Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 979 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercow297

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree that Tabata handles the cast better than Horikoshi, but I don't think the comparison is fair, I don't think most of Class A are to be important characters, they are just secondary characters, almost extras, they are just classmates of Deku, while the Black Bulls are part of Asta's group. I often see people complaining about Class A's lack of prominence but I think they'll never be important characters, they just exist to be classmates
Good point, but that's hardly a good defense. It's like saying "The characters don't matter because they aren't supposed to matter". Maybe they really aren't supposed to matter like you said, but I guess to me I expected certain people to matter which is why I felt some backlash.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, if I'm getting this correctly, it's likely that Togashi is able to take long breaks from HxH because he owns the complete rights to the IP and so he isn't under any obligation to complete it weekly? And it sells well enough (A million in a month is still massive) for Shueisha to continue allowing him to serialize it in Jump?

supercow297

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, if I'm getting this correctly, it's likely that Togashi is able to take long breaks from HxH because he owns the complete rights to the IP and so he isn't under any obligation to complete it weekly? And it sells well enough (A million in a month is still massive) for Shueisha to continue allowing him to serialize it in Jump?
Well, that and his health issues are on Daisuke Ashihara's levels so you can take breaks as required. I do buy into the DQ/idol meme but only partially.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
And it sells well enough (A million in a month is still massive) for Shueisha to continue allowing him to serialize it in Jump?
It doesn't sell like this anymore since v34, for some reason the manga had quite the drop starting with v35. v34 got out of the top 50 with "1,184,765" while v35 got out with "928,261" and v36 with "879,770".

supercow297

Reaction score
Country
United States
Btw as soon as Jujutsu left the flashback I think it started being more interesting than Chainsaw for me. As good as Chainsaw is it's very grounded whereas Jujutsu has a setup where much crazier, reality-bending things can be introduced.

Holy fuck Shibuya arc gonna be hype. You can tell cuz the last page is just a shot of the city but it's enough to raise the hype levels

I even feel like this will be the first 'Kamino' scale incident for the series. Excited.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
It doesn't sell like this anymore since v34, for some reason the manga had quite the drop starting with v35. v34 got out of the top 50 with "1,184,765" while v35 got out with "928,261" and v36 with "879,770".
Most likely due to the nature of the current arc (over 200 named characters).

I’d say Vol. 34 was an anomaly due to what it covered. Also, Vols. 35 and 36 both released in 2018 (first time since 2012).

TxxT

Reaction score
Country
Japan
With known numbers for KnY, it's currently ahead of One Piece by 200k copies

Kimetsu no Yaiba - 9,994,120 copies sold
One Piece - 9,771,454 copies sold

Thores

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Whooooooa.

If that remains the case at the end of the year, it'll be the first time that One Piece hasn't topped the charts in yearly sales since 2007.

TxxT

Reaction score
Country
Japan
With known numbers for KnY, it's currently ahead of One Piece by 200k copies

Kimetsu no Yaiba - 9,994,120 copies sold
One Piece - 9,771,454 copies sold
Top 10 Selling Manga Series for the past week

Kimetsu no Yaiba - 840,032
One Piece - 117,225
The Promised Neverland - 98,695
Giant Killing - 88,246
The Case Files of 37 Year Old Kindaichi - 82,847
Diamond no Ace Act ll - 77,061
Fire Force - 73,807
Isekai Ojisan - 62,902
5-Toubun no Hanayome - 61,515
Kingdom - 59,629

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yeah, it will beat One Piece by a good margin, still basically a month of Oricon until the yearly sales comes out, and Yaiba will just keep going and going...

iamnightwing

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Whooooooa.

If that remains the case at the end of the year, it'll be the first time that One Piece hasn't topped the charts in yearly sales since 2007.
What was the last series that beat it in the yearly chart? And before 2006, was it #1 before or OP's #1 streak started in 2007?

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
What was the last series that beat it in the yearly chart? And before 2006, was it #1 before or OP's #1 streak started in 2007?
Death Note in 2006
Sales period covered: 2006/01/01〜2006/12/31.

Series Sales

*1 DEATH NOTE (12 Vols) [Takeshi Obata]
*2 Nodame Cantabile (Vol.1~Vol.16) [Tomoko Ninomiya]
*3 ONE PIECE (Vol.1~Vol.44) [Eiichiro Oda]
*4 MAJOR (Vol.1~Vol.61) [Takuya Mitsuda]
*5 BLEACH (Vol.1~Vol.25) [Kubotite]
*6 NARUTO (Vol.1~Vol.36) [Masashi Kishimoto]
*7 NANA (Vol.1~16) [Ai Yazawa]
*8 Gintama (Vol.1~Vol.16) [Hideaki Sorachi]
*9 Eyeshield 21 (Vol.1~Vol.22) [Yusuke Murata]
10 Honey and Clover (10 Vols) [Umina Chiko]
Nana in 2005 as well

iamnightwing

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Even though I want OP to win, it looks like Kimetsu has it in the bag with how its backlog is going.
I mean looking at yesterday's daily, KNY 17 is at #3 and all the backlogs are still in the Top 80 at least....

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, it finally seems to have happened.
People really can't wait until December huh? I got weekly update on Kimets vs. OP sales everywhere I've been to. I bet lots of casual fans get into sales war over this.
To be fair, dethroning One Piece in end of year sales is kind of a really big thing. One Piece has been at the top for over a decade, and now it's almost certain that it'll be unseated - to a manga that wasn't even in the Top 10 in the mid-year sales rankings. It's another indicator of just how huge Kimetsu has become.

Kharthas

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's another indicator of just how huge Kimetsu has become.
You just know that people will focus more on "Kimetsu beating OP/OP has been dethroned" angle despite that Kimetsu sales by volume is nowhere near that of OP. Kimetsu's feat (going from 150k seller to 800k seller in half a year) is remarkable by itself, not by comparison with OP.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
You just know that people will focus more on "Kimetsu beating OP/OP has been dethroned" angle despite that Kimetsu sales by volume is nowhere near that of OP. Kimetsu's feat (going from 150k seller to 800k seller in half a year) is remarkable by itself, not by comparison with OP.
I can already see certain youtubers doing that lol

But I wonder if people are going to start saying that Kimetsu declined hard when we see the series sales for 2020. It's safe to say it will be much lower in series sales next year but people won't factor that in and assume the volume sales dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.