Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 407 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Enezneb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #22/23 (2024)
One Piece (Lead Color Page)
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Jujutsu Kaisen
Blue Box
My Hero Academia
Kyoukutou Necromance (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p)
Akane-banashi
Sakamoto Days
Kamen Kitan Teo (Color Page, One-shot by Goto Togo & Matsuura Kento, 47p)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, First of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release)
Astro Royale (23p)
Mission: Yozakura Family
Witch Watch
Undead Unluck
Kill Blue
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco
Green Green Greens
Nue's Exorcist

Dear Anemone

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #24 (2024) - Information
Cycle Biyori (Cover & LCP, New Series by Kobayashi Omusuke, 54p)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, Second of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release, 200,000 Copies Sale Celebration)
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page, TV Anime Promotion)
Kill Blue (Color Page)
Kyoukutou Necromance (3rd Chapter, 23p)
Mission: Yozakura Family Side Story (Special Chapter)

Last edited by a moderator:

JBC008

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
To directly answer your question: yes, Roboco has development.

But more than that, Me & Roboco has a lot of variety. By Chapter 1, three of the most popular side-characters had already been established (Gorilla, Motsuo, Meico) and by Chapter 10 there are two more (Madoka, Ruri). Each of these characters have enough personality and unique gags to star in their own manga. By Chapter 9 Gorilla is already carrying his own solo-chapters, and by Chapter 12 Motsuo is doing the same.

It isn't really one 200-chapter manga, it's ten 20-chapter manga interwoven together. It could go on for another 200 chapters without running thin; something that Saiki K struggled to do, because its protagonist was the most interesting characters in those manga, and it still went for 300 chapters. It is something that High School Family and Witch Watch also did well, and they did better than every other gag from the last five years.

On the other hand, I worry about SPPC, which simply does not have the same longevity. It can only go as long as the dynamic between Chojo and Ipponei remains fresh, and I don't imagine that will be more than a year.

As for Dr. Slump, I don't know much about it, but did the characters go to college in the main series, or in the sequel series? That sounds like a final-chapter development.
There was no sequel series. They just graduated high school. And I would only say the closest follow up to the series was a small arc in the Red Ribbon Army arc in Dragon Ball (not Z). And I do agree with you on Sakki K as Sakki was interesting while the rest of the side cast while fun are not as engaging, unlike Witch Watch which all of the characters are engaging. As for SPPC, as much as we have that dynamic with Chojo and Ippongi, there are some other good characters like Cop Bot. And ai do like Lily. Mr. Guy (Chihiro) is okay but not a lot there yet. He is like the Nendo of the series. It almost as if SPPC is like Kochikame, GinTama, and Sakki K all rolled out into one. So I think it will play more to the strengths of that type of humor. But the one thing that I have to remember with Roboco is that this is catered to children. So I shouldn’t put it down as hard. As for the cast all great examples mentioned. So it could be the case with Roboco. It is just that I want those characters than Roboco as I am more engaged with them.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hey everyone, a little off topic about WSJ. It is regarding news involving the Dragon Ball Super series. Now I didn't know this until I went to the SJ app. I saw Boruto, but no Super. So I did some digging and apparently after Toriyama's death, the series went into indefinite hiatus. So for those that are wondering what is happening, I thought about giving that heads up.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, a little off topic about WSJ. It is regarding news involving the Dragon Ball Super series. Now I didn't know this until I went to the SJ app. I saw Boruto, but no Super. So I did some digging and apparently after Toriyama's death, the series went into indefinite hiatus. So for those that are wondering what is happening, I thought about giving that heads up.
Well yes, the last chapter had a message at the end saying it was going on hiatus.

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
There was no sequel series. They just graduated high school. And I would only say the closest follow up to the series was a small arc in the Red Ribbon Army arc in Dragon Ball (not Z). And I do agree with you on Sakki K as Sakki was interesting while the rest of the side cast while fun are not as engaging, unlike Witch Watch which all of the characters are engaging. As for SPPC, as much as we have that dynamic with Chojo and Ippongi, there are some other good characters like Cop Bot. And ai do like Lily. Mr. Guy (Chihiro) is okay but not a lot there yet. He is like the Nendo of the series. It almost as if SPPC is like Kochikame, GinTama, and Sakki K all rolled out into one. So I think it will play more to the strengths of that type of humor. But the one thing that I have to remember with Roboco is that this is catered to children. So I shouldn’t put it down as hard. As for the cast all great examples mentioned. So it could be the case with Roboco. It is just that I want those characters than Roboco as I am more engaged with them.
The Brief Return of Dr. Slump ran for 4 volumes from 1993 to 1994, nearly 10 years after the original ended. I heard there was a timeskip for it, that's why I was curious. I do remember the Red Ribbon Army arc though.

