Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

SharkBait

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Country
United States
*imagines if Boruto wasnt handled by pierrot* whaaaaaaaaaaaaa I guess companies were like, Lets Make an Offer Anyway! You only live once.

Black Clover was a similar case. It's a series along the lines of our classic battle manga. If we picked a late night time slot for it, it would restrict the audience for it. We also wanted it to air for over a year.
Thank you, I love you so much Editor in Chief, Your my hero

We already have Korean artists who live in Japan drawing for Jump
Who?!

anime64

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Country
Somalia
one piece will have 4 vol this year plus a new movie coming this summer
so i think neverland will have no chance outselling it imo
same goes for mha

savethecat

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Country
United States
one piece will have 4 vol this year plus a new movie coming this summer
so i think neverland will have no chance outselling it imo
same goes for mha
Other than Strong World has any of the recent movies brought forth a huge boost for the series?

And it’s too early to know how many volumes will be released this year as push back and release date changes happen all the time.

tirakai

Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if foreign artists not from S Korea or China could even survive in WSJ, not many other places have that same culture of 'a child's job is to study' that gets people used to working on 4 hours of sleep with no free time as they grow up.

Monthly magazines sure, a page a day isn't too crazy, but 2-3 pages a day isn't a healthy schedule everyone can do.

Nemesis

Country
Brazil
That was a excellent interview. Many interesting information.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The part about Black Clover and Boruto is basically a confirmation of what was already obvious. Good for it tho lol

BABYMETAL

Country
Dragonstone
A personal preference of mine. I wouldn't like to see non-Japanese artist in manga. Even in anime, it does bother me a bit to see French animators. Admittedly, it doesn't bother me to see Korean or Chinese (from asian countries) artist/animators. I dont want to see the manga industry to be infested with non-Japanese and/or non-asian artist. I know one or few foreign artist wont do anything at all but it would still bother me a bit not going to lie...

I dont think they'd be able to pull off the paneling/style of manga anyway and would be more likely to put out quality that is below the standard. A lot of these mangaka's grew up reading manga which influences them, while a foreigner can have a similar luxury, its pretty damn limited. I dont think its feasible tbh & more importantly workload should be considered

Last edited:

savethecat

Country
United States
I wonder if foreign artists not from S Korea or China could even survive in WSJ, not many other places have that same culture of 'a child's job is to study' that gets people used to working on 4 hours of sleep with no free time as they grow up.

Monthly magazines sure, a page a day isn't too crazy, but 2-3 pages a day isn't a healthy schedule everyone can do.
In America it seems like American comic artist are able to produce a large work load without being overworked(while a monthly Comic is on Average 22 pages a week, most successful artist work on multiple books in one month)

So I wonder what’s up with Japan’s manga industry

Nemesis

Country
Brazil
In America it seems like American comic artist are able to produce a large work load without being overworked(while a monthly Comic is on Average 22 pages a week, most successful artist work on multiple books in one month)

So I wonder what’s up with Japan’s manga industry
In america you have a writer, pencilers, inkers, colourists and letterers working on each comic so that's probably one of the reasons. And except for publishers like Image, those don't own their work, much like the work culture is different including in mindset.

I mean, Nakano even mentions that editors are working until the end of the day and I don't doubt he's also on there as editor in chief so this comes from every sector and bottom to top.

savethecat

Country
United States
In america you have a writer, pencilers, inkers, colourists and letterers working on each comic so that's probably one of the reasons. And except for publishers like Image, those don't own their work, much like the work culture is different including in mindset.

I mean, Nakano even mentions that editors are working until the end of the day and I don't doubt he's also on there as editor in chief so this comes from every sector and bottom to top.
Yeah, but I thought Inkers and Letterers exist in the manga industry as well(there’s no need for a Colorist).
Based on interviews I read, I assumed the assistants were the ones who did inking and lettering, as well as other things like background art, and background extra characters.
I

Savi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Country
Israel
Every publisher and author works differently, in Shueisha case there are letterers inside Shueisha that get a text file from editor with instruction for fonts and text size.

