Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 714 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serinox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Tatsuhiko Katayama
[Notable works]
Black Clover, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen, Summer Time Rendering

"A recent game I’ve enjoyed is “Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice”. It was really fun, and I managed fully complete it."
Ah, so that's how Tabata got all this Julius stuff past his editor: Katayama was too busy playing Sekiro to properly check the storyboards and chapters xD

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
the Viz interview make it sound like he's co-writing it with Tabata

Kolbe

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
The Venn Diagram between Jump characters and the cast of Danganronpa shrinks with each passing year of the modern era...
Kodaka in Jump is something I would like to see.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kodaka in Jump is something I would like to see.
It’s not entirely out of the question, since Kodaka recently had a stint in Weekly Shonen Magazine with Gamblers’ Parade. Though, that manga got axed.

Regardless, I’d be down for him writing for a Jump manga. He’d probably be part of a duo with an artist.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Ah, so that's how Tabata got all this Julius stuff past his editor: Katayama was too busy playing Sekiro to properly check the storyboards and chapters xD
he was the editor for Black Clover, it changed sometime before volume 15

random:

Katayama like to cosplay

yes, that is both him

Last edited:

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was just reading Kannade (a Jump manga from 2003) and saw the mangaka completely vanished since it was shortly axed. Now he suddenly resurfaced in January 2019 on Pixiv (now being 40 years old, and opened a twitter account in July 2019) with his work Shindou Soushi. His art seems to have improved (though 16 years passed since Kannade). So odd. Seems like he isn't coming back to Jump in any case.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was just reading Kannade (a Jump manga from 2003) and saw the mangaka completely vanished since it was shortly axed. Now he suddenly resurfaced in January 2019 on Pixiv (now being 40 years old, and opened a twitter account in July 2019) with his work Shindou Soushi. His art seems to have improved (though 16 years passed since Kannade). So odd. Seems like he isn't coming back to Jump in any case.

Oh whoa Kannade was a pretty good series, so this is excellent news!! The digital tone on that yin-yang medallion thing is a bit weird, but otherwise that’s a great step up. Always happy to see mangaka return

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Speaking of mangaka that have disappeared, I wonder what's happened to Naoki Iwashiro. He did a few one shots since Magico ended in 2012 but nothing more since then.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Everyone @hisoga had an interesting idea that he mentioned to me, that I wanted to run by you guys.

Do you guys want the previous polls to be archived and brought up from time to time to discuss them in the future? That includes posting screenshots of who voted for what in each category.

Furthermore, while I do think this is a good idea, I ask that there be a volunteer to handle this duty. This volunteer would archive and periodically bring up previous polls.

Not only that, this volunteer (or volunteers, if you guys want) would also be allowed to come up with ideas for future polls. Does that sound like something that would interest you guys?
So you don't have the polls archived? Shame, I'd liked to see the end result of the last polling where the question was who is our fav MC in the current Jump setting. In any case, I think this is a good idea. Is @hisoga interested to be the volunteer?

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Speaking of mangaka that have disappeared, I wonder what's happened to Naoki Iwashiro. He did a few one shots since Magico ended in 2012 but nothing more since then.
You meant Naoki Iwamoto? He was a character designer on Battle Spirits Double Drive -Project Chimera- that released in April 2019. I assume this was a mini series in Saikyo Jump?

He also did a oneshot Eiru ga Matte Iru in Jump SQ Rise in October 2018

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
So you don't have the polls archived? Shame, I'd liked to see the end result of the last polling where the question was who is our fav MC in the current Jump setting. In any case, I think this is a good idea. Is @hisoga interested to be the volunteer?
Nope, I do. I've been taking screenshots the entire time. But, I'm wanting someone to take over, as I kinda have my plate full with being a mod.

And no, no one has offered to volunteer as of yet.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In my boredom, I want to start this debate:

What is your opinion about Dragon Ball Z?

My opinion is that it was the anime that got me into both anime and manga. It'll always be special to me.

Plus, I had a lot of fun with the latest Broly movie, so I'm looking forward to what'll come next.