I don't think Chojo will be successful, but it's fun and I'll be happy if it does well. It is catering to a younger audience like Roboco, so we will see how it performs. I know Shun Numa is a favorite of many.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Well yes, the last chapter had a message at the end saying it was going on hiatus.
Oh, it must have been on the release, not in the individual chapters as it say's on the final page of chapter 103 "We're all deeply saddened by the news of Toriyama Sensei's passing. His work is an inspirationto us all. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and all the fans who were touched by his work."

The Brief Return of Dr. Slump ran for 4 volumes from 1993 to 1994, nearly 10 years after the original ended. I heard there was a timeskip for it, that's why I was curious. I do remember the Red Ribbon Army arc though.

I don't think Chojo will be successful, but it's fun and I'll be happy if it does well. It is catering to a younger audience like Roboco, so we will see how it performs. I know Shun Numa is a favorite of many.
Okay, I didn't know about that with Dr. Slump. So thank you galaxy-juice.

As for Chojo it is a wait and see game, and I predict that it will be successful. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. As for younger audiences, I don't know. I feel it leans a little bit older. It is not easy to say what is ment for young to older (ex: Regular Show from Cartoon Network).

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since we are on the subject of series that we want to leave, I want to ask everyone which series in the current roster they want to keep and want to leave (for the latter I don’t want any ridicule or profanity). Also, I won’t go into I’ll start first.
For me, its not so much as wanting series to leave, rather its just wanting them to end due to either feeling like the story has matured and is starting to overstay its welcome..

I think WitchWatch should just go towards its ending, debatably some of the characters just have like one or two chapters worth more of development for their storyline to be over (Nemu and Keigo, Miharu and his classmates, Kanshi (never really had a serious storyline developed), Komugi feels done), and just need one big final fight for Moi (a chapter for him and nico to say their feelings).

Elusive Samurai, really, just resolve Fubuki, and get us to the final fight instead of these tangents and side stories (and speculative history for some of the characters with huge omissions in their real official historical record)

Otherwise, let everything else do as their doing

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
For me, its not so much as wanting series to leave, rather its just wanting them to end due to either feeling like the story has matured and is starting to overstay its welcome..

I think WitchWatch should just go towards its ending, debatably some of the characters just have like one or two chapters worth more of development for their storyline to be over (Nemu and Keigo, Miharu and his classmates, Kanshi (never really had a serious storyline developed), Komugi feels done), and just need one big final fight for Moi (a chapter for him and nico to say their feelings).

Elusive Samurai, really, just resolve Fubuki, and get us to the final fight instead of these tangents and side stories (and speculative history for some of the characters with huge omissions in their real official historical record)

Otherwise, let everything else do as their doing
Okay, fair enough.

You know, after referencing chapter 82 from Bakuman a lot, and how in my letter to Goto, I wonder if he got what I was talking about. Also I wonder if he is a natural genius who writes what he wants, or the calculative type who try to make the next hit. But one thing is for certain going back to chapter 82 Hattori talked about setting and how complex it is. And I for some reason always go back to Cipher Academy and Dear Anemone due to how complex their setting is.

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, fair enough.

You know, after referencing chapter 82 from Bakuman a lot, and how in my letter to Goto, I wonder if he got what I was talking about. Also I wonder if he is a natural genius who writes what he wants, or the calculative type who try to make the next hit. But one thing is for certain going back to chapter 82 Hattori talked about setting and how complex it is. And I for some reason always go back to Cipher Academy and Dear Anemone due to how complex their setting is.
You overthink that line too much. There aren't actually "natural geniuses" and "calculative types". There are people who know how to write something good, and people who don't, and people who are somewhere in-between.

Cipher Academy isn't too complex, it's about a school where people solve puzzles. Dear Anemone isn't either, it's about an island where monsters run around. Zipman and Super Smartphone are better examples of settings that were difficult to grasp.

EDIT:

To elaborate, Zipman is terrible at establishing its premise. I think the gist is that a bunch of super-powered Tokusatsu suits are released into the world, but the first villain they fight is a generic robot, so it isn't really clear what the heroes are up against until we meet the villain team in Chapter 4. Not only that, the fact that the heroes can "collect" powers is confusing when the enemies don't really have special abilities. There are too many pieces too loosely connected to make for an engaging story. It's messy and confusing.

On the other hand, the mechanics in Super Smartphone are well-established and tightly connected, but its rules are vague and hard to quantify. Which, of course, means it is hard to understand or make predictions about. You can skip the puzzles in Cipher Academy and still understand the story. You can't do the same in Super Smartphone, which is a shame. This is basically to what was wrong with RTF in Bakuman.

Last edited:

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
You overthink that line too much. There aren't actually "natural geniuses" and "calculative types". There are people who know how to write something good, and people who don't, and people who are somewhere in-between.

