Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 501 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #42 (5 Choices At Most)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enezneb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #43 (2024)
HAKUTAKU (Cover & LCP, New Series by Ishikawa Kouki, 54p)
Sakamoto Days
One Piece
Shinobi Undercover (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p)
Blue Box
Jujutsu Kaisen
Me & Roboco (Color Page, 200th Chapter, Announcement of Release Date of the Movie)
Ichi the Witch (3rd Chapter, 23p)
The Elusive Samurai
Kagurabachi
Hima-Ten!
Witch Watch
Akane-banashi
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page, Battle Climax)
Astro Royale
Nue's Exorcist
Kill Blue
Ultimate Exorcist Kiyoshi
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Undead Unluck
Yokai Buster Murakami

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #44 (2024) - Information
Blue Box (Cover & LCP, TV Anime Broadcast Start, Great Popularity)
HAKUTAKU (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p)
Nue's Exorcist (Color Page)
Jujutsu Kaisen (Extra Large Color Page, Final Chapter)
Shinobi Undercover (3rd Chapter, 23p)
One Piece (Absent)

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #45 (2024) - Information
One Piece (Cover & LCP)

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Would actually just take a total Reborn remake anime from start to finish.

Since the art should be rather consistent these days. I don't think the original studio is even around anyway

Last edited:

KrenKren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Solid cover, by the way; somehow I forgot to comment on it.
The colourist, whoever they are, outdid themselves again. They deserve a raise.

I'll probably pick up the series again tonight now it's guaranteed some safety, but wasn't Gakuro's hair green?
Did that change at some point; or did they mess up? Personally I think blonde suits him better.

Crimson Trickster

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
I havent read Nue yet, might be my next manga... but the mc hair color doesnt match him and his outfit at all bro, wtf :crying
Solid cover, by the way; somehow I forgot to comment on it.
The colourist, whoever they are, outdid themselves again. They deserve a raise.

I'll probably pick up the series again tonight now it's guaranteed some safety, but wasn't Gakuro's hair green?
Did that change at some point; or did they mess up? Personally I think blonde suits him better.
It seems to have always been greenish yellow.

JBC008

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Personally i think a ice skating series might be too "normal" for a author like Gondaira, i have no idea what he's going to do next on Jump (maybe the actual GFC winner one shot?), but his works are always comedy centric with crazy stuff.

Fingers crossed to Astro, i swear, if this fails and Wakui get wasted by Jump, i will buy a plan ticket to Japan and kick Nakano out of Jump by myself :pwnge
I’ve been thinking, and this is just my suggestion (and I mentioned this before). Why doesn’t Gondaira try a fantasy adventure battle manga (in the same vein as his favorites One Piece and Hunter x Hunter). But as a suggestion he can incorporate the passions he had before becoming a mangaka when he originally wanted to be an Oceonographer. I know he can do it cause he did a one-shot similar to a fantasy adventure in Ibis, and something similar with his GFC one-shot.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! is completing 20 years of serialization today! 🥳

it started in the issue #26 of 2004 which was published on May 24.
Get ready for D. Gray-Man in the next issue.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Would actually just take a total Reborn remake anime from start to finish.

Since the art should be rather consistent these days. I don't think the original studio is even around anyway
It isn’t. Artland folded up.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I havent read Nue yet, might be my next manga... but the mc hair color doesnt match him and his outfit at all bro, wtf :crying
The hair I give or take on it. But I constantly had a problem with. I always think his nipples are hyperventilating from it.

TheRealTravisty

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is crazy
Not going to lie, that is a pretty sad story. It’s especially sad when people keep talking about how Dragon Ball came up with all of these tropes, not knowing that it was Kinnikuman that did it first. Not to take away from Dragon Ball of course. I’ve been reading it from the beginning since Toriyama’s death and I’m in awe of two things that most manga nowadays seem to like:

1. Clean fighting scenes where it’s easy to tell what’s going on.
2. So much content in 13 pages! One Piece manages to make 19 pages feel pretty packed, but I’m so impressed by how much will happen in a Dragon Ball chapter only to realize that I read 13 pages.

Cerclox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Not going to lie, that is a pretty sad story. It’s especially sad when people keep talking about how Dragon Ball came up with all of these tropes, not knowing that it was Kinnikuman that did it first. Not to take away from Dragon Ball of course. I’ve been reading it from the beginning since Toriyama’s death and I’m in awe of two things that most manga nowadays seem to like:

2. So much content in 13 pages! One Piece manages to make 19 pages feel pretty packed, but I’m so impressed by how much will happen in a Dragon Ball chapter only to realize that I read 13 pages.
There's also the question if Toriyama got inspired by Saint Seiya with the Power of Gold of the Gold Saints to make the Super Saiyan haha

But yeah sadly those series are not as mainstream popular don't get the love for creating these tropes in battle shonen manga that are still being used til today

Last edited:

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Not going to lie, that is a pretty sad story. It’s especially sad when people keep talking about how Dragon Ball came up with all of these tropes, not knowing that it was Kinnikuman that did it first. Not to take away from Dragon Ball of course.
Nobody is claiming Dragon Ball invented tournament arcs and I'm sure Kinnikuman didn't invent them either. Toriyama himself said that he wanted to increase the popularity if DB and because tournament-like stuff such as the Penguin Village Grand Prix were popular in Dr. Slump, he did it again in DB, so it wasn't even the first series where Toriyama did tournament-like stories.

