Dai no Daiboken would prefer an anime adaptation of Beet, tho.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
To shift gears a bit, a question for everyone:

Who is your all-time favorite Jump protagonist? Who is your all-time favorite Jump antagonist?

TxxT

Reaction score
Country
Japan

Who is your all-time favorite Jump protagonist? Who is your all-time favorite Jump antagonist?
Protagonist: Tossup between Sakuragi Hanamichi or Hinata Shoyo

Antagonist: Not too sure but I'd probably go with Meruem

El Jacco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico

Protagonist: Sakata Gintoki.

Antagonist: Kira Yoshikage.

LuckyJim

Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria

My favorite protagonist would probably be Osamu Mikumo, the only actual underdog protagonist in Jump. I'll be honest though, it gets pretty frustrating seeing all of his failures, and the story seem to go out of its way to establish how much of a loser the guy is, but it makes you count his victories where you can, and his growth, although slow, is satisfying to watch.

For antagonist, it's Gakuho Asano. I loved how Matsui clearly used his experience from Neuro to make his appearances unnerving, I the amazingly over the top ways he bent the rules to put class E at a disadvantage and I especially loved how he brainwashed people. He was a very entertaining and charismatic villain, and always seemed to maintain some dignity despite losing all the time.

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland

Protagonist: Sakata Gintoki

Antagagonist: Chrollo Lucilfer. Honestly tempted to say Shigaraki Tomura tbh.

KennyKuro

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela

Luffy D. Monkey
Makoto Shishio

Chuck_Atlas

Reaction score
Country
Peru

Protagonist: Gintoki Sakata, with Hinomaru Ushio a close second
Antagonist: Sir Crocodile

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

Favorite protagonist: I think I'd go with Fuyuzora Kogarashi from Yuragi no Yuuna-san. He's an all-around stand-up guy who's worthy of having a harem flock over him. The total opposite of Rito from To Love Ru.

Favorite antagonist: Would Samon count lol? Using a more traditional sense of the word, I'd probably The Reaper from Assassination Classroom. Even though he was definitely evil, I still remember shedding a few tears during his backstory and conclusion.

Unrelated note: I just finished reading Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa, and it was really good. The gimmick was unique, the artwork was pretty nice, and the conclusion was fairly satisfying (a bit rushed, but not painfully so). I've been going back based off of a chart I found that contains the 2012-2018 TOC rankings and trying to find all the romcoms I can. I think I might try Pajama na Kanojo next, and then maybe Koisome Momiji. I almost started Sporting Salt, but then I realize its translation was never finished

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

protagonist: Kamado Tanjiro

antagonist: Muzan Kibutsuji

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Protag: Luffy, Sakuragi & Hinomaru Ushio

Antag: Meruem, Pucci & Doflamingo

Status
Not open for further replies.