I used to love Prince Of Tennis back when it was running in WSJ, I still read it to this day whenever new chapters get scanlated, but you don't read PoT expecting something real like you'd reading Slam Dunk.
Just recently, well in the latest scanlated batch of chapters Ryoma
had a tennis match on a horse... so yeah I don't expect realism while reading PoT.
And Takeshi Konomi
knows this and actively plays along with how ridiculous its manga has become, now players can literally make illusions and stuff like that haha.
But this also happened in the first Jump spokon series, Ring Ni Kakero. The world champion was named Jesus (not joking) and he had an attack called Neo Bible.. they also battled the Germany team which consisted of Nazis.. Basically.
Oh yeah and each boxer had a technique, for example one of the main characters had a punch called "Galactica Magnum" and it has like galaxies exploding and stuff like that.
Then this trend continued with Captain Tsubasa and so on, actually I have seen plenty of unrealistic spokon, but can't remember many realistic ones other than Slam Dunk... Any recommendations? Is Eyeshield 21 realistic or not?
So I guess what I'm trying to say is there are two kinds of spokon: "realistic" and "over the top".
Just as I wouldn't have expected a "fire shoot" or "clone abilities" in Slam Dunk, I don't expect realism in Prince of Tennis and I can enjoy both of them for different reasons, or even for the same reasons like character developments, companionship, stuff like that that is a staple of spokon be it "realistic" or "over the top".
I know it probably is heresy to admit this here lol, but I certainly enjoyed series like Prince of Tennis or Yowamushi Pedal more than Slam Dunk for example.