Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 883 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctkk

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Highgarden
I doubt they printed that much. All evidence points to Shueisha being more likely to underprint than to overprint. They are always doing 'urgent reprints' of everything. I'd bet on something like 50K.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Moonland is setting up a new arc. Looks like it won't be ending any time soon.

Wouldn't that be incredibly stupid? I mean, the series HAD been hanging out with the bottom-dwellers in the TOC for several weeks already before these volumes were released. It's not like they had no warning at all.
The warnings were dismissed endlessly here, but I don't think the editors are as delusional as you guys here. XD
Experience is worth something when it comes to Jump and manga market.

Kharthas

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It still feels surreal that Kimetsu beating OP in yearly sale is now a real possibility, though the chance is quite small. Hopefully Jump printers are working at maximum capacity.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
RxL apparently had a first printing of 200k, but that was doing a little better in the ToC, it looks like.

KoL2.0

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
So Oricon's next list is next Wednesday?

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
lol what a mess this thread became with all the doom and gloom talk, even some users acting like Shueisha must be desperated, crying in a corner, calling Kishimoto or something like that lmaooo seriously guys? less much less kkkk.

So in 3 days sold 12k and 11k? to be honest i expected volume 2 to sell a bit less but looks like people are really buying both which is good because v2 is where things really pick it up. Of couse is underperforming, but like i said before, if it's selling good enough to let Kishi do his work, i'm totally fine and is by far the best selling first volumes from a 2019 new series (not counting CM) so i really doubt that SJ will do anything with it for a while.

Man, what a monster Kimetsu no Yaiba has become...

ChocoBar9

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
You two are trying to read too munch into it, it's not a super rare practice with veterans coming back, Toriko and Kyoukai no Rinne (released after Inuyasha) had the first two volumes being released at the same time, is just "hype" tactic because the author is known.
It is very rare for the sheer fact you can only list two other series in which it happened to. Also it was a ploy to get people to read both volumes as a whole since the series doesn't begin until the second volume its why there's a current meme going on in Japan based on Kishi's afterword for v1 stated that the manga is like dried squid you have to keep chewing until you get the flavor leading to funny comments about how people have been chewing since it started and still cant get it.

Also equating to Rinne doesn't help your case since that was a huge disappointment sales wise and only stayed alive due to Takahashi being who she is.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I doubt they printed that much. All evidence points to Shueisha being more likely to underprint than to overprint. They are always doing 'urgent reprints' of everything. I'd bet on something like 50K.
Like it was said below, I seriously doubt they would issue a lower printing number for S8 than Robot x Laserbeam.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It is very rare for the sheer fact you can only list two other series in which it happened to. Also it was a ploy to get people to read both volumes as a whole since the series doesn't begin until the second volume its why there's a current meme going on in Japan based on Kishi's afterword for v1 stated that the manga is like dried squid you have to keep chewing until you get the flavor leading to funny comments about how people have been chewing since it started and still cant get it.

Also equating to Rinne doesn't help your case since that was a huge disappointment sales wise and only stayed alive due to Takahashi being who she is.
That is just your guess about why they published 2 volumes at once, but thing is, is something that happens, rare, but happens with veterans coming back, and no, Rinne wasn't a huge disappointment sales wise, i remember pretty well seeing both volumes selling over 100k in the top 50, for Shonen Sunday is nothing disappointing (Yes i know the manga didn't keep selling like that after)

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
RxL apparently had a first printing of 200k, but that was doing a little better in the ToC, it looks like.
Yeah, from what I remember, RxL had good TOC placements until 2018, timeskip arc and Act-Age/Boze batch

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is just your guess about why they published 2 volumes at once, but thing is, is something that happens, rare, but happens with veterans coming back, and no, Rinne wasn't a huge disappointment sales wise, i remember pretty well seeing both volumes selling over 100k in the top 50, for Shonen Sunday is nothing disappointing (Yes i know the manga didn't keep selling like that after)
Its not a guess it was something blatantly advertised that way and Rinne only sold 100k LTS for those two and never reached that peak after, its sales were also disappointing compare to Inuyasha.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shonen Sunday these days will take a 5k+ seller, let alone something like Rinne. Which is sad, but hopefully tides change with MAO and Yofukashi bringing some buzz to the magazine. Things like Kamio Yui would have lasted for 10+ volumes minimum there.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Its not a guess it was something blatantly advertised that way and Rinne only sold 100k LTS for those two and never reached that peak after, its sales were also disappointing compare to Inuyasha.
Unless you show me a piece of advertising where is stated "hey, buy these two first volumes from the new Kishimoto manga called Samurai 8! Are you wondering why is two at once? because it gets better on v2! I promise you ;D", is just a guess.

So? it doesn't matter, the first two Rinne volumes sold over 100k, and that isn't disappointing at all, if isn't for Shonen Jump, imagine for Sunday.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
If the comparison between the massive promotion x photos of piles of Samurai 8 volumes stuck in bookstores are any indicative I think the print number was around 100k per volume, therefore a disaster.
Do you mean the print number of those series have now or when they started? My Hero Academia had serious shortage in first volume for example.
I mean now, like they're treating it as a pillar or one of the faces of the magazine
I know this is a stretch, but life taught me to never underestimate stupid

my guess it has similar print to Boruto whatever that might be

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Unless you show me a piece of advertising where is stated "hey, buy these two first volumes from the new Kishimoto manga called Samurai 8! Are you wondering why is two at once? because it gets better on v2! I promise you ;D", is just a guess.

So? it doesn't matter, the first two Rinne volumes sold over 100k, and that isn't disappointing at all, if isn't for Shonen Jump, imagine for Sunday.
Funnily enough, the whole "it gets better in Vol. 2!" thing was Kishimoto's volume comment, right? Something about dried squid?

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
HQ's peak is 990k my guy
I feel like people need to clarify which peak they are talking about. HQ's peak in a month before leaving the charts is somewhere in the early 800s. So Kimetsu still has a bit more to go. HQ's peak print for a volume is more than a million.

The 990k you're talking about is not its peak per month nor is its peak over a 12 month period. The highest HQ volume peak in sales was a bit over a million over 10-12 month period.

Someone posted that few pages back, actually.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Funnily enough, the whole "it gets better in Vol. 2!" thing was Kishimoto's volume comment, right? Something about dried squid?
In his first interview about the manga he already stated that the manga would have a slow start and gets better with time and even that he expected readers to not be much engaged with it at the beginning.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's exactly what I said but he ignored it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Of course it matters because it did not sell 100k initially that was after 4 years.

Kyōkai no Rinne #1 - 50,888
Kyōkai no Rinne #2 - 46,601

And that is very disappointing regardless since back then sales expectations were way higher and especially coming after Inuyasha.

Status
Not open for further replies.