JBC008

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
But yeah sadly series that are not as mainstream popular don't get the love for creating these tropes in battle shonen manga that are still being used til today
I mean look, I get it. But I think it mostly stems from a western mindset. But with titles like Saint Saiya and Kinikuman, they actually have fan bases along with some of their elements being drawn by other mangaka. For example, Bleach was inspired by Gegege no Kitaro for its horror elements, Dragon Ball with the way it draws its villains, and especially Saint Seiya where the foundation of Zanpakto’s came from the similar manner the knights had those pieces of armor. And for One Piece, aside from the Dragon Ball inspiration, Oda is also a fan of Kinikuman and when he was a kid, that is where he sent in a design and continued to use Pandaman. Heck even Mashima and Arakawa are fans and were also inspired by Kinikuman.

TheRealTravisty

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Nobody is claiming Dragon Ball invented tournament arcs and I'm sure Kinnikuman didn't invent them either. Toriyama himself said that he wanted to increase the popularity if DB and because tournament-like stuff such as the Penguin Village Grand Prix were popular in Dr. Slump, he did it again in DB, so it wasn't even the first series where Toriyama did tournament-like stories.
“Nobody is claiming”? This is the kind of thing that has been circling on social media for years. But thank you for your thoughts.

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan

Whenever comes with inventions, it's about who did it the best not the first.

Dongus

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Whenever comes with inventions, it's about who did it the best not the first.
Ohhhh true. Plenty of people attempted to invent an aeroplane, but it's only when the Wright Brothers invented a functioning one, that's the project everyone's gonna reference. You take a successful model in an attempt to make another success. Innovation is part and parcel to the creative process.

Or in more relevant terms to us, everyone would name Mushoku Tensei as the father of isekai, then some internet guy by the name of AffluentCritic111 will reply with, "Nooooo, Alice In Wonderland did the first 'transferred to another world' trope. Even in anime, we had Fushigi Yugi, even Digimon. Mushoku Tensei is hardly the first to use these isekai tropes." Well first of all, fuck you AffluentCritic111, get outta your mother's basement and touch grass. Second of all, it's clear where most modern isekai draw their inspirations from, because Mushoku Tensei provides a functional model that's appealing to otaku. The model of "person gets sent into some guys drug-induced fever dream" or "seven kids get sent to a strange land and pair up with dinosaurs to internalize their home life issues" are not decent models that translate well into the tropes that are popular to otakus. "Guy gets hit by a truck and sent into a fantasy world where he can disassociate from his old life and get some bitches on his dick" is a fully functional otaku model, and that's what people are gonna look to for a piece of fiction to appeal in that market.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I wouldnt name Mushoku Tensei as father of Isekai if you asked me, didnt even knew this series existed until before the anime came out long after have watched a dozen of big popular isekai series, and pretty sure if you ask to most anime fans about big/classic Isekai series they would name series like Re:Zero, No Game No Life, Overlord, Tensei Shitara Slime, Shield Hero and others, so i dont know if its the best example.

Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wouldnt name Mushoku Tensei as father of Isekai if you asked me, didnt even knew this series existed until before the anime came out long after have watched a dozen of big popular isekai series, and pretty sure if you ask to most anime fans about big/classic Isekai series they would name series like Re:Zero, No Game No Life, Overlord, Tensei Shitara Slime, Shield Hero and others, so i dont know if its the best example.
The story goes its the first isekai that got popular on Shosetsuka no Naro and everything big was just following in its footsteps.

The problem with this story is Konosuba started literally a month after it (former Nov 22 2012, later Dec 20 2012) which is a parody of isekai tropes (which wouldn't make sense if those weren't already commonplace. It falls apart even more when you see Re:Zero started April 20 2012 which was originally intended as a Familiar of Zero fan fic which started in 2004. I think Mushoku got that reputation because it was the last of the "originals" to get an anime so it got hyped up passed that to just be "the original" rather than one of them.

Crimson Trickster

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
The story goes its the first isekai that got popular on Shosetsuka no Naro and everything big was just following in its footsteps.

The problem with this story is Konosuba started literally a month after it (former Nov 22 2012, later Dec 20 2012) which is a parody of isekai tropes (which wouldn't make sense if those weren't already commonplace. It falls apart even more when you see Re:Zero started April 20 2012 which was originally intended as a Familiar of Zero fan fic which started in 2004. I think Mushoku got that reputation because it was the last of the "originals" to get an anime so it got hyped up passed that to just be "the original" rather than one of them.
Not to mention, you have Knight's & Magic, which is a mecha isekai.

SunPillar

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, Togo Goto (Phantom Seer's writer) posted a new one shot on Jump+ with a different artist. It's another supernatural series and with the news that he and Matsuura are working on their next serialization, this may be another hint that that's the direction they'll go, even though I'm still rooting for Sports. I will say from what I can tell while supernatural this doesn't seem like Phantom Seer 2.0 like his last one shot. I'm still a Phantom Seer fan and wish it were still around today, but if they're doing a new series I wouldn't want it to feel like a retread.