Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2023) - News and Discussion! | Page 534 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2023) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Mamayuyu finally developed some sort of plot, the action was still a mess but at least the author's not skipping it any more.

Congrats to Yozakura on reaching ch 200, I didn't expect it to last this long when it was new but it's ended up being a great series so I'm glad it did. I wonder if it'll hit 300, the series is making progress towards the end but it's not in any rush yet.

Chibi Cthulhu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so I'm guessing once Nito goes pro he won't be able to use his flying knee attack, interesting.

Still crazy that an anything goes type of underground event allows one over the other you'll think they would be ok with both or neither.

Last edited:

iker_03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I do find it kinda funny people saying Akane and Samurai have no western popularity. Viz gave both physical print runs immediately. In theory that means Viz saw more western potential in them than series like PPPPPP (was ongoing when solicited), Witch Watch, and of course, Yozakura.

People are also forgetting we already have a well received rakugo anime that pushed its manga to popularity in the west (Kodansha kept putting it "best seller" bundles and sales at least) https://myanimelist.net/anime/28735/Shouwa_Genroku_Rakugo_Shinjuu

I don't see why Akane would have anymore trouble than it did.
With Akane maybe, but with The Elusive Samurai was just because of Yūsei Matsui's popularity with Assassination Classroom, the same happen worldwide and TES end up being a huge flop in some countries, i think Brazil was one of those (maybe @Shinuki no Reborn can say if im wrong or not) and in some spanish speaker countries is even a meme how TES is just paper waste because noone buys It or has an extremly low popularity

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great fight in Mamayuyu. Need next week's Undead Unluck now.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
With Akane maybe, but with The Elusive Samurai was just because of Yūsei Matsui's popularity with Assassination Classroom, the same happen worldwide and TES end up being a huge flop in some countries, i think Brazil was one of those (maybe @Shinuki no Reborn can say if im wrong or not) and in some spanish speaker countries is even a meme how TES is just paper waste because noone buys It or has an extremly low popularity
I assume Samurai sells somewhat here (Canada). My bookstore doesn't have a lot of room for manga and very quickly drops series that aren't selling and they still get ~5 copies for each new release and restock older volumes.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
I assume Samurai sells somewhat here (Canada). My bookstore doesn't have a lot of room for manga and very quickly drops series that aren't selling and they still get ~5 copies for each new release and restock older volumes.
That’s interesting cause from where I live (USA, California) there is this one Barnes & Nobels that has an entire section for manga (next to the DVD’s and vinyl records) and yet they still have TES but not enough to promote it. Only series that made it big due to their anime adaptations. Mostly JJK and CSM.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh and Spy x Family.

Blink22

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kagura Bachi had a better ending to conclude the first volume than Mamayuyu did. Introducing the first arc and raising the stakes for the main cast. Simple but effective

I also like how they keep highlighting Chihiro’s inexperience and room for growth. It makes him still feel like a kid surrounded by grownups with plenty of combat experience. Helps to make every adult around him feel capabale unlike in certain other battle shonen series

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
People are also forgetting we already have a well received rakugo anime that pushed its manga to popularity in the west (Kodansha kept putting it "best seller" bundles and sales at least) https://myanimelist.net/anime/28735/Shouwa_Genroku_Rakugo_Shinjuu

I don't see why Akane would have anymore trouble than it did.
Though with that comparison, the thing is that Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju might just be one of the best manga series of all time, especially with its story.

Akane may be good, sure, but it is not that good.

