Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Hokenshitsu didn't strike me as much of a shounen series. It did have a battle towards the end of the one-shot, but overall it felt like a horror-comedy with shounen elements.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I have a hunch it will be a mix of school life, action, and super natural. Shonens not really a genre, it's a target audience. While Neuro felt like it was being written for someone else, a very subversive feel Gintama also has, Hokenshitsu feels very much like something targeting teenagers. At least from the perspective of someone who has outgrown Young Jump's target audience :p
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I agree that it does seem to be more teen oriented than the other two you mentioned. I'm hoping it's better than the one-shot seeing as that could get boring after a while.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I can't remember if I've said it before so I'll say it again :p

There are plenty of series based on one shots far worse then Hokenshitsu. Bleach, Naruto, and D. Gray Man all had horrific pilots. Death Notes was pretty bad, now that I think about it. While my expectations aren't to high, I'll read it with an open mind.
 

M-Hario

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
112
Reaction score
615
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

#41 HQ cover scanned by [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude:



Moderator Notice:
Added!!~ Kaiten.Sama
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm going really confused which series going to axe on next round. Medaka is getting bland and kind of rushing toward the ending, Kagijin had been boring after chapter 1 but it got better since chapter 7, and Wajimania going to die for sure. I always hope that Kagijin dies to protect Medaka, but after reading both series' recent chapters, I'm hoping Kagijin survives instead of Medaka.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I didn't see any improvement at all in Kagijin's chapter 7. It's still as crappy as ever. And what makes you think Medaka is rushing towards the ending? I haven't read this week's chapter yet, but last week's one did introduce a lot of new characters, so I don't see it ending anytime soon.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

tried to read the ToC page but all i could see was that Akaboshi volume 1 is coming out on October.

Medaka Box is getting worse and worse.
i never really felt Kagijn to be bad though...
 

coinanmat

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
67
Reaction score
10
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I have lost intrest in Medaka as well as Kagijin. Both series I thought were cool when they started but I think they have lost some of that apeal. Kagijin might be able to hang on for the rest of the year but there's a good chance Medaka could be canceled.
@ruggia, I bet if Akaboshi vol. 1's sales are not that good, there could be a strong possiblity that Shonen Jump might cancel that series. I liked Akaboshi when it first came out but now its kinda meh.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

We still don't know whether Medaka going to be cancel or not. But, it is definite that Kagijin is better than Medaka on this week.
 

coinanmat

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
67
Reaction score
10
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Medaka will probably survive for the rest of the year as well as Kagijin but I think Akaboshi is doomed.
On another note, Im glad to see Bleach has a high rating as well as GinTama.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Medaka will probably survive for the rest of the year as well as Kagijin but I think Akaboshi is doomed.
Didn't you see this week's ToC? It won't be doomed just because you don't like it. Get over it.

But, it is definite that Kagijin is better than Medaka on this week.
No it's not. I'm not saying Medaka isn't going through a bad arc right now, but Kagijin was and still is the worst thing in the mag, hands down.
 

coinanmat

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
67
Reaction score
10
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I never said that, what I said was Kagijin will probably survive for the rest of the year. I never said that it was doomed. I am well aware of the ratings. Thats for issue 41, that's not saying its rating could drop for issue 42.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Kagijin has been bland since Chapter 2 and has not been better than Medaka or recent Akaboshi. I don't think its the worst series in the mag, but it is definitely in the bottom tier.

Akaboshi has improved somewhat with recent chapters but I need to see more before I believe it actually is worthy of living. It is another fish in a sea of battle manga.

I think Medaka Box's problem is that it jumps all over the place too fast. It has battle elements, school life elements, and ecchi elements. Once it manages to balance those aspects out I think it will be able to rise.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Out of curiosity, is anyone else interested at all in the two new series? Considering there was just a cut, unless HxH comes back soon, nothing else will end until the last week of November I'm far more interested in what's coming then going.

Raws for Hokenshitsu are out. It looks like he did change a little from the one shot. Definitely looks interesting. The art for chapter one was outstanding. I'm very curious about Lilienthal; it looks odd but in an interesting way. It doesn't look like a typical Jump series, usually a sign of quality.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

well, i read Hokenshitsu, and i actually liked it a lot better than the oneshot.
the mangaka seems to have decided to make some changes to the characters.
it wasn't that bad. nothing outstanding, but pretty solid, and definetly better than the oneshot. it could get interesting if the characters develop and more plot comes along. so i think i'll keep reading this one.

Liliental..... i still don't plan on reading it, but i might take a peek when it comes out.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Out of curiosity, is anyone else interested at all in the two new series? Considering there was just a cut, unless HxH comes back soon, nothing else will end until the last week of November I'm far more interested in what's coming then going.

Raws for Hokenshitsu are out. It looks like he did change a little from the one shot. Definitely looks interesting. The art for chapter one was outstanding. I'm very curious about Lilienthal; it looks odd but in an interesting way. It doesn't look like a typical Jump series, usually a sign of quality.
Hokenshitsu hasn't grabbed me whatsoever even after seeing the raw.

Lilienthal has caught my eye slightly but I'll wait for the raw/scans first before I make any judgment calls on its quality.

Although I still get the vibe of "cannon fodder" from them both like I did Hoop Men.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The one shot of Lilienthal actually looked decent, like there was some potential for lulz. If it's translated it can't hurt to try it. I'm not looking for the greatest manga of all time from Hokenshitsu, just something entertaining. Since chapter one looks like a rewrite of the one shot, I have a feeling it will read more like a prologue. I'll at least give it a volumes worth of chapters before I judge :)

With new series I feel like there is no harm in trying them even if they just look okay. A chapter of manga takes ten minutes or to read and since there's no back chapters to catch up on theirs no harm in trying. If a series sucks it can be dropped.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Looks like there is no OP next week: it's not listed in the "next time" listing anywhere. I know that this happens all the time but it always seems to get pulled at one of those climactic moments.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top