Cipher Academy isn't too complex, it's about a school where people solve puzzles. Dear Anemone isn't either, it's about an island where monsters run around. Zipman and Super Smartphone are better examples of settings that were difficult to grasp.
It’s true I do tend to over think things.

iker_03

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Weekly Oricon Top (April 8-14)
By Series:
01. Jujutsu Kaisen (286,650)
03. My Hero Academia (129,222)
08. Haikyu!! (73,382)

By Volumes:
1. Jujutsu Kaisen #26 (244,222 / 965,594)
3. My Hero Academia #40 (105,114 / 437,027)
11. Dr. STONE #27 (38,874 / 124,071)
22. SAKAMOTO DAYS #16 (23,576 / 98,786)

Last edited:

Friki

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France

Lol Hokazono is certainly a genius but he calculate all his manga, the same for Yuto Suzuki, the first chapters of Sakamoto Days is just here to survive in magazine

Weekly Oricon Top (April 8-14)
By Series:
01. Jujutsu Kaisen - 286,650
03. My Hero Academia - 129,222
08. Haikyu!! - 73,382

By Volumes
1. Jujutsu Kaisen 26 (244,222 / 932,013)
3. My Hero Academia 40 (105,114 / 437,027)
11. Dr. STONE 27 (38,874 / 124,071)
22. SAKAMOTO DAYS 16 (23,576 / 98,786)
Nooooooooooo why not a 100k for Sakamoto Days

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Lol Hokazono is certainly a genius but he calculate all his manga, the same for Yuto Suzuki, the first chapters of Sakamoto Days is just here to survive in magazine
I think for one who is a natural genius who always writes what they want will have to be Oda of a One Piece, while the calculative type is Togashi. But in terms of who I think in the magazine presently in terms of one or the other, I would have to say that Tozuka, Y. Matsui, Fujimaki, Miura, and Suenaga are the geniuses that can write what they want. While the calculative type might be Akutami (but it is debatable cause I feel like they are trying to hard to be on the same levels of his inspirations). It is difficult to say cause I mostly follow that logic while looking at video essays that have followed their history and past interviews.

Hey galaxy, what does RTF mean?

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think for one who is a natural genius who always writes what they want will have to be Oda of a One Piece, while the calculative type is Togashi. But in terms of who I think in the magazine presently in terms of one or the other, I would have to say that Tozuka, Y. Matsui, Fujimaki, Miura, and Suenaga are the geniuses that can write what they want. While the calculative type might be Akutami (but it is debatable cause I feel like they are trying to hard to be on the same levels of his inspirations). It is difficult to say cause I mostly follow that logic while looking at video essays that have followed their history and past interviews.
But Oda does plan pretty extensively. Not everything is calculated in advance, but Oda was planning Wano almost a decade before he reached it. Even though he adds elements as he goes, the broad strokes of the story were in place from the very first arc. Not only that, but he went through like 4 drafts of the one-shot before he could serialize it.

On the other hand Togashi, who started off Yu Yu Hakusho as an episodic slice-of-life, later swapped to a battle series, and ultimately abandoned the entire project for HxH (where everyone has powers based on children's toys, and everyone takes a long break to play an in-universe MMO for several months), seems more like the "draw what you want".

Any artist can be any type, depending on how you define it. It doesn't really mean anything.

Hey galaxy, what does RTF mean?
I meant the Money and Intelligence one-shot, my bad.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Nooooooooooo why not a 100k for Sakamoto Days
I'm optimistic that I think it's close enough to assume it's over 100k if digital is included.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Gege is definitely not calculating type. He often does the complete opposite of what fans like. And his story often full of plot hole.

More like he is the type that does whatever he wants. Somehow despite whatever things that he pull, JJK still remains popular.

The prime example of absolute genius, in my opinion, is Toriyama. I think he admitted in one of the interviews that he basically write Dragonball on the go without much planning. Just see with how he comes up with the android and cell.

That's why the powerscaling and the arcs are quite jarring and lack cohesiveness when you look at it in big picture from start to end. Basically just about Goku beating up more and more powerful enemies. But Dragonball is still the most beloved and entertaining manga ever. I love it so much.

And his lineart are absolutely masterpiece. You can tell it is the brushstroke of masters. His designs are so appealing and his foundation strong. His paneling and composition are so clear and exciting. Humor on point.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

On the other hand, i think Ken Wakui is definitely the calculating type. He adjust his art and storyline depending on his audience. Just look at the tone shift between shinjuku swan, revengers and astro. Really, Astro feel like it is deliberately tailor made for wsj.

And another who i think is definitely calculating is CLAMP. They aren't shueisha, but wow they are so amazingly prolific, with works across so many genres (shoujo, shonen, seinen, josei). They are adjusting tone and art depending on audience. Fyi if anyone not aware, they are a group of 4 people. It is pretty much is a carefully planned studio.

Last edited:

iker_03

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Shoseki Ranking Top 500 (April 18)
5. Jujutsu Kaisen 26
14. My Hero Academia 40
36. Dr. STONE 27
77. SAKAMOTO DAYS 16
219. The Elusive Samurai 15
221. WITCH WATCH 16
262. Mission: Yozakura Family 23
293. Kill Blue 4
492. Me & Roboco 17

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty depressing that it's yet another day with only a single YozaFam volume on the chart. Volumes were supposed to be flying off shelves. The anime is one of the best jump adaptations. I don't understand..just plain sad.