Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I'm not sure why this post would contradict anything I said
But there are simply fewer people around .... not to mention that now there is also the Kimetsu phenomenon that eats a good part of the numbers.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
But there are simply fewer people around
Sales decline for these series preceeds Corono and KnY boost.

Kimetsu phenomenon that eats a good part of the numbers
Kimetsu doesn't stop you from buying other series and for series as big as HQ & MHA, it also doesn't push your new releases out of the charts completely.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
It was editor pushing and fan response that might have got BtW serialized since it got great reception and feedback all over Japan when the one shot got released. I’m pretty sure it was the most popular one shot to come out of that Jump 50th anniversary one shot releases.
Imagine Bleach surpassing Slam Dunk and Kochikame lifetime sales if demand increases with the release of the new anime which may introduce a new generation to the series.
Imagine the death note one-shot become an mini series ;(, it would freaking explode of greatness
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Looks like Manga+ just picked up Kanou Yasuhiro's new manga, Kill Me, but only in Spanish.

I love his stuff so I hope we get an English version too. I didn't know he had started something new but I guess it was just a few weeks ago.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Sales decline for these series preceeds Corono and KnY boost.



Kimetsu doesn't stop you from buying other series and for series as big as HQ & MHA, it also doesn't push your new releases out of the charts completely.
Yes, yes it does.

I mean sure, it´s probably not a HUGE drop because Kimetsu cannibalized other series' sales, but there´s only so much money that people have to spend on "hobbies", imagine for example there's this guy goes to Seven Eleven and only has a 1,000 yen bill, this guy buys some food, but he only has around 500 Yen left! sees the new Kimetsu and the new MHA volume.. He has to make a decision and decides to go for the new Kimetsu volume, "I will buy the new MHA volume other day.." And that day never comes..

That's probably happened sometimes, I mean I know it has happened to me, I intend to buy some series but I just kinda lose interest over time, it's impossible to buy every single series you want to for most people... Even if you did, I doubt you would have to time to actually read every series, unless you actually dedicate all your free time to it.

I mean if we put all the different factors that are maybe contributing to different sales together:
-Readers finding the series got boring or stale. (Which happens for most series after a couple of years, especially one-two years once they get their anime adaptation).
-Coronavirus (I'm pretty sure this must have lead to a decline in sales, no matter how low, even in Japan which supposedly is "fine").
-Kimetsu no Yaiba cannibalizing other manga sales.

If each factor takes 5% away from other series' sales that's a 15% decrease right there. If MHA used to sell I dunno 750,000 copies a 15% decrease is 110,000 less volumes sold.

What I think lots of people don't see is that Kimetsu hit the mainstream big time so IT IS cannibalizing other manga sales, if a "normie" that used to buy say I dunno say 10 volumes of manga a month (Like a 5,000 Yen budget) and I don't think "normies" would buy that many volumes anyway but let's just use this hypothetical example, they'd probably buy the new Kimetsu over other manga they follow and maybe never buy that series again.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Yes, yes it does.

I mean sure, it´s probably not a HUGE drop because Kimetsu cannibalized other series' sales, but there´s only so much money that people have to spend on "hobbies", imagine for example there's this guy goes to Seven Eleven and only has a 1,000 yen bill, this guy buys some food, but he only has around 500 Yen left! sees the new Kimetsu and the new MHA volume.. He has to make a decision and decides to go for the new Kimetsu volume, "I will buy the new MHA volume other day.." And that day never comes..

That's probably happened sometimes, I mean I know it has happened to me, I intend to buy some series but I just kinda lose interest over time, it's impossible to buy every single series you want to for most people... Even if you did, I doubt you would have to time to actually read every series, unless you actually dedicate all your free time to it.

I mean if we put all the different factors that are maybe contributing to different sales together:
-Readers finding the series got boring or stale. (Which happens for most series after a couple of years, especially one-two years once they get their anime adaptation).
-Coronavirus (I'm pretty sure this must have lead to a decline in sales, no matter how low, even in Japan which supposedly is "fine").
-Kimetsu no Yaiba cannibalizing other manga sales.

If each factor takes 5% away from other series' sales that's a 15% decrease right there. If MHA used to sell I dunno 750,000 copies a 15% decrease is 110,000 less volumes sold.

What I think lots of people don't see is that Kimetsu hit the mainstream big time so IT IS cannibalizing other manga sales, if a "normie" that used to buy say I dunno say 10 volumes of manga a month (Like a 5,000 Yen budget) and I don't think "normies" would buy that many volumes anyway but let's just use this hypothetical example, they'd probably buy the new Kimetsu over other manga they follow and maybe never buy that series again.
Every series has a number of readers who are casual fans which is why after a peak the sales always decline for every series. It's why manga volumes usually bundled with something more tend to do better than regular volume releases which are just solo.