Discomusic

Reaction score
Country
Italy
1. Witch Watch: This arc was great even in its conclusion. I liked every enemy character discussing what they will do next and I'm sure we will see them again. And now as I expected a return of the comedy scenarios, Shinohara can go for as long as he wants with this series.
2. Undead Unluck: He was very missed, and performed greatly as expected. And that twist at the end? Sick! Wicked sick!
3. Blue Box: The focus on sports continues as the brotherly rivalry is showcased more but it seems one-sided. Haruto confirms to be a good addition to the cast and Taiki has very improved in badminton.
4. One Piece: For all the important stuff that happened and all the other important stuff that was teased, I prefer One Piece flashbacks when they are emotional, so the part of the chapter that I liked the most was the end about the daily lives of the free people.
5. Me and Roboco: MVP of the week was Showa gag Roboco, but everyone in this lineup is contributing greatly to the success of this arc, including "main timeline" Roboco and her insecurities.
6. Mission: Yozakura Family: The battle is won and Taiyo was magnificent through all these chapters, but I couldn't help but notice that in this Shinzo rescue arc...Shinzo didn't do anything at all. (PS: congrats on chapter 200)
7. Kill Blue: This chapter was funny. I didn't expect the setup from last week to be dropped in a handful of pages, and the episode of the week was funny and made me familiarize with their school life more.
8. The Elusive Samurai: I remember that his wife already left before the timeskip. Has she returned to cheat on him again? I also like the fact that he doesn't care for factions, but only for people having the best weapons for their characteristics.
9. Martial Master Asumi: I agree with the big brother, it's not that great of a problem if he loses this bout. But I hope that at least he puts up a better fight in the next rounds.
10. My Hero Academia: Very fast to read but also very enjoyable...more or less, it was the celebration of a big return.
11. Cypher Academy: I liked how Anonimity cheated to get there, and more or less I like her character based on finding a solution by cheating. The final purpose seems to be having every relevant character having something to do in this quest.
12. MamaYuyu: So it was not just a test of strength after all? That was the true shock this week.
13. Akane-banashi: Wait, so Rakugo events can't be publicized in social media? That's rough. I hope those four people aren't thinking they could have just stayed at home.
14. Sakamoto Days: All the people are there, including that guy from the exam everyone forgot about. I don't really remember what was his specialty, maybe super-hearing given the context?
15. Two on Ice: It's a little weird to have him do all that super-complicated coordination stuff only for him to cover the basics just now. At least it doesn't look like it's already ending anymore.
16. Nue's Exorcist: So another week of people discussing exposition while nothing happens around them, and a special week of Gakuro getting an upgrade without actually doing anything. Not at the bottom because the true form of Nue was very cool.
17. Kagurabachi: It's still over there, reeking of mediocrity. Now we are starting and auction arc, it may be a good chance to get more interesting.
18. Jujutsu Kaisen: I'm not fond of this change of mood, even if just for one week. Even as an insight at the world of japanese comedy, Show-ha Shoten! does the job better.
19. Ice-head Gill: There was a good chance there to reprise the theme of the first chapters, about the suffering of having to kill your loved ones turned into liches...but "you're more stupid now" is the best it could do. Sigh...
20. The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins: Well, that was a good ending, even if the dad had more explaining to do in my opinion. Unlike others I was feeling it needed just a couple chapters to - oh come on now!!!!!

Retro binge update. Space Adventure Cobra: I read volume 2. One thing that surprised me is the different way character deaths are handled: in one occasion, Cobra killed an arc enemy by shooting at his back and then retreating without even a comeback line; in another, he struggled to save an ally in time only for her to die offscreen because it was already too late. Even the supposed main villain seems to have kicked the bucket already! It was truly a different era.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
20. The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins: Well, that was a good ending, even if the dad had more explaining to do in my opinion. Unlike others I was feeling it needed just a couple chapters to - oh come on now!!!!!
🤣Hahahahahaha……..my thoughts exactly.

I have been feeling like lately with all these current series by skimming through this latest issue. It feels as if they are now either concluding their current arcs or setting up new ones (except for OP, MHA, and JJK [but then again I think OP is finishing its flashback and MHA and JJK are in the beginnings of their new fights]).

Phantom RPG

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I found this issue to be rather one of the best, am hoping it keeps up with the next issue.

In other news what's the word in regards to the new one shots from this issue of Jump Giga?

Blink22

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tozuka sensei…always leaving Undead Unluck fans with something special. The foreshadowing leaving up for this plot twist at the end was crazy. The story is at its best with its world building

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
At the end of Undead Unluck, are those the ten UMA’s?

Also, something special is happening with our new batch of three. As they will be a part of Jump Giga this autumn in JUMP NEXT WAVE Short Stories in Jump GIGA 2023 AUTUMN.

Also, here is the list for the upcoming new volumes for January 2024.

