Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 118 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Please Don't Bully Me Nagatoro volumes 1 and 2, both regular edition and special edition, are receiving reprints

Heiji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan

This Man : Sono Kao wo Mita Mono ni ha Shi wo go to Magazine Pocket.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

This Man : Sono Kao wo Mita Mono ni ha Shi wo go to Magazine Pocket.
Wait, the new series is called 7 x 8 = 56? Just when I thought it'd be difficult to top some of the absurdly long names light novels and WSJ's Seiji Tanaka have come up with, but this may take the cake if true. Is the title only numeric, or does it also have an official title with words instead of numbers?

So This Man got transferred to Magazine Pocket too? From what I could see, This Man sales rankings have been about half to 2/3 what Sensei Sukidesu's volumes were when they were first released. Although I've never read This Man, I do think it's a pretty good strategy to move some series that could still potentially sell decently to their online platform rather than just ax them altogether.

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
From Karin Sora, writer of This Man:

• The transfer is because vol.1 sale didn't meet the goal.
  • They have been promised enough volumes to finish the story in full, so it will get a proper conclusion and volume releases.
  • The questionnaire results have been pretty good, especially in recent arcs, but it didn't get reflected onto sales.

----------------------------

On an unrelated note, I like the start of Shichiha Gojuroku (7x8=56) quite a bit.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
I completely forgot about Blue Lock. I wonder how the reception has been since WSM seems to be moving away from spokon....

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
From Karin Sora, writer of This Man:

• The transfer is because vol.1 sale didn't meet the goal.
  • They have been promised enough volumes to finish the story in full, so it will get a proper conclusion and volume releases.
  • The questionnaire results have been pretty good, especially in recent arcs, but it didn't get reflected onto sales.

----------------------------

On an unrelated note, I like the start of Shichiha Gojuroku (7x8=56) quite a bit.
Interesting. It's not often that the situation for a series is described so quickly and concisely by the author. Although I don't follow it, good for him that they're letting him finish his vision on their mobile platform. Basing the decision off the first volume, unless it was way under the number, just goes to show how competitive this magazine is right now.
I completely forgot about Blue Lock. I wonder how the reception has been since WSM seems to be moving away from spokon....
It'll be interesting to see how it sells. It hasn't been immediately trapped in the bottom of the TOC like Kiss & Cry was, so it at least has that fact going for it. Has anyone here read any of it and have any opinions on whether they think it's good or not?

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
you got a link? i'm interested cause I've checked out Killer Killer. I like Gambler Paradise but the art is a humongous disappointment. It doesn't fit the series at all. Wouldn't of bothered if Kodaka wasn't involved.

Edit: found it, it was good. Magazine has a great line up with some gems in the pocket app.

Last edited:

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha
#49 Cover:

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
why do they feel the need to talk in English when talking about Edens Zero

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet has 2 million copies now. Hopefully the anime will help give it a nice boost. I've really been enjoying the adaptation so far

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
the backlogs soared right after the anime premiered which mean definitely a good boost from the anime

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Well, it took longer than expected, but here it is.

costicla

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Well, better late than never. Wonder if Bones will adapt this one like they did Soul Eater.

DoctorNero

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
So, I saw this tweet and decided to check out the manga, I'm 3 volumes in and like it quite a lot, even though I have 10 other on my reading list that I haven't started.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
So, I saw this tweet and decided to check out the manga, I'm 3 volumes in and like it quite a lot, even though I have 10 other on my reading list that I haven't started.
I'd say the manga has gone by mostly unnoticed, surprisingly enough, even if it's from an author with a very popular previous work. It's one of my favorite weekly shonen series for sure. It would be nice if the anime ended up being good, it would help raise awareness about the series.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say the manga has gone by mostly unnoticed, surprisingly enough, even if it's from an author with a very popular previous work. It's one of my favorite weekly shonen series for sure. It would be nice if the anime ended up being good, it would help raise awareness about the series.
WSM is really stepping it up with all of the anime adaptation they've been giving out lately. Everything about Juliet's adaptation has been great, from the voice acting to the animation. Even the pacing has been really great. Domestic na Kanojo is getting one, Gotoubun's adaptation I think will cause the series to skyrocket even more than it already is. It has seriously been growing at an incredible exponential rate in Japan and elsewhere online around the world. Ahiru is getting one, and now so is Fire Force. This will help them keep pace with WSJ's Zumo, Neverland, Kimetsu, WNL and now Dr. Stone (probably) all getting anime adaptations.

Eden's Zero is all but guaranteed to receive an anime adaptation at some point, and Fumetsu will probably get something as well at some point in time given the author's previous success (whether it'll be an animated TV series or movie I'm unsure). Kanojo Okarishimasu and Tokyo Revengers are both also prime candidates given their success. Runway would make a nice show, but I could see this going down the route of a live-action series. Senryuu would be amazing, but I think it'd be a bit challenging to adapt since the main heroine doesn't actually speak her lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.