Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 316 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
List of July releases:

Ace of Diamond II 27
Tokyo Revengers 23
EDENS ZERO 16
Danshi Koukousei 10
Soredemo Ayumu 8
A Couple of Cuckoos 7
LOVE or MAGIC 3
Kangibanka 3
Goddess Terrace Cafe 2
Matchmaking of the Amagami Household 1
Lovelock of Majestic War 1
A Saint Joined my Party 1
Tokyo Revengers fanbook

perroloco

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I don't know how long Tokyo Revengers is gonna go on for in the manga but if kodansha was looking for a big time pillar to get their own M+ thing started than they've got it, seems like its blowing up outside of japan as well
Tokyo Revengers
Fire Force
Blue Lock
Kanojo Okarishimasu
To your eternity
The new manga by the quintuplets mangaka (For the mangaka, plus it's interesting to see sentai manga)

I think they have a good lineup right now of popular series.. But also they could have tried back when they had Attack on Titan, but didn't.. so maybe Kodansha is not interested?

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reading the newest Shangri chapter and then seeing vizard drop vol 4 >>>>. Favorite cover so far, Cazzo lowkey best character and design. The current fight is super long but hella satisfying, just always been a sucker for bonds and teamwork. Anime before Blue Lock? :teehee

think they have a good lineup right now of popular series.. But also they could have tried back when they had Attack on Titan, but didn't.. so maybe Kodansha is not interested?
they fumbled the bag badly with this, no disrespect but none of those series listed scream ”worldwide attraction” or “pillar”. Tokyo Rev seems to be a banger in Japan but what’s the west’s online reception? Fire Force and Rent a Girlfriend have very good anime productions but niche crowds, they need something that everybody can enjoy like AOT, FT, NNT. Still hope they just collab with M+ and allow for some Kodansha IPs there. You have Crunchyroll, Mangabox, Vertical, Media Do for translations, figure it out

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Tokyo Rev seems to be a banger in Japan but what’s the west’s online reception?
Scrolling through Bookwalker Global's weekly rankings it doesn't even appear in the top 100. Kodansha titles that do include Nagatoro, Reincarnated as a Slime, Girlfriend, Girlfriend, My Unique Skill Makes me OP at level 14 (doesn't even have an anime). It also doesn't appear in monthly rankings top 100. Volume 20 released mid-April and there is other April volumes still in the top 100 and backlog for stuff like Nagatoro and Slime Diaries with anime currently airing (other stuff like 86, So I'm a Spider, Saint's Magic is Omnipotent, Jobless Reincarnation if we want to leave Kodansha). Fire Force had a volume in early April which also doesn't appear but Rent a Girlfriend's last release was March 9 so makes sense, Girlfriend, Girlfriend having both its English volumes rank makes me think RAG probably does alright.

I think Kodansha's strategy is different from Viz/Shueisha and they probably don't see any reason to make a manga+ equivalent. They have like 10 simulpubs and most are monthly with To Your Eternity, Eden's Zero, Four Knights and Shangri-la being their only weekly ones (with TYE taking regular breaks I hesitate even listing it there) and they seem to prioritize their "digital first" program getting those series out as quick as possible (to use an example Girlfriend, Girlfriend which only has 5 volumes out in Japan, in English released volume 1 in April, 2 in May and 3 in June (when volume 6 releases in Japan) so they got caught up almost immediately. I know people here would like Magazine to be fully officially translated same day as Japan like Jump has but I just don't see that happening honestly.

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I wonder if Blue Lock have same boost as Revengers when it gets anime?

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Reading the newest Shangri chapter and then seeing vizard drop vol 4 >>>>. Favorite cover so far, Cazzo lowkey best character and design. The current fight is super long but hella satisfying, just always been a sucker for bonds and teamwork. Anime before Blue Lock? :teehee

they fumbled the bag badly with this, no disrespect but none of those series listed scream ”worldwide attraction” or “pillar”. Tokyo Rev seems to be a banger in Japan but what’s the west’s online reception? Fire Force and Rent a Girlfriend have very good anime productions but niche crowds, they need something that everybody can enjoy like AOT, FT, NNT. Still hope they just collab with M+ and allow for some Kodansha IPs there. You have Crunchyroll, Mangabox, Vertical, Media Do for translations, figure it out
Blue Lock does scream "pillar" to me and the west enjoys it especially with no anime. Slime is also the biggest so far. I don't think we will see Shangri anime before Blue Lock or anytime soon but I would love to be proven wrong. The manga needs a lot more love.

I wonder if Blue Lock have same boost as Revengers when it gets anime?
With it's current sales and fujo appeal it would be surprising if it doesn't

Lil meen

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Boys vibes? I’m in for sure. Started kind of boring but the last few pages were pretty cool.
It went from generic mha clone to the boys real quick. It seems the people at shonen magazine really liked that show. Definitely excited. Also am I the only one that noticed that shonen magazine is putting out more battle fantasy than usual. It seems they are trying to really get into that market again with NNT gone and the success of shangri la.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
It went from generic mha clone to the boys real quick. It seems the people at shonen magazine really liked that show. Definitely excited. Also am I the only one that noticed that shonen magazine is putting out more battle fantasy than usual. It seems they are trying to really get into that market again with NNT gone and the success of shangri la.
Especially since Jump and Sunday have surrendered the battle shounen market.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Honestly, it's not that he said much to me, the theme "superheroes are actually super-bitches" is quite overused .....

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, it's not that he said much to me, the theme "superheroes are actually super-bitches" is quite overused .....
I mean in America yes. But honestly it is a smart move, my hero is the biggest shonen right now and there aren’t a lot of American styled super hero stories in Japan yet Marvel and DC are super popular in Japan. Idk how big the boys or invincible was in Japan yet there is a huge market in it and it isn’t done a lot in Japan pacifically in the American style super hero sense. This can kind of be seen as the anti MHA while ranger rejects can be seen as the anti super sentai (or japanese super heroes in general). This is super early but due to the uniqueness in the market it is in and the supply and demand of both American super hero manga and dark fantasy manga (jjk, demon slayer, TPN, and AOT) I can see this becoming a hit for the magazine if it plays its cards right and doesn’t reveal itself to be another MHA clone.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Especially since Jump and Sunday have surrendered the battle shounen market.
Not really jump or sunday since half of jump’s serials are battle and shonen sunday has always been a very diverse magazine just like magazine. Champion however has been making a lot less battle manga in exchange of gag/romcoms.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
That theme peaked with Watchmen in 1987. Didn't stop everyone from copying it tho.

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
That theme peaked with Watchmen in 1987. Didn't stop everyone from copying it tho.
I don’t think this, the boys, or invincible are copies of watchmen in any way shape or form if you are referring to these series in particular. All of them are unique in there own way on how they approach this trope.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I don’t think this, the boys, or invincible are copies of watchmen in any way shape or form if you are referring to these series in particular. All of them are unique in there own way on how they approach this trope.
Alan Moore himself said his intentions with works like Marvelman and Watchmen were to liberate comics and open them up to new and fresh ideas, thus creating more diversity in the comics world by showing the industry what could be done with already existing concepts. Instead it had the opposite effect, causing the superhero comic to end up stuck in a "depressive ghetto of grimness and psychosis".
One could argue, all edgy comics either rip off Watchmen to some degree, or greenlight to be published due to Watchmen success.

Status
Not open for further replies.