Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 121 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cody

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Here is a list of some manga from Weekly Magazine and what chapters they were at when they got their anime announcements.

Go-Toubun no Hanayome 49
Koe no Katachi 63
Nanatsu no Taizai 74
Fuuka 119
Days 134
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo 137
Code Breaker: 140
Fairy Tail 141
Diamond no Ace Act II - 147 - NEW -
Enen no Shouboutai - 151
Domestic na Kanojo 194
Kimi no Iru Machi 220
Baby Steps 292
Diamond no Ace 332
Ahiru no Sora 572

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know where I could possibly find raw chapters of Hajime no Ippo? I'm really just looking for them so I can see what the page numbers are on the bottom of the page so I can add the series to my TOC spreadsheet. I found a screenshot on Youtube that had a page number for Issue 50, and there wasn't a chapter in Issue 51, so I'll I'm missing for the 2018 year is Hajime no Ippo's placement in Issue 52

argon95

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Does anyone know where I could possibly find raw chapters of Hajime no Ippo? I'm really just looking for them so I can see what the page numbers are on the bottom of the page so I can add the series to my TOC spreadsheet. I found a screenshot on Youtube that had a page number for Issue 50, and there wasn't a chapter in Issue 51, so I'll I'm missing for the 2018 year is Hajime no Ippo's placement in Issue 52
Ippo is only in the print version of the magazine, it is not in the electronic version

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I think you can try asking the r/hajimenoippo, they are pretty active and the Manga Editors are active there too

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you can try asking the r/hajimenoippo, they are pretty active and the Manga Editors are active there too
Thanks! I'll ask and see if I can figure it out. Once I figure out Hajime's ranking in Issue 52, I'll be able to finalize my charts for WSM this weekend

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Meanwhile, Sunday be like....
I can kinda understand considering that the magazine these days is quite minor in comparison to WSM and WSJ. Still, if we look at the anime of the magazine in the decade, they do have way less than they could.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

2018 was a stellar year for Weekly Shonen Magazine, if I do say so myself. Many of the romcoms that premiered last year have really blown up, especially Go-Toubun no Hanayome and Kanojo, Okarishimasu. The manga adaptation of Bakemonogatari has been a huge success, and Eden's Zero has also been growing quickly. There were 12 new series that premiered in 2018, and of those 12, 9 of them are still around in the magazine. The beginning of the year started off with a few 2017 series getting axed (Kessen, World End, and Tsue Petit), but as for axing, the only series to get axed Jump-style was Kiss & Cry, which while it had good art, the story really drug.

A handful of prominent older series concluded this year, including Tsurezure Children, Hoshino, Me wo Tsubutte, and Fuuka. Real Account was also transferred out to Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, returning from whence it came lol. WSM has been dishing out anime adaptations as of late; including ones for Kishuku, Ahiru, Go-Toubun, Daiya no Ace, Enen, and Domestic. Does this mean we could even see an anime adaptation of Bakemonogatari one day (sarcasm lol)? I'd say there a ton of more growth that could be had from their current line-up, so it seems like a wise move to dish out some anime adaptations while the iron's hot.

Now for some additional stats. The most color pages went to Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet, Eden's Zero, and Days with 6 color pages each. Although this is half of the number of the 2018 WSJ series with the most color pages, WSM does a better job dispersing color pages more evenly among all of its series. The perfect attendance record (appearing in all 48 issues) goes to 6 series: Days, Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet, Tokyo卍Revengers, Runway de Waratte, Kanojo Okarishimasu, and Go-Toubun no Hanayome. The series with the lowest standard deviation (lower = position in TOC changes less each week; higher = position in TOC changes more each week) was 8-jou no Carnival in a negative way and Eden's Zero in a positive way. The highest standard deviation went to Ahiru no Sora.

What does the future hold for WSM in 2019? The answer is simple: the ultimate destruction of the internet due to Go-Toubun no Hanayome waifu wars once the anime airs. Japanese Twitter fans already blow up posts online, and even 4chan threads quickly reach the post limits due to this phenomenon lol. But more seriously, I think we'll see some nice growth overall. While series like Yoru probably aren't long for this world, most of the other ones should continue to grow. I think it'll be challenging to have larger serialization rounds in 2019 since I don't think the editors would want to disrupt an older series that is still selling well to risk putting in a new one, and since so many series are selling well right now, that really only leaves a couple of revolving door spots for unsuccessful new serializations. Perhaps Ahiru or Domestic could end after their adaptations, but who knows at this point. I believe Nanatsu may also be ending this year, so that would leave a huge void to fill with another adventure/action series. But no matter how things shake out, hopefully it'll be an amazing year for WSM!

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
If this is an anime adaptation, I'd be completely over the moon! I'm genuinely shocked, since although it sells decently, it is still lower than most of the rest of the magazine. I'd say that Kanojo Okarishimasu and Tokyo Revengers are both basically guaranteed an anime adaptation at some point now. Ordinarily I'd include Runway de Waratte as well, but I could see that getting some sort of live action drama as well

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm curious at how the anime will be with senryu shoujo. and yeah, many anime announcements from magazine this year lol

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker

same CV as the manga PV huh
Congrats to the mangaka, I love Masakuni's works and I'm glad this great series is getting an anime. WSJ and Magazine are doing their best to animate their promising manga.

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

same CV as the manga PV huh
And the hype just keeps compounding! This is an incredibly pleasant surprise. I was positive Kanojo Okarishimasu would've been next

Kocksmaw

Reaction score
Country
United States
When there's still no PV for the Go-Toubun anime...:emocat

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Coming Spring 2019.
Lowered expectations for this.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Coming Spring 2019.
Lowered expectations for this.
I'm still feeling pumped. I'm still too excited from the announcement to lower my hype for something I've looked forward too for so long

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I've been updating this quite often lately lol.

Here is a list of some manga from Weekly Magazine and what chapters they were at when they got their anime announcements.

Go-Toubun no Hanayome 49
Koe no Katachi 63
Nanatsu no Taizai 74
Senryuu Shoujo 109 - NEW -
Fuuka 119
Days 134
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo 137
Code Breaker: 140
Fairy Tail 141
Diamond no Ace Act II - 147
Enen no Shouboutai - 151
Domestic na Kanojo 194