You can watch is here after 6:30, after this section over skip to 12:35, tho it's from 2009 and it might not be exactly like this today.

Nakurawari

Country
Ireland
Shoseki Rankings (04/02-10/02)
1. My Hero Academia #22
2. Haikyu!! #36
5. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma #33
6. Boruto: Naruto Next Generations #7
7. We Never Learn #10
9. Dr. Stone #9
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs #14
11. Act-age #5
25. Hinomaru Sumo #24
214. Alice & Taiyo #2
218. Alice & Taiyo #3

30位20200/50位15300/100位8350/200位4600/300位2800/400位2200/500位1800

Sheep1

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Country
United Kingdom
Shoseki Rankings (04/02-10/02)
1. My Hero Academia #22
2. Haikyu!! #36
5. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma #33
6. Boruto: Naruto Next Generations #7
7. We Never Learn #10
9. Dr. Stone #9
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs #14
11. Act-age #5
25. Hinomaru Sumo #24
214. Alice & Taiyo #2
218. Alice & Taiyo #3

30位20200/50位15300/100位8350/200位4600/300位2800/400位2200/500位1800
Is this the first time Hinomaru hasn't dropped out of the top 50 during its second week?

Jovan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Country
Serbia
How did Act-Age manage to sell less than Yuuna, when it was above it on every single day for Shoseki? I dont get it. Still should be at worst close to 45k-48k first week which will be great.

Hinomaru is tracking like the last volume which earned 23k in its first week, nothing to see here.

LAND LOCK Vol 1 sold less than 2,2k for WHOLE 7 DAYS. What a gigantic flop for Shueisha and Shonen Jump+, eek.

MangAniMY

Country
Malaysia
How did Act-Age manage to sell less than Yuuna, when it was above it on every single day for Shoseki? I dont get it. Still should be at worst close to 45k-48k first week which will be great.

Hinomaru is tracking like the last volume which earned 23k in its first week, nothing to see here.
it was behind it on sunday, also weekend have much more impact on sales than weekdays, finally they could sitll swap with oricon since it was close the whole week

Is this the first time Hinomaru hasn't dropped out of the top 50 during its second week?
still the first week,

daily ranked (is relative so doesn't really matter) slightly better than 23, but a bit worse than 22,
also gained nothing noticable during the weekend which is not a good sign
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

the rest of the author comments, (which includes David, Japan & Sumo)

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/34/

this mean only Yuuna (and the oneshots) doesn't get its comment translated

Tarot

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Country
Italy
A personal preference of mine. I wouldn't like to see non-Japanese artist in manga. Even in anime, it does bother me a bit to see French animators. Admittedly, it doesn't bother me to see Korean or Chinese (from asian countries) artist/animators. I dont want to see the manga industry to be infested with non-Japanese and/or non-asian artist. I know one or few foreign artist wont do anything at all but it would still bother me a bit not going to lie...
Nice casual racism and backwards thinking. You do realize things like Boruto episode 65 was a worldwide effort and wouldn't have been possible otherwise?

BABYMETAL

Country
Dragonstone
Nice casual racism and backwards thinking. You do realize things like Boruto episode 65 was a worldwide effort and wouldn't have been possible otherwise?
I didn't say that a foreign animator cant put out quality and/or are inferior. Im aware that foreign animators worked on other shows like MHA S3 & Vento Aureo. Anyway, I do like the idea that Japan is homogeneous and I would like it to stay that way as much as possible, which is why it does bother me a bit to see other foreign animators in that sense. I dont hate these foreign animators or feel they're inferior.

However, with being a manga artist is different IMO. Didn't say its impossible but like I said I dont think its really feasible. I feel like people mainly want a foreign manga artist for novelty sake which is stupid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 14)