Weekly Shonen Jump January 2024 Volume List
· Jujutsu Kaisen 25
· Mission: Yozakura Family 21
· Me & Roboco 16
· SAKAMOTO DAYS 15
· Cipher Academy 5
· Kill Blue 3
· Martial Master Asumi 2
--- Double Post Merged, ---

So are the one-shots from Jump Giga up soon.

Last edited:

Blink22

Reaction score
Country
United States
For Undead fans, this latest chapter just changed the scope of the story and had been brilliantly hinted at all the way back to chapter nine of the manga.

Back when we first met the Union, Juiz mentioned God living on “the other side of the book.” Thought that was just a figure of speech, and not something we’d get to see ourselves. This world beneath the earth is his hiding spot alongside his most faithful followers, The Ten Master Rules.

And if we dive deeper into that first Union meeting, Tozuka even gave us hints on which sort of UMAs make up Sun’s alternative round table. Juiz name drops Death, Language, Sex, Race, and Sickness as major rules that have been added to Earth. If this current loop confirms UMA Sick as a Master Rule Member we can deduce that the other named UMAs are indeed Master Rule members.

I guess this explain how Unruin got to know about God, the Union and the loop despite the fact that Juiz had no idea who he was and had never encountered him before. One of these Master Rules told him or must have brainwashed him to be a faithful God follower. This may be why he will be the last negator Fuuko will attempt to recruit because his role will be very important into tying up with these new villains.

Based on these hints and just looking at the new villains, this may be what I think are the members that make up the new round table:

X-Sick
IX-Race
VIII-Language/Knowledge
VII-Luck/Wealth
VI-War/Conquest
V-Justice
IV-Age/Fade
III-Sex
II-Faith/Religion
I-Death

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
For Undead fans, this latest chapter just changed the scope of the story and had been brilliantly hinted at all the way back to chapter nine of the manga.

Back when we first met the Union, Juiz mentioned God living on “the other side of the book.” Thought that was just a figure of speech, and not something we’d get to see ourselves. This world beneath the earth is his hiding spot alongside his most faithful followers, The Ten Master Rules.

And if we dive deeper into that first Union meeting, Tozuka even gave us hints on which sort of UMAs make up Sun’s alternative round table. Juiz name drops Death, Language, Sex, Race, and Sickness as major rules that have been added to Earth. If this current loop confirms UMA Sick as a Master Rule Member we can deduce that the other named UMAs are indeed Master Rule members.

I guess this explain how Unruin got to know about God, the Union and the loop despite the fact that Juiz had no idea who he was and had never encountered him before. One of these Master Rules told him or must have brainwashed him to be a faithful God follower. This may be why he will be the last negator Fuuko will attempt to recruit because his role will be very important into tying up with these new villains.

Based on these hints and just looking at the new villains, this may be what I think are the members that make up the new round table:

X-Sick
IX-Race
VIII-Language/Knowledge
VII-Luck/Wealth
VI-War/Conquest
V-Justice
IV-Age/Fade
III-Sex
II-Faith/Religion
I-Death
OOOHHHH.

Wait you don’t think this was planned to be released at the same time as the anime do you?
--- Double Post Merged, ---

The next episode is when we first meet the Union. And it could possibly be mentioned while matching up to next weeks chapter.

Teennitro

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Wait you don’t think this was planned to be released at the same time as the anime do you?
Authors love referencing early chapters when the anime airs

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
That time again for a monthly check-in.

MamaYuyu's eighth chapter was exactly what the series needed, would absolutely be chapter of the week if One Piece didn't just drop the prelude to the God Valley Incident, one of the most anticipated of the series' lore and history (and it did so this week near flawlessly - seeing plenty of characters from the past all together and some great reveals to boot, it's like OP gold being mined before our eyes). Here's to hoping the repeated criticism of the action in MMYY being bad or that the author isn't skilled enough to do it is put to rest or latest not brought up over again after what was a basically a fully choreographed battle for nearly the entire chapter, and done very very well. So many impactful scenes and signature panelling choices too that I just love picking up on each week, this time being the shards of glass being used as reaction shots, like we got last chapter - which I think also had some good action panels and was a good hint towards what we got this week.

