So I voted
two serializations for this week's poll. In the spirit of things, I'd like to make some additional predictions. I'm not 100% confident about any of these, but why not throw out what I'm thinking and see what happens. Could be fun!
First off:
no axes or new serializations until November. That means I think the earliest axe will be Issue #49, and the earliest debut in the new batch will be Issue #50. One reason I think this is that the previous serialization round was Issue #40, and
serialization rounds tend to be at least 10 issues apart lately. There have been several exceptions to that rule over WSJ's history, but that hasn't happened yet during Nakano's run as Editor in Chief. Also, we've already gotten 11 new series this year, and even one additional series will mean we've gotten more debuts in 2019 than we've gotten in the previous three years. So I think not only that the next batch will be the last one in this serialization year, but also that WSJ isn't in a big hurry to release it just yet.
Second:
at least one of Double Taisei, Beast Children, and Tokyo Shinobi Squad will survive the next batch. Obviously I think that we're only getting two axes this round, but I also think that
if there's a third cancellation it'll probably be Yui Kamio. Three series from the same batch of three or more also getting cancelled in the same batch is not only very improbable statistically, it also hasn't happened since 2011. I also just get the general vibe that, because so many series are ending and none of their replacements thus far have been hits, WSJ will keep at least one of these three around to see if it gets a second wind. My more specific guess is that Taisei is definitely cancelled, and that one of TSS or Beast Children gets to stay for at least one more round. Leaning towards TSS being the survivor out of those two.
Third:
neither We Never Learn nor The Promised Neverland are ending this batch, but at least one of them will wrap up for the following batch. Possibly both. This is also probably when the remaining survivor of Taisei/Beast/TSS will be axed, barring a miracle. I think that batch will happen either late January or sometime in February.
And finally:
one debut in the upcoming batch will be something a lot of us think is pretty good. The only "this is good" consensuses we've had so far this year for the main magazine are Chainsaw Man and, to a lesser extent, Yozakura Family. I'm gonna be an optimist and say that the next quality new series is right around the corner. It's also been a decent while since we've seen a real hit from WSJ, so I feel like the alternative would just be kind of depressing at this point.
Whatever happens, I'm excited to see what the next batch is like! Both Yozakura and Mitama have been pretty fun for me, so I'm hoping that this is the beginning of a quality spike for the publication in general.