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
imagine writing a battle manga that refined a genre then coming back to get axed
that what happened with Kenshin and Nura
imagine writing a sport manga that refined a genre then coming back to get axed
that what happened with KnB and Rising Impact

What??.. knb didnt get axed or did I miss something very heavy

Last edited:

hisoga

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I am sorry, i can't.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
What??.. knb didnt get axed or was did I miss something heavy
No, @Mammo meant that KnB was a generation-defining sports manga but the next series by the mangaka got axed.

I do think the manga may have gotten some new fans taking up basketball. I dunno. That said, I'm still perplexed at the uncanny coincidence of Midorima to Steph Curry's rise. If Steph was Japanese, then that might make sense. But barely any NBA fans have heard of the manga in passing, and the only ones who probably know about it in the NBA might be Yuta and Rui. Mind-boggling, I tell you.

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
it's just so unnecessary

like what does having a scar add to Tanjiro design? how does it make it more impactful? Kenshin having a scar isn't the reason Kenshin grabbed people attention
same with rest of the scared mc, takes the scars away and their design is still memorable

i bet you if you showed their images to 10 people then removed the images and told them to redraw what they just saw 8/10 will forget to draw the scars
Scars always look small so that it doesnt overshadow the character face so with kenshin I agree with u. But for tanjirou it's something that can be placed big without overshadowing his face, since his scar is also big.. it makes it more "iconic", same applies how well done gotoge does it for the wind pillar.

Shonen characters with scars that make sense or look original is something I really praise, that's where in kimetsu, its designed so well. Not the generic "cuz I got cut there". No!! There is a interesting story behind it or something u wouldnt expect.

No, @Mammo meant that KnB was a generation-defining sports manga but the next series by the mangaka got axed.

I do think the manga may have gotten some new fans taking up basketball. I dunno. That said, I'm still perplexed at the uncanny coincidence of Midorima to Steph Curry's rise. If Steph was Japanese, then that might make sense. But barely any NBA fans have heard of the manga in passing, and the only ones who probably know about it in the NBA might be Yuta and Rui. Mind-boggling, I tell you.
Ooh oke,, man That's crazyy u have the link for the manga?

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
What??.. knb didnt get axed or did I miss something very heavy
like Newkerzy said

I mean Fujimaki wrote Kuroko no Basket then his next work Robot x Laserbeam got axed

Suzuki wrote Rising Impact then flopped with Ultra Red
Watsuki wrote Rurouni Kenshin then flopped with Gun Blaze West
Shiibashi wrote Nurarihyon no Mago then flopped with Illegal Rare

having the name of an author who made a name for themselves in a certain genre on a new work belonging to that genre doesn't save it from flopping

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
You meant Naoki Iwamoto? He was a character designer on Battle Spirits Double Drive -Project Chimera- that released in April 2019. I assume this was a mini series in Saikyo Jump?

He also did a oneshot Eiru ga Matte Iru in Jump SQ Rise in October 2018
Whoops made a mistake in the name, yeah I'd like to see him back with a series in Jump+ with him writing the story and doing the drawings. Magico was a great series until the author introduced an annoying rival towards the end.

like Newkerzy said

I mean Fujimaki wrote Kuroko no Basket then his next work Robot x Laserbeam got axed

Suzuki wrote Rising Impact then flopped with Ultra Red
Watsuki wrote Rurouni Kenshin then flopped with Gun Blaze West
Shiibashi wrote Nurarihyon no Mago then flopped with Illegal Rare

having the name of an author who made a name for themselves in a certain genre on a new work belonging to that genre doesn't save it from flopping
Well I'd say Shiibashi has been having trouble ever since Nura though. Illegal Rare lasted for around 30 issues back then, nothing says the same won't happen to his current series 🤔
--- Double Post Merged, ---

wtf I had no idea there was something like this in MHA volumes

Ctkk

Reaction score
Country
Highgarden
Probably just the translation. Per the anime director, Gotoge explicitly keeps their gender a secret.
Wasn't what he said specifically that Gotouge didn't like being addressed with female pronouns? Sure, that could mean 'I want to keep my gender private', but it could also mean 'I'm a dude, goddamit.'

the Viz interview make it sound like he's co-writing it with Tabata

A lot of mangaka seem to resemble their MCs pretty closely. Gotta write what you know, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.