Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Are people scalping copies of Demon Slayer? The only other reason I can think to buy more than one copy is one for reading and one for saving in which case why not just buy digital for reading?
manga is really cheap and i don't think it's profitable to scalp. Shuiesha always have emergency reprint that goes straight to the bookstore if they wait a few days
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I also think Shuiesha trolls for the initial print of Demon Slayer, trying to save some paper smh. We back in 2014 bois and girls.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Interestingly enough, those are two series that didn't grab me in the beginning, but I kept reading anyway because lots of people seemed to like them.

Black Clover promovated from "This is really generic and dull" to "This is generic but kind of interesting so I might read it when I have time, I guess" and Kimetsu still doesn't do anything for me.

In other words, I think my habit of judging a series by its first chapter(s) is a good one, because it's extremely rare for me to really like a series if I didn't get drawn in from the start.



It's a good indicator when you have lots of reviews. Four or five people isn't enough to generalise.
Christ your taste is so weird. What DO you like? Are you just past your shonen period?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
After one day ?
RxL was able to break 100k on Vol 1 per Shoseki estimates, S8 will be lucky in its current position to make break 50.

Again, it's important to remember the position S8 is in, and the promotion surrounding it.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
So did you expect all the promotion money will just be recovered within its initial stages lol.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ok let me get it straight, there is a big difference between some random user on the internet and a big company.
The company doesn't just see how it's performing in it's initial stages despite the investments used on it, they are people who are capable of seeing beneath the surface they see the potential of the manga, where can the story go upto in future, what new experience can it give to the readers and many such factors before deciding to axe it.
So yes S8 I can't just see it getting axed soon
Just to make myself clear (and sorry if I was a little rude in the previous post, btw. It's hard to manage tone sometimes), I also don't think Samurai 8 will be cancelled, there's way too many series worse than it right now and... I don't want to revive the previous argument, but I feel like Shueisha would give Kishi more time. Even more so if the story is not supposed to be very long. Also, I wasn't commenting on the series quality, just on its sales. I don't think it really matters what I think of the series when discussing its potential success or failure, anyway.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
And as I just said the company isn't some random person of internet like you Rain specter to decide stuff they see the potential of the manga, where can the story go up to, what new will it gives to the readers, and other various factors not just see the ranking on TOC and it's intial performance
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
One thing to possibly consider is that Samurai 8 may actually have less potential for huge growth than a newbie author, if it starts off low.

With a new creator people won't instantly have faith in what they're doing, people aren't going to just pick up this random newbie's manga because of the cover, I imagine a lot will probably wait until it's already popular and widely talked about then jump on. WSJ is famous for it's harsh expectations after all, there's no point wasting your money on something by some unknown creator that might just get cancelled as soon as you get into it.

With Samurai 8 however everyone already knows Kishi, Naruto fans who don't read wsj will probably all have heard of it already, and people who are just browsing in-store will see the promotion on the stands and know who its by. You won't get as many people who were unsure at first jumping into this new series later after it becomes a stable hit like with Kimetsu, Jujutsu, etc.

Considering the current state of Jump it'll probably last 7-10 volumes anyway but if something by Kishimoto, the Naruto guy, can't sell impressively first volume, despite all the promotion, then I can't see it growing too much later either. If buyers don't care about vol 1 and 2 it's probably not too likely they'll care about later releases either.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
After one day ?
6th on Shoseki. Though it did have less competition, it looks like.

And for reference (for when we get S8's Oricon), RxL did 59,605 in its first week. And had a first printing of 200k apparently.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States


In less depressing/apprehensive news, bookstores apparently have been having to limit copies of Kimetsu to just one per person because of how popular they are. Holy shit.
say it together now

#1 Annual Sales Gang
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And as I just said the company isn't some random person of internet like you Rain specter to decide stuff they see the potential of the manga, where can the story go up to, what new will it gives to the readers, and other various factors not just see the ranking on TOC and it's intial performance
Battler, I would have expected you of all people to be more logical about this whole Sam8 situation.
Also your profile pic is a big spoiler.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Btw, maybe it is relevant, maybe it isnt, but I was looking at Edens Zero numbers (another recent return of a huge battle shounen author) and it ranked 6th (and a limited edition at 20th) on first day. Of course, it didn't have to compete with new Jump volumes, but I think it's an interesting point of comparison. It did 30k in oricon (counting 3 days of sales)
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,554
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
6th on Shoseki. Though it did have less competition, it looks like.

And for reference (for when we get S8's Oricon), RxL did 59,605 in its first week. And had a first printing of 200k apparently.
But isn't too soon to make prediction? It's just one day sales
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Question, what're the Shoseki numbers for the other Jump+ series besides Spy?
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Today or in general?
MangaAniMy posted them a few pages ago, but basically:

4 Spy x Family 2
58 2.5 Dimensional Seduction 1
72 Summer Time Rendering 8
79 Mone-san no Majime Sugiru Tsukiaikata
88 Hidarikiki no Eren 9
93 Shouwa Otome Otogibanashi 3
106 Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo 4
148 Hoshi no Ouji-sama 5
288 Dear Sa-chan 1
339 Arata Primal 3

I might have missed something, but that should be it?

Whoops, replied to myself. Ah, whatever.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
While everybody is busy thinking in muh Samurai 8 I want to comment about SpyxFamily beith 4th and beating almost all Jump; and at the same time Jujutsu Kaisen being 5th and already beating Black Clover.


Guess this is the first Jump manga to win one.
And this is huge.

What reminds me: @redon since you usually buy databooks, do you have planned to buy the Hero Academia Databook 2 that was released this Friday? Is to see if you could provide some info in affirmative case
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
MangaAniMy posted them a few pages ago, but basically:

4 Spy x Family 2
58 2.5 Dimensional Seduction 1
72 Summer Time Rendering 8
79 Mone-san no Majime Sugiru Tsukiaikata
88 Hidarikiki no Eren 9
93 Shouwa Otome Otogibanashi 3
106 Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo 4
148 Hoshi no Ouji-sama 5
288 Dear Sa-chan 1
339 Arata Primal 3

I might have missed something, but that should be it?

Whoops, replied to myself. Ah, whatever.
also
038 Black clover quartet knights 3
054 Shokugeki no souma L'etoile 8
100 Koisuru One Piece 3
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top