I'd say times have changed though. I think is way more possible for Kishimoto new manga to survive because Kishimoto name now than in 2000. But still everything can happen: we've had Watsuki and Kuroko no Basket or Beelzebub authors examples in the negative way and...Hiro Mashima in the ''his name is enough for selling''. Togashi could be another example with Level E. As some of you said, I wouldn't compare Kishimoto with KnB or Beelzebub authors, but with superhit authors like Kurumada and Watsuki.
The Kurumada stuff is interesting because when Ring ni Kakero ended, Kurumada was axed, then Saint Seiya happened, then he was axed once again, and he went to another magazine.
Another example could be Katsura: Wingman was somehow succesful, then he was axed, then Video Girl Ai, then he was axed twice, then I''s (funny thing is that his most well known animated title aka DNA2 is one of his axed titles).
PD: Still, the big hit of 2019 is going to be Chainsawman