One manga doing well doesn't imply it'll affect another's sales. This isn't like movie releases where a movie releases for a limited time and after that it's no longer available in the theaters.
That's like saying S8 would've done a lot better had KNY not have such a big boost because its cannibalizing the market and no one wants to read S8 because of it.
AOT didn't cannibalize the market, Death Note didn't cannibalize the market, OP's growth in 2011 didn't cannibalize the market and neither has KNY.

MHA, TPN, HQ, OP are all declining and they all have been declining over months / years now. This isn't something new.

JK, CSM are clearly not affected and are in fact still reaching new peaks.
So does the cannibalizing effect only happen for a select few series whose decline needs a more convenient reason?
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Every series has a number of readers who are casual fans which is why after a peak the sales always decline for every series. It's why manga volumes usually bundled with something more tend to do better than regular volume releases which are just solo.

One manga doing well doesn't imply it'll affect another's sales. This isn't like movie releases where a movie releases for a limited time and after that it's no longer available in the theaters.
That's like saying S8 would've done a lot better had KNY not have such a big boost because its cannibalizing the market and no one wants to read S8 because of it.
AOT didn't cannibalize the market, Death Note didn't cannibalize the market, OP's growth in 2011 didn't cannibalize the market and neither has KNY.

MHA, TPN, HQ, OP are all declining and they all have been declining over months / years now. This isn't something new.

JK, CSM are clearly not affected and are in fact still reaching new peaks.
So does the cannibalizing effect only happen for a select few series whose decline needs a more convenient reason?
To add on to this, SPY x FAMILY is also still increasing at a really high rate for how many volumes it has. It could probably sell as much as HQ, MHA, and TPN in a month now. We tend to forget about it, like most recent increases saleswise, because KNY, but yeah. And there's tons of other manga experiencing boosts as well.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If KnY really was cannibalizing other series' sales, wouldn't we be seeing that happening across the board?
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
To add on to this, SPY x FAMILY is also still increasing at a really high rate for how many volumes it has. It could probably sell as much as HQ, MHA, and TPN in a month now. We tend to forget about it, like most recent increases saleswise, because KNY, but yeah. And there's tons of other manga experiencing boosts as well.
To add to this even more, if cannibalizing was a thing then SxF was the unluckiest manga of all time since it's volumes released during all significant boosts of KNY. However it still retains the best debut volume numbers for a new series since AC

If KnY really was cannibalizing other series' sales, wouldn't we be seeing that happening across the board?
Exactly. Its why I gave other examples.
Death Note blew up in one of the most crowded eras ever with OP, HxH, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Reborn etc. But all did remarkably well in their own ways.

It's a very lazy argument
 
Last edited:

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
It's a very lazy argument
Not to mention that older series in general have been declining for years and will continue to do so, it's only natural. I don't know why alot of people ignore that Jump isn't the only magazine out there that is experiencing a decline with it's older series
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MH POLLS FOR ISSUE #16​

Yo guys, in the next hour both polls will be closed, if some of you didn't voted yet or forgot to do, vote HERE and HERE

Edit: We're in low number this week in the regular poll.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I have to wondering if this argument of KNY "cannibalizing" sales is just another attempt to frame the series as "unworthy" of beating One Piece, as if unworthiness is something which exists in the manga world.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have to wondering if this argument of KNY "cannibalizing" sales is just another attempt to frame the series as "unworthy" of beating One Piece, as if unworthiness is something which exists in the manga world.
No because i also read a lot of "cannibalizing" sales about OP in these years too.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I have to wondering if this argument of KNY "cannibalizing" sales is just another attempt to frame the series as "unworthy" of beating One Piece, as if unworthiness is something which exists in the manga world.
No it's not, he didn't even bring up OP. You just have some weird obsession of turning everything about KnY into a VS debate between OP. How insecure can you possibly be as a reader is astonishing...
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
I have to wondering if this argument of KNY "cannibalizing" sales is just another attempt to frame the series as "unworthy" of beating One Piece, as if unworthiness is something which exists in the manga world.
This take makes no sense at all. On the contrary since the same cannibalizing sales argument is used against OP all the time(there was even an argument about it in the 2019 thread) this would just legitimize KnY as its true rival even more
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Looks like Manga+ just picked up Kanou Yasuhiro's new manga, Kill Me, but only in Spanish.

I love his stuff so I hope we get an English version too. I didn't know he had started something new but I guess it was just a few weeks ago.
I'm glad I can speak spanish as well. XD But I really preferred if it was english as I prefer to read it much more.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Btw, how do you guys expect that the bleach anime will adapt 20 volumes?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have to wondering if this argument of KNY "cannibalizing" sales is just another attempt to frame the series as "unworthy" of beating One Piece, as if unworthiness is something which exists in the manga world.


How does that make it unworthy? If anything, that would make it more worthy, as it's a sign of extreme popularity.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I have to wondering if this argument of KNY "cannibalizing" sales is just another attempt to frame the series as "unworthy" of beating One Piece, as if unworthiness is something which exists in the manga world.
It would be a wonder if you manage to write OP in another sentence that's not about sales war with Kny xD
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top