Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 886 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
it would be interesting to see what would be s8 be in 1 or 2 years and i hope people keep the same energy.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Not January but November, still the same thing

They went out of their way to make a portfolio for her

at the point of this picture it has 300,000 copies in circulation by volume 4.
There was any substantial increase in the sales after that? The sales I didn't follow, but the TOC I surely followed and I didn't notice any grave peril for Act-Age until now, even during its early months. I don't think the series would die without this promotion like people suggested before. Before that the series stayed in 5th in the 次にくるマンガ大賞 2018. Just to make a comparison Jujutsu Kaisen was 6th and Gotoubun was 8th. https://www.manga-news.jp/article/9840/

They didn't do that to save the series, they did because they saw potential in it. Besides, 300k for 4 volumes is not bad at all for a new series.

TyVip

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
There was any substantial increase in the sales after that? The sales I didn't follow, but the TOC I surely followed and I didn't notice any grave peril for Act-Age until now, even during its early months. I don't think the series would die without this promotion like people suggested before. Before that the series stayed in 5th in the 次にくるマンガ大賞 2018. Just to make a comparison Jujutsu Kaisen was 6th and Gotoubun was 8th. https://www.manga-news.jp/article/9840/

They didn't do that to save the series, they did because they saw potential in it. Besides, 300k for 4 volumes is not bad at all for a new series.
yes 700k by volume 5 and 1 mil by volume 6 (and 400k and 500k circulation soon after the other) right after this campaign. The 400k/500k were posted by Heiji on here, so no picture for them.

edit: maybe 1 mil before volume 6 was released, not when volume 6 was released, just read the moonrunes link below.

btw it's at 1.7 mil before volume 8 released while we're at it. Probably ~2 mil in circulation by now.

yeah but you said good manga does not need advertisements.

Thores

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello my name is Sunny, I am new to interacting with the manga-helper forums

My interests in jump manga are:

The promised neverland
My hero academia
One Piece
Dr Stone
Kimetsu
Jujutsu Kaisen
Mitama Security (Recently)

I look forward to contributing to this forum. Thank you all
Welcome to the forum, Sunny!

If you're looking for more WSJ recommendations (and it's okay if you aren't), it seems from your list that you enjoy both battle manga and exorcism manga. Have you given Chainsaw Man a shot? It's a bit more edgy and cynical than the other titles on your list, but if you're into action and demons it's got plenty of both.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
yes 700k by volume 5 and 1 mil by volume 6 (and 400k and 500k circulation soon after the other) right after this campaign. The 400k/500k were posted by Heiji on here, so no picture for them.

edit: maybe 1 mil before volume 6 was released, not when volume 6 was released, just read the moonrunes link below.

btw it's at 1.7 mil before volume 8 released while we're at it. Probably ~2 mil in circulation by now.

yeah but you said good manga does not need advertisements.
You guys are understanding my words too literally. What I was trying to say is that ultimately what makes people buy manga is whether they like or not, what they perceive as a quality manga. Advertisement made everybody aware of Samurai 8 existence, it contributed to the sales? No.
Advertisement alone doesn't mean anything without something that people consider good, that's what I meant. People see the shiny colorful advertisement and give the series a chance, but what matters is in black & white inside the volume.

Anyway, in another subject, Act-Age advertisement has been something to behold, some creativity there with the website of the fictional agency, fictional playboy magazine and all that stuff. I think the creativeness of the advertisement also contributed with that. When the anime is announced I want to see some creative things as well such as Yonagi appearing to act as herself(?) or something? XD

El Jacco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico

Monthly 2/9 - 29/9

Kimetsu no Yaiba (1,966,013)
Go Toubun no Hanayome (739,805)
Haikyuu!! (567,872)
Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai (504,394)
Kingdom (446,467)

The Seven Deadly Sins (366,154)
Dungeon Meshi (338,414)
Dr. Stone (331,385)
Fire Force (305,600)
Golden Kamuy (300,208)
One Piece (250,722)
The Promised Neverland (230,033)

Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (216,531)
Seraph of the End (211,819)
The Ancient Magus Bride (200,237)
My Hero Academia (195,053)
Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (191,654)
Attack on Titan (186,363)
act-age (177,669)
Hoozuki no Reitetsu (162,544)

sakuratt91

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Shoseki Oct 9th shows Kimetsu is out of stock. so it will have bad sales this week. Will the stores be refilled next week?

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
It still feels surreal that Kimetsu beating OP in yearly sale is now a real possibility, though the chance is quite small. Hopefully Jump printers are working at maximum capacity.
Don't see possible given last chapters of OP and it's current arc right now. OP will skyrocket beyond others once more from that.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kimetsu no Yaiba selling almost 2 million in a month with no volume released, i'm starting to get scared by Yaiba's popularity kkkkk

Last edited:

Konja9

Reaction score
Country
Peru
You guys are understanding my words too literally. What I was trying to say is that ultimately what makes people buy manga is whether they like or not, what they perceive as a quality manga. Advertisement made everybody aware of Samurai 8 existence, it contributed to the sales? No.
Advertisement alone doesn't mean anything without something that people consider good, that's what I meant. People see the shiny colorful advertisement and give the series a chance, but what matters is in black & white inside the volume.