I do get the criticism that the series is still finding its footing/taking its time, and that could very welled up cursing it in the months to come, but I've enjoyed the exploring of the premise/world and the character dynamics a lot, so I've not felt any significant lag or like it's stalling for time. But knowing my shit luck this year it'll flop and people will decide en masse that actually it had it coming/were saying it was bad all along despite it performing well on here for the weekly votes.

Absolutely love Taizan 5's commitment to the bit he has going with The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins. I totally get what he's going for with the series as a whole and the week-to-week insane developments and revelations (you lot still like to use the word 'twist' too freely) and have enjoyed most of his explorations of a fractured family and their failed attempts at piecing it back together and pushing each other further apart due to their flaws. Having the recurring bed sequence come back after we've got the resolution is kind of a chef's kiss moment, love that. I had to laugh when I saw that. If next week is the final chapter I expect it might just be a red herring and it's just to mirror chapter 1 but instead this was just an ordinary accident that they've survived with no lasting repercussion/memory loss/comas and they'll feel collectively stronger as a family because of it. That's my theory.

Also, if/when Ichinose ends next week it must surely go down as one of WSJ's cancellations with the highest circulation numbers (I'm sure someone can confirm or compare with others in the same league as it). With each new volume it's been announced as:
  • Volume 2 - 200,000 copies (100,000 per volume)
  • Volume 3 - 300,000 copies (100,000 per volume)
  • Volume 4 - 450,000 copies (112,500 per volume)
The fact that it's circulation numbers per volume actually increased with v4 as well is extra impressive. Yet again, good sales are nice, circulation is noteworthy (and in this case very worthy of note), but the TOC as we're presented is how we're supposed to judge survivability. On that note...

So I have a question, what is currently in WSJ’s top 10 right now (minus Jajaken’s ToC rank and with the fluctuations of the 11th and 12th place). I know what the 5-6 are.
Not sure if meant the overall average table of contents rankings for 2023 once you take out the colour pages (which Jajaken includes) and unranked series, if so then that's how it's been this year:

Which basically proves the obvious. And if Ichinose and Ice Head Gil are out next that that only leaves Cipher Academy and Martial Master Asumi as the two under performers without a cushion (I smell Two on Ice joining that group too, personally). And once you take out Hunter x Hunter for its unique standing in the magazine, Black Clover for being moved, and Mashle for ending naturally, the next worst performing of the year has been Mission: Yozakura Family which is still doing a lot better than the others and has an anime coming, so anything there or above is just out of the question for now.