Anyway, in another subject, Act-Age advertisement has been something to behold, some creativity there with the website of the fictional agency, fictional playboy magazine and all that stuff. I think the creativeness of the advertisement also contributed with that. When the anime is announced I want to see some creative things as well such as Yonagi appearing to act as herself(?) or something? XD
In fact, advertisement of Samurai 8 could have contributed to sales at some level.

I mean, we don't know how much Samurai 8 would sell without this aggresive advertisement.

One question, can people read the content without buy a manga in Japan?

KoL2.0

Reaction score
Country
United States
Over or under 35% that S8 vol. 1 breaks 40k sales by November and vol. 2 breaks 35k by November as well.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow Spy x Family selling this much even without an anime,really wondering how much it will sell if it gets an anime

also Kimetsu sales are awesome,all thanks to Ufotable,i am curious if it can dislodge One Piece from it's number one position.
Doubt it. OP still got something given it's volumes can sale a lot more yet DS need in numbers to compete. Plus if 95 Volume comes in, it end that given reveals and war coming in it.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
In fact, advertisement of Samurai 8 could have contributed to sales at some level.

I mean, we don't know how much Samurai 8 would sell without this aggresive advertisement.

One question, can people read the content without buy a manga in Japan?
Given that almost any series in Jump, except some pretty bad ones, even the ones on the chop block sell at least that much or more although being from new authors with almost no advertisement... It did very little.

Reading while standing, Google for 立ち読み, exists.

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Oct 9th shows Kimetsu is out of stock. so it will have bad sales this week. Will the stores be refilled next week?
The reprints for volumes 1 through 16 are scheduled to go to stores on the 17th. Nothing about reprints for volume 17 as of now. It is #4 on Shoseki right now so the sales will definitely feel some kind of punch.

Over or under 35% that S8 vol. 1 breaks 40k sales by November and vol. 2 breaks 35k by November as well.
Very hard. Volume 1 is already at #69 and #77 on Shoseki. If anything, it might sell around 30k, but that's being positive.

Doubt it. OP still got something given it's volumes can sale a lot more yet DS need in numbers to compete. Plus if 95 Volume comes in, it end that given reveals and war coming in it.
The fiscal year ends in the middle of November and volume 94 just got released. Volume 95 is going to be released next year only.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Don't see possible given last chapters of OP and it's current arc right now. OP will skyrocket beyond others once more from that.
I doubt those latest chapters will give it a significant amount of backlog. Whether Kimetsu beats OP or not will depend on the month of November.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
The reprints for volumes 1 through 16 are scheduled to go to stores on the 17th. Nothing about reprints for volume 17 as of now. It is #4 on Shoseki right now so the sales will definitely feel some kind of punch.

Very hard. Volume 1 is already at #69 and #77 on Shoseki. If anything, it might sell around 30k, but that's being positive.

The fiscal year ends in the middle of November and volume 94 just got released. Volume 95 is going to be released next year only.
Could be bump sooner or later before end of the year to do regular 4 volume sales as always by Oda.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I doubt those latest chapters will give it a significant amount of backlog. Whether Kimetsu beats OP or not will depend on the month of November.
Kinda doubtful given fan base and after trending events if last chapters along boost of great animation to OP anime, OP will pull through again as it's serious for backing of the show.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Given that almost any series in Jump, except some pretty bad ones, even the ones on the chop block sell at least that much or more although being from new authors with almost no advertisement... It did very little.

You're forcing a bit now, Samurai 8 did not sell that in a week, it was in just 3 days, if a new series sell like this in just 3 days you can bet it will not be cancelled with 19 chapters, or at all, in the last 3 years basically no one of the new series that were quickly cancelled sold as much or even close.

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I fail to see why One Piece's sales would suddenly shoot up a good two months after Stampede came out purely on some twitter trends caused by pirated chapters.

That's...tricky to say, honestly.

For reference, here's a sheet of all Jump series Vol 1 sales from Tokyo Wonder Boys to I'm From Japan by the first month:

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Could be bump sooner or later before end of the year to do regular 4 volume sales as always by Oda.

Kinda doubtful given fan base and after trending events if last chapters along boost of great animation to OP anime, OP will pull through again as it's serious for backing of the show.
Trending on pirated content lol,.

Also One Piece sales are streamlined now, the movie released back in august didn't do anything to its (Even a small bump in backlogs).

Also if I'm a volume reader, the latest chapter wouldn't matter to me at all because i'm not caught up yet. People that caught up with One Piece may or may not buy the volume.

This may or may not be true anymore, but a while back I heard that there are certain One Piece fans that buy in bulk, they buy when an arc/saga is finished. So if that is true they wouldn't buy the Wano Volumes now because it isn't done yet.

One Piece in 2019 with 4 volumes wouldn't do the same as One Piece in 2017 in 4 volumes (2017 did 11.4 mil), estimation for this year One Piece is ~9.5-10M

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

It definitely won’t happen before the end of the year, Shueisha would have to be crazy to do that. Even if it got released in December it wouldn't count for this year's sales. Actually, volume 94 is selling a bit under volume 88, which also had a 3 day first week, but we have to see how it does in weeks 2 and 3. OP got a movie this year and had better production for the anime, but it barely did anything for the sales, they remained kind of stable throughout the whole year. Also, it was trending mostly outside of Japan and that's pretty much irrelevant for the manga market in that country (especially when it's from leaks).

Status
Not open for further replies.