Thoughts on the rest of the magazine lately:
  • I thought it was noteworthy that both Mission: Yozakura Family and Kill Blue both had a focus on the experiences of a gay and transgender side character; I don't think either character is particularly well-presented on the whole so far but found it noteworthy that they got a nice showcase at the same time this week.
  • Blue Box is fully a sports series right now and I'm loving that. The new school year has been a good divider for a shift in the series and what it's focusing on, with the chapter this week something that would 100% slot perfectly into a spokon. Speaking of sports, Martial Master Asumi I think is doing pretty good as expected but the combination of its poor sales and poor TOC rankings are not a sign of it lasting much longer. Two on Ice's chapter last week was the best yet, but then again what came before was not very good so... yeah. I find the direction the series is going in to be way less interesting than MamaYuyu, which others like to bring up as a letdown for the series. Not surprised it's got low views and discussion.
  • Kagurabachi is at the point now where the difference in quality between the action and non-action scenes is becoming more and more obvious, like was clear in the Roku no Meiyaku one shot. I still like what it's doing though so I'm curious to see how it'll perform in Japan.
  • I'm quite liking this metaverse arc in Cipher Academy, glad to have it be at a place where I don't feel like Nisio Isin is going OTT and too wordy for the sake of it, and instead we're getting fun character moments. I still don't think it's going to make it further than Q2 of 2024, maybe in the 50 chapter range.
  • The Undead Unluck discussion of doom was a little much. The anime clearly isn't delivering from a sales POV but it seems to be doing a good job covering the material itself, so fans should take what they can and accept unless some miracle happens that it's probably not going to get much of a boost and just won't be a massive hit. Plus it's almost certainly ending in 2024 anyway. The manga itself right now I think is still really bad. The latest return of Andy feels totally out of a left field, like an attempt to inject life into a series that has been intentionally going in circles for months and months on end, adding very little to characterisations that was done enough/better in the previous loop. I just want the series to enter the final conflict soon, hopefully that's where it's going. Please, no more recruiting character XYZ in a 4-5 chapter mini-arc that speeds through their traits and trauma like they're bullet points before jumping to the next immediately, not allowing any room to breathe or feel invested in what made them or their powers interesting the first time around. The final page of this week's chapter gives me hope for something new happening at least.
  • Not the flip side, because I'm always willing to give a series credit even when I don't like it, or say when it improves, Nue's reveal in Nue's Exorcist this week was objectively extremely cool. The past few chapters have been the most promising of the series, even if it does feel like the world building and foreseeable plot of the is being written on the fly and this all wasn't fully planned from the beginning. That can work fine in the long run if it carries on with how it's been going but I still do think Kota Kawae's storytelling is amateurish and he's not the best at delivering on dialogue/exposition in fun or interesting ways. It's too bad that the series is wrapped itself so tightly in a bunch of 00's school fantasy/harem anime and light novel trappings that I almost never ever like and have totally outgrown at this point. Seeing various LN authors recommend it over and over again doesn't surprise me in the slightest, and if I'm being honest I don't correlate quality with that shared audience anyway.
  • And shockingly Akane-banashi is still the best series in Jump, in case anyway didn't know already. The rest of the magazine is performing as I expected them to, not much more thoughts.
Already nearly November again, which means my yearly TOC deep dive post once #52 is out. Before then, I do hope we get a couple serialisations alongside the Dr. Stone 3-chapter spin-off. I echo wanting Shuuichi Asou back - the magazine unironically can do with another good gag manga or two right now. And then maybe Shikigami or last year's GFC winner. Hopefully Burn the Witch Season 2 comes out sooner than later as well, with the one shot adaptation in December now would feel like a good time for it to come back, if not 2024 for sure. I expect Kubo has already done most/all of the manga by now if Season 2 is in production and it's more about timing the release with the anime.

Last edited:

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Thank you ItsSamu. Gives me a lot to think about with how this year has been faring for our current roster for the magazine.

Also, I am the same where I don’t fully jump on the bandwagon on what the group likes if I don’t find the quality up to snuff. But if I fully agree it has to prove it.

Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That’s interesting cause from where I live (USA, California) there is this one Barnes & Nobels that has an entire section for manga (next to the DVD’s and vinyl records) and yet they still have TES but not enough to promote it. Only series that made it big due to their anime adaptations. Mostly JJK and CSM.

Oh and Spy x Family.
just for comparisons (only including series I follow since obviously I can't give numbers for things I don't)
Blue Box is the same as Samurai. Yozakura and Undead get like 3-5 copies in for new volumes but never restocks. Sakamoto and Dandadan get 10 or so then restock. One Piece, JJK, CSM get 20+ (based on the website for all, I've never seen more than 10 copies of a single volume out) and regular restocks. Spy gets ~10 copies but only volumes 1-4 get restocked. Akane too new (only two volumes. I expect it to fall in line with Samurai/BB or Yozakura/Undead though)

Obviously this is for one random bookstore in a mid sized Canadian city so not claiming its the popularity of the western world and I'm just basing on what I see as I don't work there to know how they actually determine these things. I'm just saying series that may seem niche in the western world can always surprise us.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
just for comparisons (only including series I follow since obviously I can't give numbers for things I don't)
Blue Box is the same as Samurai. Yozakura and Undead get like 3-5 copies in for new volumes but never restocks. Sakamoto and Dandadan get 10 or so then restock. One Piece, JJK, CSM get 20+ (based on the website for all, I've never seen more than 10 copies of a single volume out) and regular restocks. Spy gets ~10 copies but only volumes 1-4 get restocked. Akane too new (only two volumes. I expect it to fall in line with Samurai/BB or Yozakura/Undead though)

Obviously this is for one random bookstore in a mid sized Canadian city so not claiming its the popularity of the western world and I'm just basing on what I see as I don't work there to know how they actually determine these things. I'm just saying series that may seem niche in the western world can always surprise us.
Gotcha

Status
Not open for further replies.